Floyd Rose -- returning flat or sharp

I’m not trying to be awkward but the information I am giving you is correct regardless of what you are reading . Some of the finish options are not offered for the OFR but the two bridges come of the same production line and share all the same parts except for the branding on the bridge plate ..
OFR still gives you a shim for 10 “ but the saddle set is the 12” set that is the standard on the LM as well. And as the LM is a third less money it is the better option as long as you don't mind it saying LM instead of FR. That said the 1996 is still better than both.

Would you suggest that I get a Gotoh (appears to be 350mm/13.78" like my guitars) or a Schaller/OFR with some combination of different saddle heights to attempt to get close to the 14" radius?

As for a locking nut, I'd likely have to import a Schaller or Gotoh, because no one sells an OFR nut that isn't 10" (aside from the R10 I believe it is, which is 15").

I’m not trying to be awkward but the information I am giving you is correct regardless of what you are reading . Some of the finish options are not offered for the OFR but the two bridges come of the same production line and share all the same parts except for the branding on the bridge plate ..
OFR still gives you a shim for 10 “ but the saddle set is the 12” set that is the standard on the LM as well. And as the LM is a third less money it is the better option as long as you don't mind it saying LM instead of FR. That said the 1996 is still better than both.
Finish option wise, I'd want a standard nickel or chrome and a gold. I don't need the purple, red, green, blue, etc colors.

The only thing with the Gotoh GE1996T is I don't know if the EVH D-Tuna would work with it. It may?

Additionally, I think the Skyscraper Pick Pocket wouldn't work, so I'd have to get something like the Red Bishop, I believe it's called.

Would you suggest that I get a Gotoh (appears to be 350mm/13.78" like my guitars) or a Schaller/OFR with some combination of different saddle heights to attempt to get close to the 14" radius?

As for a locking nut, I'd likely have to import a Schaller or Gotoh, because no one sells an OFR nut that isn't 10" (aside from the R10 I believe it is, which is 15").
I would keep the nut you have the German one isn't really any better . The Gotoh is but it won't fit the mount you have. I would say I get more issues with the German (pre revision) nut than the Korean BR nuts. Also the FRT1000 Korean units have got a LOT better in the past couple of years. They are harder saddles and better tolerances than they were. Even the bolts are less prone to stripping . I would look at a German arm mech if yours has slop (many German one also do). In the last couple of years I just keep the FRT1000 and upgrade any defective parts . I can get them to the same performance is the LM or FR.

The only thing with the Gotoh GE1996T is I don't know if the EVH D-Tuna would work with it. It may?

Additionally, I think the Skyscraper Pick Pocket wouldn't work, so I'd have to get something like the Red Bishop, I believe it's called.
The EVH D tuna was actually designed for the (then 1988) Gotoh floyd . It works better on it because there is more range in the fine tuner.

I would keep the nut you have the German one isn't really any better . The Gotoh is but it won't fit the mount you have. I would say I get more issues with the German (pre revision) nut than the Korean BR nuts. Also the FRT1000 Korean units have got a LOT better in the past couple of years. They are harder saddles and better tolerances than they were. Even the bolts are less prone to stripping . I would look at a German arm mech if yours has slop (many German one also do). In the last couple of years I just keep the FRT1000 and upgrade any defective parts . I can get them to the same performance is the LM or FR.
I think the FRT1000 nut may be the right radius, but I need to check when I set everything up.

How would the Gotoh nut not work? Length wise?

My purple M-1 Custom 87 series has some issue with returning to pitch. The knife edge seems fine, but I might be missing something. The source, I THINK, is the "cone" of the posts that the bridge knife edges ride on when using the trem. They have thin, fine lines that might be causing it.

Using some chapstick did increase its ability to return nearly to pitch, but I'm not sure how often I'll need to replace it, and taking off strings, springs, and putting more chapstick sucks (tips would be great to get out of all of that rigamarole). Before and after, it was consistent where it returned.

It'd be about where the 5 is on the flat side and between "guitar" and "2" on the sharp side.

20240315_112359.jpg

Your problem is common and most trems have it to some degree .
The Gotoh nut has the screw holes slightly off to the side 1/2mm but enough to make it a poor direct fit which is a shame because they are indestructible and I have never seen a problem on one.

I had a Schecter Sun Valley Super Shredder Exotic that would do the same exact thing. It turned out the lock nut had not been screwed down all the way at the factory. It took the slightest extra turning of the screwdriver, but that fixed it.

So I have swapped the bridge to the Gotoh GE1996T and I'm worse off than I was with the fucking Floyd Rose 1000. I end up a fucking half step flat when I dive the bar, and I believe near in tune when I raise it? I think?

I spent 6.5 fucking hours on this bullshit, and quite frankly I'm close to throwing all of it in the garbage. Both guitars, bridges, tuners, Tremol-Nos, floyds, all of it.

Fucking waste of time, money and frustration. Totally pointless and will never get another Floyd Rose equipped guitar. The Gotoh is an utter piece of shit that is even worse than the 1000.

Fuck the Floyd Rose, all guitars with one, and all of the licensed versions, including the Gotoh GE1996T. Trash bridges.

I'm sure I'll find this post funny in a few days, but at the moment, I'm pretty pissed. The high side isn't riding the post like the low side. The height is even from side to side and front to back, the spring claw is even, but it moves around too much.

So yeah, to the trash the Gotoh goes. A 40 Wilkinson returns to pitch better than this junk.

So I have swapped the bridge to the Gotoh GE1996T and I'm worse off than I was with the fucking Floyd Rose 1000. I end up a fucking half step flat when I dive the bar, and I believe near in tune when I raise it? I think?

I spent 6.5 fucking hours on this bullshit, and quite frankly I'm close to throwing all of it in the garbage. Both guitars, bridges, tuners, Tremol-Nos, floyds, all of it.

Fucking waste of time, money and frustration. Totally pointless and will never get another Floyd Rose equipped guitar. The Gotoh is an utter piece of shit that is even worse than the 1000.

Fuck the Floyd Rose, all guitars with one, and all of the licensed versions, including the Gotoh GE1996T. Trash bridges.

Just spitballing here, but did you change the posts when swapping bridges, or did you leave the original ones in place? They can get chewed up, too, and cause issues.

Just spitballing here, but did you change the posts when swapping bridges, or did you leave the original ones in place? They can get chewed up, too, and cause issues.
I bought original Floyd Rose posts, gotoh ge1996t bridge, gotoh tuners, noiseless springs, Tremol-Nos, evh D-Tuna. I spent hours setting it up, such as swimming the nut, checking truss rod, string action, intonation, etc.

Just get the Schaller FR, dude.

:columbo

Back