• None of the above

• Electric sex pants

• Unsliced Bread

• JiveTurkey's resolve to "innovate" with audio signal routing

• Lab grown "safe & guilt-free" toe meat

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
At the end of the day I feel "bad" for Cliff and their team. To put work in on a product and just hear how bad it is before it's even announced must be rough.

Guess it can go for any new product these days to be honest. Not sure what people expect anymore
This is sadly what happens with every release from any brand. Then when the shitstorm settles and the loudmouths gone away, the positive things is heard. Somehow, everything negative is always louder than the positive.

This is sadly what happens with every release from any brand.
In a way companies in general choose it by creating hype, especially when it goes on for too long.
At least Fractal hardly did it this time... and still got bitten, I guess...
I wouldn't yet fear for its success though.

There's always some asshole that's going to expect something like the VP4 to cost $399 in 2024, when there's no indication it could possibly even be made for that, much less sold retail. People have no fucking idea what goes into designing, making, marketing, and selling MI gear in 2024, with such a small slice of the world pie. These aren't fucking smartphones being sold to billions of people.

It's quite possible we could add more blocks in future firmware. I can envision, say, four switchable blocks and two fixed blocks per preset. The fixed blocks are always on. The switchable blocks can be bypassed/engaged. Or four fixed blocks and four switchable blocks.

It's just software. It's a fairly powerful processor, more powerful than the FX8 had, but our algorithms have continued to increase in complexity and require more processing power than things did back in the FX8 days.

At the end of the day I feel "bad" for Cliff and their team. To put work in on a product and just hear how bad it is before it's even announced must be rough.

Guess it can go for any new product these days to be honest. Not sure what people expect anymore
I agree
But if you think this thread contains stiff comments..stay away from threads on ndsp or Kemper releases ;)…compared to those this is child play!

It's quite possible we could add more blocks in future firmware. I can envision, say, four switchable blocks and two fixed blocks per preset. The fixed blocks are always on. The switchable blocks can be bypassed/engaged. Or four fixed blocks and four switchable blocks.

It's just software. It's a fairly powerful processor, more powerful than the FX8 had, but our algorithms have continued to increase in complexity and require more processing power than things did back in the FX8 days.
I really appreciate your participation here.
I’m a man of few words lol

This thing is going to slap. I’m pumped.

Hopefully FAS really gets this out to the pedal community effectively (and some pedal tubers like Mark Johnston, and Stefan from PedalZone ) and outside of the strictly modeler crowd. (Though I’m eager for the LT demo) This is going to slot in nice for those that like to swim in the deep end of the effects market with Strymon and Eventide stuff.

Last edited:
I wonder how much of this is just bedroom hacks (like me) feeling bad that it wasn't something ultracomplex and powerful they could buy to feel superior. Maybe some weird subconscious gatekeeping, because fas is putting out a simplified product that might have mass appeal.
I think it is sort of natural to expect a company like Fractal to have a consistent "we're always going to be the complicated do-everything company" but really... this VP4 makes total sense business wise I think.

1. How much further can you really go in terms of amp realism? When the general public puts an Axe3, Quad Cortex, and Helix side-by-side constantly on Youtube and the like, and comes up with the inevitable answer that "they're all good, they just sound different" ... any further enhancements are really just a matter of perfection. But never let perfection be the enemy of good. IMHO.

2. There's a huge swathe of people out there who don't use modelling. Forums like this one and TGP are more or less echo-chambers where most people are digital enthuasiasts. But a fuck ton of people out there are not interested in modellers, and even if they are, they're not interested in spending $1500+ on a modelling solution. The VP4 is for those people.

3. Cliff already said it, but this product is for people who play live. Again, a lot of people on forums do not play live, have never been in a band, never toured, and never really leave the house with their music. I'm not besmirching that, and I have no problem with it. But it is a fact of life. Their experience colours their perception of products like this. But I'm telling you, there is going to be a significant proportion of people out there who have been waiting for this.

Axe3 is too cumbersome to use with a valve amp. FM9 requires too much floor space. FM3 isn't optimized for it and doesn't have enough switches. This is a sweet spot pedal I feel, that Cliff and co are well aware is going to be used on boards full of analog drives and compressors, GigRig type loop switchers, and all sorts of configurations like that. It is explicitly NOT a product for your average Youtube guitarist.

IMHO, YMMV, m2p, etc etc.

This thing is going to slap. I’m pumped.

Hopefully FAS really gets this out to the pedal community (and some pedal tubers like Mark Johnston, and Stefan from PedalZone ) and outside of the modeler crowd. This is going slot in nice with those that like to swim in the deep end of the effects market with Strymon and Eventide stuff.
That's the target market. We have more products in the pipe for that market.

Could be cool. Long as their bypass states were linked to the currently selected scene, that might appease some of these nay-nay-nellies!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back