Fender Tone Master Pro: Episode IV - A New Hope

I 've said this before, but why not again...I've had it since November or December. I'm no fan boy and I'll be honest. IMO The Princeton, the Twin and the Deluxe are addictively good. Dirt boxes, reverbs and delays are great. The only dirty amps I care for (Plexi, 800 and Jubilee) leave things to be desired. Pitch shifting not good mainly due to latency.

That said, my only contemporary modeler experience is the Boss GX-100, which I find awful. Based on what I read (and hear on YT), the QC and Fractal are better than the TMP but I don't really know. The Helix sounds kind of thin to me. On YT though.

I guess I haven't been of much help...

I 've said this before, but why not again...I've had it since November or December. I'm no fan boy and I'll be honest. IMO The Princeton, the Twin and the Deluxe are addictively good. Dirt boxes, reverbs and delays are great. The only dirty amps I care for (Plexi, 800 and Jubilee) leave things to be desired. Pitch shifting not good mainly due to latency.

That said, my only contemporary modeler experience is the Boss GX-100, which I find awful. Based on what I read (and hear on YT), the QC and Fractal are better than the TMP but I don't really know. The Helix sounds kind of thin to me. On YT though.

I guess I haven't been of much help...

I was set to pick one up after seeing the initial review videos with the Fender amps and spring reverb, those sounded consistently great in every video I saw. It was the lukewarm response to the dirtier, non-Fender amps that slowed me down a bit, and then Fractal released an updated spring reverb and that was it.

At this point the TMP is no longer on the table for me, but I’m still hoping that Fender gets the meat and potatoes stuff sorted out for you guys.

To be honest that would not help them IMO
Because a Hotone stage at 700 is a much better option or a line6 LT now at the new $999 price point

Maybe they should highlight more videos from that one guy...

"Ever wonder what the display does on your TMP? I mean, is it some kinda video game system you 'play' with?!? Let's check out this video and find out together!"

Didn’t fender say every 6 months they may update it

Yes they did, but I think their game plan was to add to the platform as it was instead of having to deal with complaints about many of their amp models. Now if this were Fractal, Cliff would have seen those complaints and dealt with them quickly. But Fractal is a much smaller, more streamlined company, and the guy who owns the business is also the guy that handles all of the coding, so Cliff can react to issues in real time. I don’t think Fender can move that quickly, even if the reps want to (and I’m sure they would love to be able to so they can move forward). Too many people involved in the chain.

Yes they did, but I think their game plan was to add to the platform as it was instead of having to deal with complaints about many of their amp models. Now if this were Fractal, Cliff would have seen those complaints and dealt with them quickly. But Fractal is a much smaller, more streamlined company, and the guy who owns the business is also the guy that handles all of the coding, so Cliff can react to issues in real time. I don’t think Fender can move that quickly, even if the reps want to (and I’m sure they would love to be able to so they can move forward). Too many people involved in the chain.

Have they acknowledged those complaints aside from the 5153 Red channel "fix" from months ago, tho?

Also, the "every six months" is trending towards nine months for the first substantial firmware update, isn't it?

Have they acknowledged those complaints aside from the 5153 Red channel "fix" from months ago, tho?

Also, the "every six months" is trending towards nine months for the first substantial firmware update, isn't it?

I haven’t been following things super closely, but I don’t think they have. I get it, the reps aren’t always in a position to make public statements for a number of reasons, but some owners are definitely leaning toward “concerned.” Any modern modeler that cannot do a good Plexi or 800 is going to be a poor choice for a great many players, those are staple sounds for the rock oriented crowd.

The Fender reps seem like really good guys, and I hope that everything gets sorted out for them and their customers. They’re not the ones writing the code or allocating labor hours to fixes and/or updates, but they’re the public face of the company and have to take the heat when issues arise.

I haven’t been following things super closely, but I don’t think they have. I get it, the reps aren’t always in a position to make public statements for a number of reasons, but some owners are definitely leaning toward “concerned.” Any modern modeler that cannot do a good Plexi or 800 is going to be a poor choice for a great many players, those are staple sounds for the rock oriented crowd.

The Fender reps seem like really good guys, and I hope that everything gets sorted out for them and their customers. They’re not the ones writing the code or allocating labor hours to fixes and/or updates, but they’re the public face of the company and have to take the heat when issues arise.
A vague "We're working on it" goes a long way.

A vague "We're working on it" goes a long way.

It'll go a lot longer after the first substantive update is out. Then people will get a much better idea of what to expect twice a year going forward. They'll also get a pretty good idea about what kind of commitment Fender has to this long-term

Here it is....

