Is Evertune the new Floyd?

Yeah, that rumor was started by people who don't take the time to learn how to use something.

That does occur when the strings slip between zones. Between the no-bending zone and the 'this is normal' zone. My favorite example of this was the dipshit in the Metal Guitar group on FB who was raving about it the first day he got it, "You don't even need to stretch your strings!" and a week later he was saying he was selling it "because it feels funny bending, like I have to over bend" Dude admitted he didn't read any instructions, sold it and still tells people it negatively effects bending without telling people he didn't actually spend a minute learning it.

If I leave it sitting without playing for a while, like a couple months, sometimes I'll pick it up to play it and it's in tune, but you can tell a tuning machine needs to be put back in place. It almost feels and looks like latency when you're playing it, because you're bending the string but it's not doing anything quiet yet. I made this vid last year after someone said the same thing-

When it's set up properly the only thing I can distinguish as a difference between it and any other bridge is there's a slight amount of sustain that cuts off at the very end of a note and saying that makes it sounds worse than it is. There's a dampening system in the Evertune to stop the springs from resonating, you have to listen very closely, but if you sustain a note it almost sounds like it's chopped off at the very end instead of a natural fade.

My buddy was over last weekend and we sat there holding notes on different guitars to see the difference, there's practically none, it's like the last bit of audible ringing out that just gets cut short instead of a silent fade. In actual use you'd never hear it, however, I've said before that "it kills some sustain", while that might be technically true, it's not practically true.

Good to know. Thanks for taking time to explain all that and make the vid.

Now I’m off to sell all my gear since I’ll never be able to play as well as you, and quite frankly, it hurts. :cry:

IMG_2264.jpeg

Explain the Evertune to me like I’m 5 years old
EverTune is all passive system that is completely invisible. Once setup by the player, the string will just stay in tune, through temperature changes, any size and amount of bends, any fingering technique, any picking intensity, and any amount of string stretching, bitch picking, pole shift, earthquake, divorce, bankruptcy, or gout.

I’m mostly anticipating the bass Evertune, though.
Man, I hear you. Imagine having a bass sitting there, always ready to go when the inspiration hits. No tuning or intonation issues. Just hit record in the DAW and lay down a solid bass line.

Man, I hear you. Imagine having a bass sitting there, always ready to go when the inspiration hits. No tuning or intonation issues. Just hit record in the DAW and lay down a solid bass line.

Or getting to really get into it while you’re playing and not have to worry about hitting the string too hard!

One of the saddles in mine broke after not much use and a long period of not getting used. Can't get it back into zone. Took it to a tech who confirmed I wasn't just being an idiot.

It may stay in tune but you do have to be on top of what zone you are in if you want to bend notes which is more annoying than just tuning a normal guitar.

Lots of people say they sound a little different too. I'm not sure about this but am just turned off by them in general after initially being a fan.

Lots of people, myself included, get tempted by the idea and the increased price isn't a huge barrier. I just found it annoying and overall not needed.

I have an ESP/LTD EC1000ET; it is an EC1000 with an Evertune basically.

I'm very hot>cold>hot>cold on it. Lukewarm, some could say.

I do think they sound a bit different. They're comfortable to play. But they're a ballache to setup and tweak, particularly if you like to experiment with different tunings.

And don't believe the hype - you cannot just whack on a set of strings and hit zone 2 and be a-okay. Even with the same gauge. At least I've never been able to do it. It always needs some tweakery from string change to string change.

Also as you play over time and the strings soak up all your sweat and dead skin, this makes the strings heavier, so it actually starts to go out of pitch the longer you leave the strings on; it is subtle. But it definitely happens.

In fact, now I've written all this out, I'm thinking about selling the guitar again !!!

I have an ESP/LTD EC1000ET; it is an EC1000 with an Evertune basically.

I'm very hot>cold>hot>cold on it. Lukewarm, some could say.

I do think they sound a bit different. They're comfortable to play. But they're a ballache to setup and tweak, particularly if you like to experiment with different tunings.

