• Lab grown "safe & guilt-free" toe meat

Results are only viewable after voting.
That case in an empty state is giving me a hernia; let alone fully loaded
Season 9 Chandler GIF by Friends
Ahh that’s not that bad for hernia inducing
When I am looking for that experience I also turn to Mesa Boogie combos,
Pure solid stained wood shell
Circa 1985 , and oversize armour plated 412s

Check the sales of units the size of the Quad Cortex or smaller.
Now check the sales of FM9, Helix Floor, etc.

People who want a boat at their feet are not a majority these days.
So they buy the smaller one and build it out on a 36” pedalboard with a MIDI controller and two exp pedals and some external shit and …. End up with a boat at their feet? Most of the people complaining about the size play at home or have super niche needs (musical theater, cruise ship).

Most of the people complaining about the size play at home or have super niche needs (musical theater, cruise ship).

I'm calling BS on this part.
First off, if anyone needs a foot boat it'd be someone in musical theater.
Secondly, I'm certain there's still lots of gigging guitarists who still get by just fine
with the tried and true 1 amp and a couple of pedals.
They just don't hang around gear forums - for obvious reasons. :LOL:

I'm calling BS on this part.
First off, if anyone needs a foot boat it'd be someone in musical theater.
Secondly, I'm certain there's still lots of gigging guitarists who still get by just fine
with the tried and true 1 amp and a couple of pedals.
They just don't hang around gear forums - for obvious reasons. :LOL:
Yeah, because they forgot which sticky note has the password to log in to the computer.

So they buy the smaller one and build it out on a 36” pedalboard with a MIDI controller and two exp pedals and some external shit and …. End up with a boat at their feet? Most of the people complaining about the size play at home or have super niche needs (musical theater, cruise ship).

Lots of people use the FM3 for a fly rig. It's awesome for that purpose if you can get along with 3 switches. I do think if they could either provide 6-8 switches in a similar (or slightly larger) size that would be a great option.

Lots of people use the FM3 for a fly rig. It's awesome for that purpose if you can get along with 3 switches. I do think if they could either provide 6-8 switches in a similar (or slightly larger) size that would be a great option.
I think reusing the same chassis setups they were already having made forced the form factor, which isn’t the greatest way to come up with a design IMO. I was looking at an FM3 pretty hard, but I just do not like the form, same with FM9. I’d rather fight some things with Helix and get the format I want.

I think reusing the same chassis setups they were already having made forced the form factor, which isn’t the greatest way to come up with a design IMO. I was looking at an FM3 pretty hard, but I just do not like the form, same with FM9. I’d rather fight some things with Helix and get the format I want.
Yep, a footswitch is not the best shape for an interface, and it shows. While I'm still seriously considering my options with Fractal, I always remember a user's particular comment when the QC was shipped and placed beside an FM3 in a photo:

"Damn, that thing looks like soviet-era tech next to the Quad Cortex!"

Tones and all other issues aside, it's still true.

I just don't get it how people get along with 3 footswitches for a show. My Helix (as a pedalboard replacement) is set up with 4 snapshots, tap, tuner/mute, boost, tremolo, reverb switch (spring vs. plate), delay switch (slapback vs. timed 8th), feedbacker, sustain and I still wish for more switches to switch overdrives, effects or snapshots. It's still more compact and especially lighter than my previous pedalboard. But fewer switches would mean more presets or snapshots to organize everything needed, more programming, more thinking, less playing. I'd wish for more flexibility programming the switches though, then I might get along with 10, but less? But I have to admit, I'm a kitchen sink guy.

I just don't get it how people get along with 3 footswitches for a show. My Helix (as a pedalboard replacement) is set up with 4 snapshots, tap, tuner/mute, boost, tremolo, reverb switch (spring vs. plate), delay switch (slapback vs. timed 8th), feedbacker, sustain and I still wish for more switches to switch overdrives, effects or snapshots. It's still more compact and especially lighter than my previous pedalboard. But fewer switches would mean more presets or snapshots to organize everything needed, more programming, more thinking, less playing. I'd wish for more flexibility programming the switches though, then I might get along with 10, but less? But I have to admit, I'm a kitchen sink guy.

3 Fractal footswitches are pretty supercapable. Insanely versatile, and easily programmable. That being said, I still opted to move up to the FM9, but that was also because of the greatly increased horsepower.

I used to think the Helix floor was huge, but it's really only 2" wider than a Pedaltrain Classic and exact same depth. And only 4" wider than my PT Jr, which was my main board for 10 years or so. It's actually a perfect size for live use (if all you're using is it, pretty big to start adding stuff on.)

3 foot switches WITHOUT SCROLLING LEFT AND RIGHT can get you 8 scenes (by name) (SAME AS HELIX), tap tempo and tuner. It's super easy.

Last edited:
Don't forget compatibility with their existing foot switches. They all match. By design, not by being forced into anything.

Don't forget compatibility with their existing foot switches. They all match. By design, not by being forced into anything.
An FM9 with an FC12 next to it and it’s only 30’ long or whatever. Still looks more like a choice of opportunity and not design, imo.

Back