FENDER TONE MASTER PRO FIRMWARE AND PRO CONTROL APP UPDATES​

Fender Tone Master Pro Firmware and Pro Control App Updates
Version Information 6/3/2024

Tone Master Pro Firmware – v1.3.74 download link

Pro Control App and Windows ASIO Driver-
Pro Control App system requirements:
  • macOS Monterey 12.7 or later
  • Windows 10 (x64) 22H2 or later
  • Windows 11
  • iOS version 13.1 or later
  • Android 8 (only arm64-v8a) or later

Release Notes
Tone Master Pro Firmware Update
Desktop Pro Control App update
Mobile Apps (NEW)!!

New Features:
    • Fender Pro Control App
      • Create, edit and share presets wirelessly with iOS or Android phones and tablets
      • Share to or download presets from the community of users and artists
      • Supports iOS 13.1 or later
      • Supports Android 8 (only arm64-v8a) or later
    • SD Card Backup & Restore
      • Store up to 25 backups locally on Micro SD card
      • Options for Backup/Restore located in Settings->User Preferences
      • Supports all micro-SD cards
    • Block Settings
      • New Block Settings menu in block edit screens. Block Settings allow you to save personalized settings for amp/cab/effect blocks and recall them from Add/Replace menus. Save up to 5 user block settings per model.
    • EXP Live Mode
      • When enabled, the preset reads the current position of the Expression pedal on preset change. This is useful for global volume by adding a Volume Pedal block to each preset.
    • 3rd-Party IR Speaker Impedance Curves
      • This allows you to select an appropriate speaker impedance curve that most closely matches your 3rd party IR.
    • Global EQ and mixer footswitch control now implemented
      • Parameter levels displayed on scribble strips and faders can be controlled from footswitch encoders
    • External Cab option added to standalone cabinet list
      • Allows use of Tone Master Pro amp models sent to an external cabinet or IR in the DAW.
New Models:
    • Amp Models
      • ‘62 Princeton
      • ‘65 Deluxe Reverb Blonde NBC (No Bright Cap)
      • Solo 100 Overdrive
      • Tangerine RV53
    • Cab Models
      • 1x10 ’62 Princeton C10R
      • 1x12 ‘62 Princeton CS
      • 4x12 Solo G12
      • 4x12 Freeman Greenback
      • 4x12 Bassbreaker V30
      • 4x12 Tangerine V30
      • 4x12 British V30
      • 4x12 British G65
    • Effect Models
      • Super Drive
      • Rocket Man
      • Big Apple Fuzz
      • Little Rock Phaser
      • Analog Delay
      • EchoTank
      • Reverse Nebula Reverb
      • Filtron
      • Enigma Filter
Product Enhancements:
    • Songs now allow custom labels for each footswitch
    • Song Labels now use large font on scribble strips
    • User IR level is now displayed in dB instead of %
    • Volume pedal effect now supports both mono and stereo signals
    • Tuner now mutes only the channels that are being tuned.
Fixes:
    • Resolved issue with FX Loops 3&4 levels
    • Scrolling improvements for presets with more models than fit on the screen
    • Fixed an issue in which moving a block to other the channel within a signal path type can reset block parameters to default
    • Fixed a UI display issue in the Mixer when adjusting a fader with the gradient view
    • Fixed issue related to some effects having a volume drop when placed post-amp model
    • Volume pedal fully mutes signal when set to 0%
    • Flanger rate knob taper modified to be closer to reference pedal
    • Fixed click on tape echo models
    • All amps, cabs & effects are phase coherent from input to output
    • Cancel button no longer persists after exiting Add Block from Signal Path
    • Celestial Reverb will no longer self-oscillate if Pitch 1 or Pitch 2 set to 0.00
    • Footswitches no longer show My Presets bank instead of Favorites bank after overwriting a Favorites preset
    • Corrected tonal difference between Space Delay Mono and Stereo
Known Issues:
    • Cannot re-download cloud preset after deleting it from My Downloads
    • Closing Desktop App while Tuner is active on hardware unmutes Tuner
    • Wrong Cab edit name displayed if User IR is replaced with factory cab in a preset

Looks like this is a pretty substantial update. I wonder if this will now allow for "correct" speaker impedance curve application when using third party IRs. If so, that should help greatly in head to head platform comparisons. Calling @GuitarJon

Wow, I assumed their first update would contain mainly things they had in the works already and didn’t think they’d get to the SIC stuff just yet. I haven’t paid attention enough to know all the current customer gripes but off the top of my head it looks like they got ‘em. I know the 3/4 outputs and expression pedal stuff has popped up a few times as an issue.

Didn’t they also give July as the expected timeline for the first big update?

Back