And don't believe the hype - you cannot just whack on a set of strings and hit zone 2 and be a-okay. Even with the same gauge. At least I've never been able to do it. It always needs some tweakery from string change to string change.

Also as you play over time and the strings soak up all your sweat and dead skin, this makes the strings heavier, so it actually starts to go out of pitch the longer you leave the strings on; it is subtle. But it definitely happens.

In fact, now I've written all this out, I'm thinking about selling the guitar again !!!

You're a logical individual so I'm gonna hold you to this one-

Detail the "ballache", please.

I'm being a bit pedantic because I'm very curious as to why I haven't had to touch mine and why others are. I have a hunch it's due to string stretching and people not stretching them as much as they should, which would account for the inconsistencies or need to tune up.

Overall I think it'll end up being a thing where you can ask the opinions of Floyds from 100 guys, 25 will tell you "Perfect trem, set it and forget it" 40 will tell you "Ugh, I hate using it but find it necessary" and the last 35 are just "Fuck that fucking thing"

You're a logical individual so I'm gonna hold you to this one-

Detail the "ballache", please.

I'm being a bit pedantic because I'm very curious as to why I haven't had to touch mine and why others are. I have a hunch it's due to string stretching and people not stretching them as much as they should, which would account for the inconsistencies or need to tune up.

Overall I think it'll end up being a thing where you can ask the opinions of Floyds from 100 guys, 25 will tell you "Perfect trem, set it and forget it" 40 will tell you "Ugh, I hate using it but find it necessary" and the last 35 are just "Fuck that fucking thing"
All I can tell you is....

I take a pack of Slinky Top/Heavy Bottoms. I slap them on. I set the tuning and action up to my preferences, and everything is ticketyboo.

Next time I string the guitar, I do the same thing. Dial the tuning pegs up so that the saddles are at the boundary of zone 2 and 3, where you get the most 'bendability' - and the strings are always slightly off from where I had it setup the first time round. So I have to tweak the tuning. It isn't even necessarily something you would hear unless you did a proper A/B. But I use the Axe FX III tuner, and it will consistently show strings being +/- 5cents, approximately.

So that's one thing. It isn't due to stretching. It is due to tolerances across string batches, is my guess.

This guitar doesn't have locking tuners, and if the Evertune delivers what it is supposed to deliver, then it shouldn't need them. I did toy with the idea of trying a pair to see if it helped, but I doubt it will.

The other thing is - if I'm in drop-C and I want to come down to drop-B ... it just isn't as quick as a regular tune-o-matic bridge. You have to detune the tuning pegs from the edge of zone 2>3... all the way into zone 2... then tweak the bridge itself... which because it is so sensitive requires many more turns than a typical guitar... and then you have to dial the guitar back up to the edge of zone 2>3 ... it isn't insurmountable, but I believe it qualifies as ballache.

Finally... I'm in drop-C, but I want to drop the low-C down to a G in order to get GGCFAD tuning... with my current gauge of string, the saddle simply will not go down that low. So if I want to do that on this guitar, I have to get a low-tension saddle to give me access to lower tunings. Ballache. At least with a regular TOM bridge, even if I'm using the wrong strings, I can still tune down that far on a 54, and get something I can mess around with. I'm not expecting perfection in such a scenario, I just want to quickly experiment with a new pitch on any given string.

So... I think that covers it.

All I can tell you is....

I take a pack of Slinky Top/Heavy Bottoms. I slap them on. I set the tuning and action up to my preferences, and everything is ticketyboo.

Next time I string the guitar, I do the same thing. Dial the tuning pegs up so that the saddles are at the boundary of zone 2 and 3, where you get the most 'bendability' - and the strings are always slightly off from where I had it setup the first time round. So I have to tweak the tuning. It isn't even necessarily something you would hear unless you did a proper A/B. But I use the Axe FX III tuner, and it will consistently show strings being +/- 5cents, approximately.

So that's one thing. It isn't due to stretching. It is due to tolerances across string batches, is my guess.

