Fender Tone Master FR-10 and FR-12 "FRFR" cabs

Beeta

1697060136135.jpeg

Spent a few hours playing my go-to FM9 patch with the FR-12 and can confirm that it's great.
I've used the FM9 through nice studio monitors for a long time now, but never used a "guitar-specific" "FRFR" cabinet before. My normal sound translated pretty much perfectly from the monitors to this - other than a quick adjustment of high-cut in the IR.

It does feel a bit closer to using a regular guitar cabinet (compared to my monitors) and I suppose the main reason is the bigger low-end. It will couple with the floor like a real cab, but the tilty-legs are good for dealing with that. The EQ controls on-top are super handy for adjustments based on the room as well. (y)

Spent a few hours playing my go-to FM9 patch with the FR-12 and can confirm that it's great.
I've used the FM9 through nice studio monitors for a long time now, but never used a "guitar-specific" "FRFR" cabinet before. My normal sound translated pretty much perfectly from the monitors to this - other than a quick adjustment of high-cut in the IR.

It does feel a bit closer to using a regular guitar cabinet (compared to my monitors) and I suppose the main reason is the bigger low-end. It will couple with the floor like a real cab, but the tilty-legs are good for dealing with that. The EQ controls on-top are super handy for adjustments based on the room as well. (y)

fuck yeah stormtrooper GIF

Sweet! I have no doubt. :beer

Those EQ controls are well thought out. The FRFRs I chose (not named "Headrush") I chose
specifically because they had EQ controls and no DSP. Makes it super convenient for minor
room tweaks, rather than having to mess with EQ inside the box.

I assume you put your studio monitors where...most people put studio monitors.

And it sounds like you are putting the FR12 on the floor. So the coupling to the floor like a real cab thing is...all about placement. The bigger low end is also at least partially related to placement, too.

None of this is meant to be a :blanket at all. Just some observations.

I assume you put your studio monitors where...most people put studio monitors.

And it sounds like you are putting the FR12 on the floor. So the coupling to the floor like a real cab thing is...all about placement. The bigger low end is also at least partially related to placement, too.

None of this is meant to be a :blanket at all. Just some observations.
:blanket

You're screwed, @Stone. Totally screwed! :hugitout

View attachment 11830
Hahaha I don't listen to reviews I'll listen to what my fellow TGF'ers say and base things on that
But not someone that may not even exist, i totally ignore
My PowerCabs are far from sounding sterile, maybe that guy should try plugging them in and dialing them in with Fractal
BTW who the fuck is Derrick Mickleback ? :LOL:

:guiness

Last edited:

As dumb as it sounds, putting a studio monitor on the floor goes a long way toward making it sound more cab-like.

The dispersion is still very different. But...some would say better. The thing that turned me around on modeling was putting an old, kinda crappy studio monitor that I'd retired on top of my Hot Rod Deville and switching between pedals > HRD and pedals > simplifier > monitor. After a little while, I put the monitor on the floor, and then on a short stand thing. Now, it's on a shelf that's part of one of my lamps. Yes, I've also done stereo, but I apparently don't like stereo guitar sounds.

Now, I can switch between playing my fractal through that same studio monitor placed "wrong" or through my computer and my very nice mains. The mains sound better, and they're what I make decisions on when I'm splitting hairs...but that crappy speaker might be more fun...it sounds more like a really quiet 2x12 than you would probably expect.

It's today! It's today!

PXL_20231012_094742922.jpg
PXL_20231012_100026390.MP.jpg

Received the package just as i was getting ready to go to work, so i didn't get a chance to try it. I'll put it through its paces later tonight.

First impressions were very good though. The FR-12 notably lighter than the Powercab 112, and sightly more compact too; i'd say about the size of a Hot Rod Deluxe.

Last edited:
As dumb as it sounds, putting a studio monitor on the floor goes a long way toward making it sound more cab-like.

The dispersion is still very different. But...some would say better. The thing that turned me around on modeling was putting an old, kinda crappy studio monitor that I'd retired on top of my Hot Rod Deville and switching between pedals > HRD and pedals > simplifier > monitor. After a little while, I put the monitor on the floor, and then on a short stand thing. Now, it's on a shelf that's part of one of my lamps. Yes, I've also done stereo, but I apparently don't like stereo guitar sounds.

Now, I can switch between playing my fractal through that same studio monitor placed "wrong" or through my computer and my very nice mains. The mains sound better, and they're what I make decisions on when I'm splitting hairs...but that crappy speaker might be more fun...it sounds more like a really quiet 2x12 than you would probably expect.
Yeah, I’ve done the same thing for experimenting. I initially thought Jay’s reflection free IR was underwhelming at doing what it purported to do. But then I realized I’d never listened to a comb amp sitting 40” off the ground, 5 feet from my head, pointed straight at my ear. Once I put my monitors where I put a cab they did what they said they do.

But…I’m not keen on kicking through a driver, so I never kept them there for long. And I generally just find it way easier to…use a cab when I want the sound of a cab.

Yeah, I’ve done the same thing for experimenting. I initially thought Jay’s reflection free IR was underwhelming at doing what it purported to do. But then I realized I’d never listened to a comb amp sitting 40” off the ground, 5 feet from my head, pointed straight at my ear. Once I put my monitors where I put a cab they did what they said they do.

But…I’m not keen on kicking through a driver, so I never kept them there for long. And I generally just find it way easier to…use a cab when I want the sound of a cab.

That's totally valid.

IDK...I don't think grille cloth is actually going to protect a cone that much if you actually kick it. But, it's a lot more reassuring to have it there.

Back