Floyd Rose -- returning flat or sharp

I got new studs/posts, springs and Tremol-Nos from FU Tone, and Gotoh GE1996T bridges from Philadelphia Luthier Tools (something like that). Hopefully a longer block will do the trick. That said, if the Tremol-No is too much hassle, I may just put the old claw back, solder the bridge ground, and use the cheap L bracket type trem stabilizers.
OEiynSD.jpg

I have been doing this simple procedure to proof to myself that the nut is locked down properly.

Use the string that gives the most problems (e.g. G string), pluck with a pick behind the locked nut so it makes sound, then with the other hand dive bomb the FR all while picking the string behind the nut, and see whether the pitch changes (it shouldn't).

Maybe Andy @Eagle can approve of this or call BS. :cool:

I have been doing this simple procedure to proof to myself that the nut is locked down properly.

Use the string that gives the most problems (e.g. G string), pluck with a pick behind the locked nut so it makes sound, then with the other hand dive bomb the FR all while picking the string behind the nut, and see whether the pitch changes (it shouldn't).

Dude, excellent idea!

You fitted a T’no!! that is likely your reason for extra friction. I am going to say for a fact that you need to stop buying things that are not the answer to your issue. Just throwing money at parts that in themselves are fine is not going to help. You need to understand what is wrong in order to fix it . Even if changing random stuff fixes it accidentally.
It was perfectly possible to get the trem to work in the first instance without buying anything extra. Carry on buying deckchairs for the Titanic when you needed to fix the hole.

I’ve said what the issue is and linked to a fix .

I think if the screws are snug to the headstock, the locking clamps are snug, and you aren't getting much of a difference between clamped and unclamped, it should be good. The main issue is the retainer bar not pulling down load enough so the string is resting in both the front and the back divots for the string.

If there is an issue like you are pointing at, it could mean that perhaps the bolts or locking block for the nut needs replaced. I could see a scenario where the nut could need replaced as well, though less likely.

So I was able to test it yesterday. My friend and I noticed that it appears the springs are getting caught on the lip of the route for the spring channel. Swapping out the 33mm block for the 36mm block I bought should do the trick.

Also, the Tremol-No is not engaged and is just a spring claw at this point. I hadn't gotten to the point of setting up the arm for it. The studs/posts were replaced.

Unless the Tno is perfectly aligned and dripping with Teflon lube and has slop in the hinges it’s going to cause the original problem,it is a pos. I have a few in the shit draw that I took off for people.
IMG_1435.jpeg

Setting up a Floyd, especially if you don’t do it on a regular basis, is an exercise in patience. If you find yourself quietly cursing under your breath, you’re doing it correctly. If screaming obscenities and throwing parts around is happening, it’s time to take a break. Maybe a nice Chablis and some Carpenters tunes to reset your mood, then ease back into it.

I can't get this horse shit Gotoh bridge to stay on the posts or get on the posts where I need them to be. Fuck Gotoh. Send me a message, pay shipping, and have these two nightmares for free. No longer interested in these garbage fucking bridges.

I can't get this horse shit Gotoh bridge to stay on the posts or get on the posts where I need them to be. Fuck Gotoh. Send me a message, pay shipping, and have these two nightmares for free. No longer interested in these garbage fucking bridges.

Time for more Chablis and Carpenters tunes. The bridge is a balancing act. If there is insufficient string tension to counter the pull of the springs, the bridge will want to deck itself and the knife edges will dance around a bit and generally not go where you want them to. This is true of every Floyd from every manufacturer.

Back