This guitar doesn't have locking tuners, and if the Evertune delivers what it is supposed to deliver, then it shouldn't need them. I did toy with the idea of trying a pair to see if it helped, but I doubt it will.

The other thing is - if I'm in drop-C and I want to come down to drop-B ... it just isn't as quick as a regular tune-o-matic bridge. You have to detune the tuning pegs from the edge of zone 2>3... all the way into zone 2... then tweak the bridge itself... which because it is so sensitive requires many more turns than a typical guitar... and then you have to dial the guitar back up to the edge of zone 2>3 ... it isn't insurmountable, but I believe it qualifies as ballache.

Finally... I'm in drop-C, but I want to drop the low-C down to a G in order to get GGCFAD tuning... with my current gauge of string, the saddle simply will not go down that low. So if I want to do that on this guitar, I have to get a low-tension saddle to give me access to lower tunings. Ballache. At least with a regular TOM bridge, even if I'm using the wrong strings, I can still tune down that far on a 54, and get something I can mess around with. I'm not expecting perfection in such a scenario, I just want to quickly experiment with a new pitch on any given string.

So... I think that covers it.

The alternate tuning stuff, I mean, that’s essentially going in the opposite direction of the Evertune’s intended purpose, which is “set your tuning and we’ll keep it locked here and only here” and is no different than a Floyd in the sense that if you want to change tunings/gauges, it’s not going to be anywhere close to a fixed bridge experience.

That said, I was able to go from drop C to AGCFAD and while the saddle isn’t technically in its place doing its thing, it still held the tuning pretty damn well. Right around 1:28 in here I start whackin’ away at that low A playing octaves, I’m not pussyfooting my right hand at all and there’s no bowowowowowoow. If I do that on my SZ or any fixed bridge I do not get the same results.

For the string tolerances, what do you suspect is happening?

I’m not purposefully trying to angle it all down to stretching, but what are the strings doing that points to inconsistency in tolerances from pack to pack?

I also need to consider the environmental considerations that tend to effect things like this, I keep my apartment regulated by both the humidity and temp, so it never passes 55% and never varies away from 75-77 degrees (unless I’m hungover and need to crank the AC down to 70), which may be a big factor in not having to touch my guitars very much at all and the Evertune not at all.

The alternate tuning stuff, I mean, that’s essentially going in the opposite direction of the Evertune’s intended purpose, which is “set your tuning and we’ll keep it locked here and only here” and is no different than a Floyd in the sense that if you want to change tunings/gauges, it’s not going to be anywhere close to a fixed bridge experience.
Yes I agree. Floyd's are a ballache too.

That said, I was able to go from drop C to AGCFAD and while the saddle isn’t technically in its place doing its thing, it still held the tuning pretty damn well
I'm not able to do that tuning at the bridge. I can tune down to zone 1 and have the string where ever I like of course. But like you say, the Evertune isn't doing anything at that point.

For the string tolerances, what do you suspect is happening?

I’m not purposefully trying to angle it all down to stretching, but what are the strings doing that points to inconsistency in tolerances from pack to pack?
I don't know. I'm not an expert but I imagine there are manufacturing and humidity/packaging tolerances that mean your 54 gauge isn't always the exact same spec.

Do me a favour next time you are going to restring your guitar. Just check one string before taking them off, and note down the exact pitch using the Axe FX III tuner. Then put your new string on, tune it up to pitch, and see if it the same or not. I've never managed to have it exactly the same ever since I bought the guitar in 2018.

I also need to consider the environmental considerations that tend to effect things like this, I keep my apartment regulated by both the humidity and temp, so it never passes 55% and never varies away from 75-77 degrees (unless I’m hungover and need to crank the AC down to 70), which may be a big factor in not having to touch my guitars very much at all and the Evertune not at all.
My home studio is always between 19-23 degrees celsius. But I'm in the UK and the weather is quite variable - certainly ranging from not quite so shit, to very shit.

All I can tell you ultimately is that my experience of the Evertune has been so-so, and it hasn't changed my guitar playing life, and I still way more often play my Orville by Gibson, with the regular TOM bridge.

Back