Found my next amp. Not quite $4k!

I’ll say two things about Steven Wilson that I think we can all agree on, regardless of whether you like PT or not:

1. He writes mediocre to shite lyrics, much of the time. And
2. He is easily the most arrogant m*****f****r in prog rock today, maybe ever.
TBH I never really paid attention to his lyrics, and I don‘t recall reading interviews either. But arrogance is something that I actually hear in his music. It sounds arrogant and smug.

TBH I never really paid attention to his lyrics, and I don‘t recall reading interviews either. But arrogance is something that I actually hear in his music. It sounds arrogant and smug.
Please explain to me how music can sound “arrogant” or “smug” without listening to the lyrics. 😂

I now hate like 97% of you.
Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF

Please explain to me how music can sound “arrogant” or “smug” without listening to the lyrics. 😂

I’m hard pressed to think of an example, but I know there’s a bit of Dream Theater, particularly Jordan Rudess’s stuff that I catch that vibe from. I know how silly it sounds, but in the same way something can have attitude or vulnerability, something can be smug, too. Obviously it’s our perception, Jordan has always seemed like a nice dude.

The only PT song that’s really caught my ear so far has been “Sleep Without Dreaming” or whatever it’s called, it’s actually got a hook in it. That’s my issue with most of their songs, they just float along with nothing catchy to bring me back to it. I’m a sucker for them ear worms.

I saw Porcupine Tree during the Deadwing era, and I did enjoy that album quite a bit. FOABP was a fairly significant drop in quality for me, particularly lyrically (which were always a bit toss anyway tbh!) but also musically. SW has just gone from weakness-to-weakness over the last few years, and ultimately, I tuned out.

The very first song I heard was Time Flies. I instantly thought of Pink Floyd.
Same.

I used to like and listen to Porcupine Tree and now (being older and less inexperienced) when I listen to them it makes me cringe so much.

So many other bands I’d rather listen to instead who write better songs, play more interesting and clever parts, write better lyrics and have some kind of edge to them
Which bands? I had a PT moment years ago and then I stopped giving a fuck. Until this morning I forgot they even existed! Lol

Which bands? I had a PT moment years ago and then I stopped giving a f**k. Until this morning I forgot they even existed! Lol
Have you ever heard of the Beatles?

I kid of course, but I think it was in my early 20’s when I sort of moved from listening to metal, to listening to progressive metal, to listening to prog, to listening to Radiohead and then I finally stopped being a c*nt and got into the Beatles properly (before that I was too stubborn and contrarian to give them a proper listen). And I think they just immediately made loads of derivative stuff redundant for me. They pulled off the weird chord progressions and experimental FX in a way that still made sense and had purpose within a song.

No point listing all the bands I do listen to these days (at least without narrowing it down somehow) as they really have very little to do with PT or prog in general. PT were like the gateway drug that opened me up to things besides metal - with my metal tinted glasses on, it was easier to overlook the negatives of that stuff.

Have you ever heard of the Beatles?

I kid of course, but I think it was in my early 20’s when I sort of moved from listening to metal, to listening to progressive metal, to listening to prog, to listening to Radiohead and then I finally stopped being a c**t and got into the Beatles properly (before that I was too stubborn and contrarian to give them a proper listen). And I think they just immediately made loads of derivative stuff redundant for me. They pulled off the weird chord progressions and experimental FX in a way that still made sense and had purpose within a song.

No point listing all the bands I do listen to these days (at least without narrowing it down somehow) as they really have very little to do with PT or prog in general. PT were like the gateway drug that opened me up to things besides metal - with my metal tinted glasses on, it was easier to overlook the negatives of that stuff.
I gotta say, Beatles was not what I was expecting for a response but sure. They’ve got some amazing stuff. Super hit or miss for me though. I either love it or hate when it comes to their stuff.

Back