Fractal Audio Systems VP4 - Virtual Pedalboard

Whilst I use and am am very happy with my FM3 ... this is probably not going to be a popular take.

Its US $50 more than the HXFX and the HXFX has an absolute sh*t-ton more of everything - except for not having a variable Input Impedance which is an issue for some.

I've spent a lot of time with the HX line and the Axe line ... I find the "but its Fractal level EFX" to be irrelevant in terms of gigging .... for home recording purposes ... maybe (?)

But that's just me.

I do expect though that Fractal will sell *a f*ck-ton* of these to traditional Strymon buyers / users ... especially at the US $699 price point.

Strymon has got to be looking at this and thinking this is a very big potential problem for them - I can see a lot of Strymon units hitting Reverb etc... in the coming weeks.

Anyway ... that's how I see it.

Regardless of my opinion .. its great to see Fractal grow and add to their line of hardware .... awesome for everyone !

Wouldn't it have been better with a send and return so that you could put an amp modeler or profiler in between drive and time-based effects? What am I missing here, because greater minds have not brought this up...

Second one looks way better, to me.
That’s the one on the website sale page.
Why are you taking to yourself.
IMG_2532.gif

I only showed up to see who would create the official thread. @laxu ?? Really??

You aren't allowed to bitch about the UI then! Those are the rules!

Thoughts watching @2112's great video.

Like:

• To nobody's surprise, fx sound great!
  • Using the knob to select between "layers" is a clever way to simplify what you are doing.
  • Adding fx, and getting to the new fx parameters is pretty easy.
  • The simplified parameters for fx is a very welcome feature that I hope ends up in the other Fractal products too.
  • Being able to activate another effect with a footswitch while you are editing a different one is good.
  • Showing the list of scenes when changing them is good, easy to find another one if you hit the wrong footswitch.
  • Preset/mix routing page is a nice way to easily set the mix of fx and series/parallel.
  • It has USB interface capabilities! Not sure how I'd use these, might work for reamping tracks?
  • VP4-Edit looks really nice, a good simplified version of Axe-Edit.

Dislike:

• Selecting the fx category is the Axe-Fx style cumbersome "cycle type one by one". I think having a list pop up like on Helix would be nice to get to what you want faster.
  • With a long list of fx, like on the reverb, getting to the end of the list might be a bit of a pain in the ass.
  • Getting to editing of fx could be faster. I think you now need to scroll to the block and press Enter. This works, but is not super fast for adjusting.
  • When editing an effect, I think the onscreen knobs could be a bit bigger? Hard to say.

Wishlist (getting in my UI ideas early!):

1. When in Effects layer, let me press the button on the knobs to go to edit that effect, even if I am currently editing another one.

Example, with active fx in bold: I have CMP - DRV - DLY - REV. I adjust my DRV to a higher volume, but find my DLY time is too high. I press knob C, and delay settings pop up. Ok, now I find that maybe I should also tweak my DRV again, so I press knob B to go back to DRV.

This would greatly enhance editing presets where the combination of effects makes a cohesive sound, e.g that Pog style preset Leon demoed.
The current functionality seems to be that knob press = choose fx type. I'd rather have the option to reverse this so that Enter = change type.

I find that when I have settled on the fx types, the thing I want to do most is edit the block, not change its type.

2. Indicator on the home page for parallel routing.

I find that on my SA Collider I often don't remember if the delay and reverb are in series or parallel. Would be neat if Fractal could cram in some indicator for this. Maybe a little bar on the block that says "parallel", or a little P in the corner or something?

Depending on EU prices, might have to buy this and see how it works for me.

The audience won't know, but I will. I buy gear for my own joy and inspiration, and there is a massive difference between Helix effects and Fractal ones.

I totally %100 agree with your first point and am the same ...... not sure sure though I would describe the difference as "massive" .... but that's just me/my ears.

Each to their own, as it should be.

@nicolasrivera wheres the app for controlling this over Bluetooth? I can’t find it in the App Store. Also, why isn’t anyone making use of the touchscreen in any of these videos? Weird.
I asked Cliff if there was a Bluetooth chip inside but haven’t gotten a response. Makes sense. Letting that out of the bag before a mobile app was available would cause a Nerual DSP level extinction event.

Back