(UPDATED for new FW!) EVH amp vs Axe Fx, QC and TMP...

I guess we're all wrong...

Screenshot_20231103_190137_YouTube.jpg

FWIW, I’ve known two of those beta testers for close to 20 years and the idea of either one of them shilling is akin to idea of James Freeman or la szum shilling gear to me, so my defense of these two comes from the same place, I’ve just known the beta testers longer and even off the internet. Frankly, I’m surprised they’d even chance McShred speaking about it publicly as he’s not one to pull punches. They’re both business owners in fields unrelated to gear/music and do the weekend cover band thing.

One thing is for sure, those dudes don’t do high gain chugga chugga stuff, they‘re boutique amp guys, mostly the modded Marshall thing. McShred is always going through amps and jdzialak has some nice older Marshalls and some Suhrs. They’re both also Fractal owners and looking at their recent gig pics/videos, McShred was using his FM9 w/ a Morris amp and jdzialak was using the TMP with the cab (he’s got an FM9 as well), within the last month. McShred tends to be a “Hmmm, what should I use tonight?” kinda guy, with guitars and amps. They both got Fractals for convenience/size reasons……and probably because McShred broke his arm like two times in a row and couldn’t carry shit for a while. :rofl

I didn’t read all that TOP thread, I didn’t even read their posts, just wanted to lend my history with them.

So, what does it feel like to upset a multinational, multibillion corporation with a single video 😁

Haha kind of weird? Some of the reactions also have been strange... I don't know if they are really upset. If they are they shouldn't be upset with me, as I said earlier it wasn't my goal to piss anybody off. however, I did talk a little bit to Max and he seems nice and respectful so that's good!

Haha kind of weird? Some of the reactions also have been strange... I don't know if they are really upset. If they are they shouldn't be upset with me, as I said earlier it wasn't my goal to piss anybody off. however, I did talk a little bit to Max and he seems nice and respectful so that's good!
Yeah, I mean, genuinely good on them for acknowledging it and saying they’ll check it out. I’m not sure they really had much of a choice, but a lot of big corps would’ve just doubled down with gaslighting and said “no, it’s the best, ignore your ears and listen to us!”

Do I really believe it’s just a bug? Eh. But the fact that they were upfront about it within 1 day is the right move for building trust and showing they’re committed to the product. I do believe that it’ll be noticeably improved in the next firmware or two.

I've got the physical amps of the same models of BE-100 and Recto amps that are in TMP. Sweetwater has "demo" TMPs for $1530.

I am soooo tempted to buy one and take all this crap up the street to the studio I usually goof off in and reamp some Lasse Lammert against the Amps, TMP and AXE III. Mic up a real cab there, run the TMP and AXE into the power amps of the real physical amps and just see what is what.

It would be a shit load of work and I can get studio time pretty cheap but it would also be a hell of a lot of fun and I know the guy there would love trying to legitimately match these up vs each other.

I would expect a lot more people will be shooting out the TMP over the next months. Props to @GuitarJon on the EVH shootout.

Dude, do the Recto next. I know you have one in that amp pile of yours. :satan Who knows how many more bugs will be uncovered...

Good question! I left all of that at the default position but I don't know what those are because I didn't take a look. In any case, the Fractal sounded really good! Next time I'll definitely keep that in mind. I used the standard 5153 impedance curve as well.
To illustrate the importance of having the proper impedance curve:

This is our reference amp into an LB-2 load-box vs. the model using the default 4x12 5153 impedance curve:
5153_matching_cab.PNG

and here is the same thing except using the LB-2 UK speaker impedance curve:
5153_loadbox.PNG

The matching cab's resonance is higher in frequency and lower in amplitude than the load-box which makes it seem like the model has less bass than the real amp. Once the correct impedance curve is selected the error is eliminated.

Amps with low amounts of negative feedback in the bass region are sensitive to the impedance curve. The 5153 is one of these amps due to its NFB circuit.

To illustrate the importance of having the proper impedance curve:

This is our reference amp into an LB-2 load-box vs. the model using the default 4x12 5153 impedance curve:
View attachment 13198

and here is the same thing except using the LB-2 UK speaker impedance curve:
View attachment 13199
The matching cab's resonance is higher in frequency and lower in amplitude than the load-box which makes it seem like the model has less bass than the real amp. Once the correct impedance curve is selected the error is eliminated.

Amps with low amounts of negative feedback in the bass region are sensitive to the impedance curve. The 5153 is one of these amps due to its NFB circuit.
Are you using the RTA block in the Axe to show the difference of two signals? Is that some built-in feature, or are you reversing the phase of one of the signals before summing at the RTA block (or something like that)?

Back