• None of the above

• Electric sex pants

• Unsliced Bread

• Prosthetic "tone fingers"

• JiveTurkey's resolve to "innovate" with audio signal routing

• Lab grown "safe & guilt-free" toe meat

Results are only viewable after voting.
Not the case any more.

There is absolutely no way plugins would devalue what Fractal do, aside from opening up to a way bigger market, it would funnel more HW sales too. Its happened time and time again where companies have resisted plugins for a long time, feeling that the risk is too big, only to realise afterwards that it pays off massively.

Do NDSP/Line 6/IK/Eventide/Strymon/Lexicon suffer from plugins existing? have all the plugin emulations of 1176’s, Neve’s, Pultec’s, Distressors, LA2A’s and everything else led to a decline in HW use? Literally the opposite thing happens, people try the plugins, and down the line some of those people buy HW too.

Would plugins stop all the touring bands who currently use Axe FX’s from using those live? are the sort of people who are pirating software people that are likely to spend $3000 on a HW modeller? These are people that would rather steal than open their own wallet, they are not people that should be taken THAT seriously.

Similarly, if the only reason I need to own an entire Axe FX is to “protect its value”, then I’m being scammed (at least a little bit). People said this kind of stuff for years with hardware reverbs, about HW was optimal and 480’s etc would never run on computers.
It’s almost like you guys have never read any of Cliff’s posts. I don’t think his decision here is a business one, but a principle one (not arguing whether it’s a well founded principle).

It’s almost like you guys have never read any of Cliff’s posts. I don’t think his decision here is a business one, but a principle one (not arguing whether it’s a well founded principle).
I think the discussion is based around the principles/what those are derived from, although the business aspect is definitely a valid factor.

Whether or not Cliff wants to, there are a number of willing customers and valid arguments to at least discuss it. It’s not really a simple black and white topic.

I will be very sad if this new product is not the device that allows to read cat's minds that Cliff started to develop in 2006, after the release of the Axe-FX Standard. It has been a long wait.

Acid Trip Wtf GIF by Bubble Punk

Some of you may be too new to Fractal to remember that project.

I think the discussion is based around the principles/what those are derived from, although the business aspect is definitely a valid factor.

Whether or not Cliff wants to, there are a number of willing customers and valid arguments to at least discuss it. It’s not really a simple black and white topic.
Yeah, not trying to shut down discussion. Just fell like it’s kind of like discussing whether it’d be better to sell direct or retail. Happy to be proved wrong!

Yeah, not trying to shut down discussion. Just fell like it’s kind of like discussing whether it’d be better to sell direct or retail. Happy to be proved wrong!
UAD have been mentioned a bit here - they were VERY long holdouts for native plugins and finally relented because it just makes more sense. Lots of people thought they’d never see a 480L in a plugin or the system 6000 stuff. Relab literally reverse engineered a digital HW device without knowing the algorithms and recreated a 1:1 model. They’ve done the same thing with a Quantec QRS and TC VSS6.1. I don’t think the risk of another company stealing Cliffs work is as likely - for the amount of trouble involved, someone could just make bank on Bogren style one knob amp sims that sell like hot cakes and require way less R&D.

Things evolve and situations change. Who knows what we’ll be using to make music with in 5 years time.

One other approach could be for Fractal to licence their tech, and another company handles licensing, support, HW manufacturing etc. Allows Cliff to focus on whatever aspects he wants and receive royalties for his hard work

Last edited:
Being able to use fractal plugins directly on a track without reamping would be incredible. I don’t see how this devalues Fractal in any way. As others have mentioned Strymon, Lexicon, Eventide, UAD all have both. If anything it would open up way more users to their sound and push them to the hardware for live use. Most young guitarists start out with a cheap interface and plugins now, when they want to move beyond that they could move to hardware. The same thing happens with QC and plugins finally moving to it. Also, a hugeeee amount of players don’t ever play live anymore anyways and only play at a computer or at home, or live in an apartment, etc. the need for hardware is not really there in a lot of cases.

From a business perspective it makes sense because you pretty much already have the interface done with Axe Edit. It’s just a matter of porting the algorithms to run on a computer. A lot of the work is done and you just have to sell serial numbers. No shipping, no warranty, no hardware design, no DSP limitations (on modern machines)

This will bring the prestigious Fractal algorithms to every corner of the world for "free" and what little global market Fractal had will be gone in no time.
there wouldn't be any plugin companies in existence at all if this was the case. And Fractal's global market for HW would still remain, albeit with a bigger audience and more awareness of the products. Do Line 6 suffer from this? How many HW units would NDSP have sold if they DIDNT offer plugins?

there wouldn't be any plugin companies in existence at all if this was the case. And Fractal's global market for HW would still remain, albeit with a bigger audience and more awareness of the products. Do Line 6 suffer from this? How many HW units would NDSP have sold if they DIDNT offer plugins?
Speaking for myself -- as someone who doesn't currently own any Fractal products, the quickest way to get me in that world would be some kind of native software. I'd jump on that real quick.

I will be very sad if this new product is not the device that allows to read cat's minds that Cliff started to develop in 2006, after the release of the Axe-FX Standard. It has been a long wait.

Acid Trip Wtf GIF by Bubble Punk

Some of you may be too new to Fractal to remember that project.
That interview was lost at the defunct MGS musicgearsource.com, but I've found a copy here:

MGS - What are your goals for your company for the next few years?
CC - I'd like to see the company expand into other products. We're investigating a lower-cost version of the Axe-Fx now. Same great sound but with fewer features and only one of each effect. We're also working on porting some of the Axe-Fx code to VST plug-ins. I'm also working on a device that allows me to read cat's minds. So far all that it says is "hungry.. tired... hungry... tired". Must be something wrong with it.

My favorite is the last paragraph. Charity and cats make this world a better place. :chef

MGS - Anything you would like to add in closing?
CC - I hope this interview convinces some people to try our product but more importantly if you have the means please donate to charity. The world is a brutal place right now and people need help more than ever. Also, if you can, adopt a cat. They make great office assistants and can help with the filing and typing chores.

Last edited:
That interview was lost at the defunct MGS musicgearsource.com, but I've found a copy here:

MGS - What are your goals for your company for the next few years?
CC - I'd like to see the company expand into other products. We're investigating a lower-cost version of the Axe-Fx now. Same great sound but with fewer features and only one of each effect. We're also working on porting some of the Axe-Fx code to VST plug-ins. I'm also working on a device that allows me to read cat's minds. So far all that it says is "hungry.. tired... hungry... tired". Must be something wrong with it.

My favorite is the last paragraph. Charity and cats make this world a better place. :chef

MGS - Anything you would like to add in closing?
CC - I hope this interview convinces some people to try our product but more importantly if you have the means please donate to charity. The world is a brutal place right now and people need help more than ever. Also, if you can, adopt a cat. They make great office assistants and can help with the filing and typing chores.

You will know soon my guess is it one of the following category

For use w tube amps
- a load box with impedance matching and Dyna cabs like Boss TAE
- effect only box for amps

Plug-ins
- VST for use in your DAW

FM0 or something else based on FM series but lower cost , more compact that FM3 and lower price point

Well, apparently - there will likely not be a waitlist for this product. So that is. Interesting.
That’s is interesting so either is plug-in or they are mass producing them
That’s a huge deal if it is hardware because there has always been a backlog

IMO that’s always been Fractals Achilles heel
The availability

Line6 is slow ass development and holding on to things to long

NDSP well plug-in compatibility is the obvious huge bottleneck there

Back