• None of the above

• Electric sex pants

• Unsliced Bread

• JiveTurkey's resolve to "innovate" with audio signal routing

• Lab grown "safe & guilt-free" toe meat

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m imagining an Amp/Cab only box, similar in footprint to the VP-4 that could integrate with the VP-4 digitally using the S/PDIF, essentially expanding the VP-4 into an eight footswitch Amp Modeler/Effects Processor.
That would probably clean house. Would shit all over a Kemper Player and Nano Cortex in terms of breadth of sounds, and then you hook it up to .. fuck I dunno, a Boss RV5... whatever.... would be dope!!

I’m imagining an Amp/Cab only box, similar in footprint to the VP-4 that could integrate with the VP-4 digitally using the S/PDIF, essentially expanding the VP-4 into an eight footswitch Amp Modeler/Effects Processor.
the-simpsons-homer-simpson.gif

The revelation that the VP4 is using a TI DSP is huge news IMO.

I believe the Axe-Fx III uses a TMS320C6672 (1.5Ghz for the Turbo, 1.25Ghz for the normal) so it's possible the VP4 uses a TMS320C6671 (1GHz?)

If so, that's a pin-compatible version of the DSP in the Axe-Fx III.
So Fractal will ship a board design using the TMS320C6671 that's pin compatible with the DSP in the Axe-FX III that fits in a VP4 size enclosure.

What could that mean for a future FM3/FM9? :rollsafe

Edit: VP4 does not use the TMS320C6671

Last edited:

I believe the Axe-Fx III uses a TMS320C6672 (1.5Ghz for the Turbo, 1.25Ghz for the normal) so it's possible the VP4 uses a TMS320C6671 (1GHz?)

If so, that's a pin-compatible version of the DSP in the Axe-Fx III - so Fractal will ship a board design with that DSP that fits in a VP4 size enclosure.

Makes sense to go full-TI and ditch the Sharc. Would make it a hell of a lot simpler to port firmware between each unit.

If so, that's a pin-compatible version of the DSP in the Axe-Fx III - so Fractal will ship a board design with that DSP that fits in a VP4 size enclosure.

The VP4 uses a SoC. It has an ARM Cortex A15 core and a C66x core along with a bunch of peripherals. The DSP in the Axe-Fx III would be too power-hungry for this application.

What's the likelihood that it can run two looper blocks?

How much looping time, free memory, does the VP4 have?
A looper has been mentioned as a possibility in a future update , whether its a block or add on to the current four is unknown.
Time, memory etc only Fractal knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back