Is Evertune the new Floyd?

Iron1

Shredder
TGF Recording Artist
Seems like at some point in the 80s/90s Floyd Rose just began dominating the guitar offerings in the rock/metal world. Now, it seems like the brands offering rock/metal guitars (ESP, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson, etc) are 75% Evertunes, with the rest being fixed/TOM or Floyds.

Anyone else noticing this?

Has Evertune officially usurped the Floyd Rose top of the bridge hill crown?

They seem to be very popular yes,, ive never tried one nor Domi see a need for it
Then again I'm not a fan of the FR either

:idk

Seems like at some point in the 80s/90s Floyd Rose just began dominating the guitar offerings in the rock/metal world. Now, it seems like the brands offering rock/metal guitars (ESP, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson, etc) are 75% Evertunes, with the rest being fixed/TOM or Floyds.

Anyone else noticing this?

Has Evertune officially usurped the Floyd Rose top of the bridge hill crown?
Are you GAS'ing :LOL:

I’ve yet to play an Evertune-equipped guitar. I’ve heard that they lack the resonance of say, a fixed bridge. That’d be my only concern as living in a temperate climate and not having to constantly tune my guitar would be an absolute game changer.

But yeah, I see more and more manufacturers starting to adopt the Evertune bridge. I think it remains to be seen if it’ll reach Floyd-level status. I guess when we see companies like Fender offering them as an option on Strats and Teles, we’ll be close.

Are you GAS'ing :LOL:
Yes, but for a Floyd, not an ET. :rofl

Hit 3 guitar stores today and left all 3 empty handed. Tried to grab something from the Solar Anniversary Sale and the announcement apparently broke their website. So, after hours of ‘Verb scrolling and brand website trolling, I just put an offer in on a Jackson. 🤣

It's a cool device, but to me it's a solution looking for a problem. On fixed bridge guitars tuning stability with a properly cut nut and healthy bridge saddles is usually not so bad to be a major issue requiring something as complex as Evertune.

It's not a subsitute for a Floyd Rose trem, since Evertune is not a trem you can use to alter pitch afaik.

It's a cool device, but to me it's a solution looking for a problem. On fixed bridge guitars tuning stability with a properly cut nut and healthy bridge saddles is usually not so bad to be a major issue requiring something as complex as Evertune.

It's not a subsitute for a Floyd Rose trem, since Evertune is not a trem you can use to alter pitch afaik.
It’s definitely not a trem. Just a new style of bridge that is rapidly gaining product placement from what I’ve been seeing.

And I agree. My Hipshot equipped guitars don’t have tuning issues, so I see no need for an ET.

I just put an offer in on a Jackson. 🤣

I Like It Good Job GIF

I consider the Evertune to the fixed bridge as the Floyd is to the trem. Neither are necessary and yep, a well set-up guitar will work fine as we've all witnessed for decades. At this point the only reason I want another Floyd guitar is just because I like Floyds, I can go crazy on my Strat trem all day with the same tuning consistency as a Floyd, it's just a different feel.

But the Evertune is a bit different, because while I might still need to tune up occasionally with a Floyd, you don't at all with the Evertune.

This mostly comes into play for me when layering guitars. Someone argued with me the other day that you can't hear .1/.2/.3 cents of difference when layering guitars and I vehemently disagree. It's not going to sound like an out of tune guitar, but you're going to start hearing some of that chorus-like sheen coming in and it drives me fucking nuts. Eliminating that is worth the price of admission alone. Even a perfectly setup guitar is going to slip a couple cents, especially with a heavy handed player. The Evertune doesn't slip at all.

They don't mention it much and I feel they should, but it also helps with intonation all over the neck. I recorded this this week as an example; I haven't touched that guitar in 6 months, didn't check the tuning, just dialed in the most unpleasing "You're gonna hear the beating" tone I could. The first part is just maj/minor chords then the end is multiple octaves all being played at the same time, shifting around the neck....all wonderfully in tune.

