Is Evertune the new Floyd?

1702586949959.png

The Cort KX700 EverTune is a well appointed model with a fair price tag !

Bass Evertune?? Do you guys really have that much trouble with tuning stability on your basses?

I rarely need to touch the tuners on my cheap Squier CV

Bass Evertune?? Do you guys really have that much trouble with tuning stability on your basses?

I rarely need to touch the tuners on my cheap Squier CV

I don’t think the actual functionality of the Evertune can be observed unless someone plays one and experiences it, at this point.

The tuning stability is the big picture, sure, in the case of the bass Evertune, if you’re playing low tuned metal, that initial strike of the bass string, unless you’ve got a really light touch, is going to bend the note sharp and then it’ll wobble until it levels out. This is why tons of producers are slapping Melodyne on bass tracks, to eliminate that stuff. The bass can be perfectly in tune, but without something countering that initial strike, it’s going to jump in pitch before it returns. It even happens in standard tuning with normal gauge strings for heavy handed players.

I use Strat trems like Floyds, I have no problems setting up guitars/basses to stay in tune, it’s not about that.

I don’t think the actual functionality of the Evertune can be observed unless someone plays one and experiences it, at this point.

The tuning stability is the big picture, sure, in the case of the bass Evertune, if you’re playing low tuned metal, that initial strike of the bass string, unless you’ve got a really light touch, is going to bend the note sharp and then it’ll wobble until it levels out. This is why tons of producers are slapping Melodyne on bass tracks, to eliminate that stuff. The bass can be perfectly in tune, but without something countering that initial strike, it’s going to jump in pitch before it returns. It even happens in standard tuning with normal gauge strings for heavy handed players.

I use Strat trems like Floyds, I have no problems setting up guitars/basses to stay in tune, it’s not about that.

Interesting, that makes sense but I can’t help but think if the strings are flopping around that much don’t you also have problems with timbre, intonation and out of pitch overtones/harmonics?

Sounds like what you really need is longer scale length and heavier strings

601px-Octobasse_Orchestre_Symphonique_de_Montre%CC%81al_Eric_Chappell_1.jpg

Interesting, that makes sense but I can’t help but think if the strings are flopping around that much don’t you also have problems with timbre, intonation and out of pitch overtones/harmonics?

Sounds like what you really need is longer scale length and heavier strings

601px-Octobasse_Orchestre_Symphonique_de_Montre%CC%81al_Eric_Chappell_1.jpg

Multiple ways to skin a cat, but for me, thicker strings is NOT it. Went down that road for nearly a full year, trying multiple gauges, custom sets, every core DR strings makes- thicker the string = darker/woofy sound and getting the low strings balanced for consistency across all the strings wasn’t happening.

This is why I primarily keep my Spector in standard tuning or Drop D and use the virtual capo to tune it down. It’d be great to not have to do that, though.

Multiple ways to skin a cat, but for me, thicker strings is NOT it. Went down that road for nearly a full year, trying multiple gauges, custom sets, every core DR strings makes- thicker the string = darker/woofy sound and getting the low strings balanced for consistency across all the strings wasn’t happening.

This is why I primarily keep my Spector in standard tuning or Drop D and use the virtual capo to tune it down. It’d be great to not have to do that, though.

That darker/woofy sound is also what you’ll get with a tuning that is too low on a scale length not long enough to handle it.

The timbre gets all weird and the harmonics/overtones get weird and make the string sound out of tune with itself.

Short scale basses often have this problem with standard tunings

That darker/woofy sound is also what you’ll get with a tuning that is too low on a scale length not long enough to handle it.

The timbre gets all weird and the harmonics/overtones get weird and make the string sound out of tune with itself.

Short scale basses often have this problem with standard tunings

Yep. I’ve already been allllllll over the place with it, found the gauge that sounds the best for what I want to achieve with a bass, it’s just the initial strike issue that I find spending $1K on a new bass worth it!

Yep. I’ve already been allllllll over the place with it, found the gauge that sounds the best for what I want to achieve with a bass, it’s just the initial strike issue that I find spending $1K on a new bass worth it!

I’m sure you have! I know how much work you put into the sounds you craft

Sometimes you guys make me glad I don’t have to deal with the gear issues modern metal players face :LOL:

I’m sure you have! I know how much work you put into the sounds you craft

Sometimes you guys make me glad I don’t have to deal with the gear issues modern metal players face :LOL:

I’m quite certain that dipping my toes into more vintage/traditional tones is a direct result of that, too! :rofl

if you’re playing low tuned metal, that initial strike of the bass string, unless you’ve got a really light touch, is going to bend the note sharp
This is where an Evertune bass bridge would kill in the studio, especially for metal.

Back