Found my next amp. Not quite $4k!

I gotta say, Beatles was not what I was expecting for a response but sure. They’ve got some amazing stuff. Super hit or miss for me though. I either love it or hate when it comes to their stuff.
Ha it wasn’t a totally serious response, but I’m sure SW idolises them (just as he does Pink Floyd etc). I just think he doesn’t really bring anything new to the table, in the way the stuff he looks up to does. And not bringing anything new to the table is fine, if you can write amazing songs but I don’t really look to PT for that. I don’t really find their stuff particularly clever on a musical level either. And let’s not even include the word emotion with their music…

I remember that time when I willingly listened to the Beatles.

Not really.
This was basically me, and then I realised that they were the favourite band literally every single band I liked. Their stuff is that diverse and influential that I’d genuinely go as far as saying “if you don’t like the beatles, you don’t like music”. Like it or not, it’s basically impossible not to feel their influence (unless you hate everything except mongolian throat singing).

Ha it wasn’t a totally serious response, but I’m sure SW idolises them (just as he does Pink Floyd etc). I just think he doesn’t really bring anything new to the table, in the way the stuff he looks up to does. And not bringing anything new to the table is fine, if you can write amazing songs but I don’t really look to PT for that. I don’t really find their stuff particularly clever on a musical level either. And let’s not even include the word emotion with their music…

This was basically me, and then I realised that they were the favourite band literally every single band I liked. Their stuff is that diverse and influential that I’d genuinely go as far as saying “if you don’t like the beatles, you don’t like music”. Like it or not, it’s basically impossible not to feel their influence (unless you hate everything except mongolian throat singing).
Larry Shrug GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

The only PT song that’s really caught my ear so far has been “Sleep Without Dreaming” or whatever it’s called, it’s actually got a hook in it. That’s my issue with most of their songs, they just float along with nothing catchy to bring me back to it. I’m a sucker for them ear worms.
Yeah, it always just sounds like somebody sitting down at a synth and going through interesting harmonic movement that never winds up anywhere. But oh, there happen to be 38 layers of other instruments along for the ride. And then occasionally throw in a generic Nickelback guitar riff. meh

Like Drew I really tried to like Porcupine Tree, but they have a certain smugness that I've always found off-putting. Their music just doesn‘t sound very heartfelt and thrilling to me. And the term „Progressive“… compared to modern Pop music even 70‘s Disco could be described as sophisticated or „progressive“.
I feel the same way about Wilson, although his choice in musicians make up for it.

So much hate and bad taste in this thread from some of TGF's "most arrogant" members.

Can you say, ironic! :LOL:
Shots Fired GIF by Barstool Sports

Yes Ringo is an awesome drummer that I could listen to 24x7.
Besides the fact that so many amazing drummers rate him, he’s written countless parts that are absolutely iconic and totally original, have an unmistakable groove (that no one can quite mail the same as him) and incredibly tasteful to the songs. I’d listen to that all day long than drummers who overplay/distract/cram tons of notes in.

but also, the people who think Ringo is a bad drummer don’t actually listen to any of their stuff.

Charlie Watts rocks too, but more in a Lars/Rudd kind of way. Makes sense when you have egos like Jagger and Richard’s to play with.

I remember watching Manny Marroquin (an awesome drummer himself who only turned to mixing because he heard Abe Laborial Jr auditioning before him and it made him change career paths) mixing and he was talking about working on the Stones. He was blown away with how much Charlie’s drums just made it sound like the Stones and tie it together in a way that it couldn’t be anyone else.

I think it’s a similar thing with guitar where the guys who EFFORTLESSLY exhude personality without needing to play lots of notes or show off are the ones who I have the most time for.

Yeah, it always just sounds like somebody sitting down at a synth and going through interesting harmonic movement that never winds up anywhere. But oh, there happen to be 38 layers of other instruments along for the ride. And then occasionally throw in a generic Nickelback guitar riff. meh

I'm laughing because I have about 500 Logic sessions that are exactly this, I just have no idea what to do with them. :rofl

Back