And because my Les Paul slipped when tracking rhythms a couple weeks ago, I'm debating re-recording all the guitars in this. You really only hear it when I play chords, but it's enough of that chorus effect to drive me nuts.

If I tracked that with the Evertune guitar, it wouldn't be an issue.....and I wouldn't have checked my tuning 50000x between takes only to still have it come out botched!

I remember watching a Devin Townsend interview where he was saying that he hadn’t tuned his Evertune-equipped guitar once during his tour. And this was going from city to city and different climates.

I don’t care how well your nut or bridge is set up, this just isn’t possible without an Evertune.

I remember watching a Devin Townsend interview where he was saying that he hadn’t tuned his Evertune-equipped guitar once during his tour. And this was going from city to city and different climates.

I don’t care how well your nut or bridge is set up, this just isn’t possible without an Evertune.
That's because his tech was doing the tuning.:rofl
This is hard to believe -- strings will be strings, no matter what is on each end.

That’s where the Evertune comes in. The system compensates for the change in string tension to keep them in-tune.

You can literally loosen or tighten the truss rod and it will stay in-tune.
I'll look into it more, but I'm guessing the initial setup and calibration is the secret, or pain in the ass, however you look at it.:rofl

I'll look into it more, but I'm guessing the initial setup and calibration is the secret, or pain in the ass, however you look at it.:rofl
I believe there is a bit of a learning curve when setting them up. One of these days I’ll get my paws on one, but none of my local shops stock them unfortunately.

Evertune took care of the pain in the ass part on their end. The springs in the back are keeping the strings at a tension that is set when you set it up the first time. It's just a mechanical thing, so there's no memory, but once it's set at that tension the springs counteract any changes, sharp or flat.

And the initial setup is similar to stringing a blocked Floyd-

Get the strings at tension and in the ballpark of the pitch they need to be at, use the wrench (it's an allen wrench) to fine tune at the bridge. Done.

And you never have to do it again until you want to change tunings. String changes is just putting them on, stretching, turning the tuning peg until it's in the spot where you turn it forever and it does nothing, then you hear it go up in pitch, drop it back down a quarter turn and your guitar is ready to go.

So, what turned me off to them initially is people saying the ET hampers string bends. Since I do a lot of bends, that was a non-starter for me. I’ve heard folks say otherwise now that there are lots of ETs in the wild, but dunno I want to shell out a few extra hundos to find out.

So, what turned me off to them initially is people saying the ET hampers string bends. Since I do a lot of bends, that was a non-starter for me. I’ve heard folks say otherwise now that there are lots of ETs in the wild, but dunno I want to shell out a few extra hundos to find out.

Yeah, that rumor was started by people who don't take the time to learn how to use something.

That does occur when the strings slip between zones. Between the no-bending zone and the 'this is normal' zone. My favorite example of this was the dipshit in the Metal Guitar group on FB who was raving about it the first day he got it, "You don't even need to stretch your strings!" and a week later he was saying he was selling it "because it feels funny bending, like I have to over bend" Dude admitted he didn't read any instructions, sold it and still tells people it negatively effects bending without telling people he didn't actually spend a minute learning it.

If I leave it sitting without playing for a while, like a couple months, sometimes I'll pick it up to play it and it's in tune, but you can tell a tuning machine needs to be put back in place. It almost feels and looks like latency when you're playing it, because you're bending the string but it's not doing anything quiet yet. I made this vid last year after someone said the same thing-

When it's set up properly the only thing I can distinguish as a difference between it and any other bridge is there's a slight amount of sustain that cuts off at the very end of a note and saying that makes it sounds worse than it is. There's a dampening system in the Evertune to stop the springs from resonating, you have to listen very closely, but if you sustain a note it almost sounds like it's chopped off at the very end instead of a natural fade.

My buddy was over last weekend and we sat there holding notes on different guitars to see the difference, there's practically none, it's like the last bit of audible ringing out that just gets cut short instead of a silent fade. In actual use you'd never hear it, however, I've said before that "it kills some sustain", while that might be technically true, it's not practically true.

Back