Eventide H90 then???

Oh and the reason is, quantization noise, and happens with all AD/DA conversion.

I can tolerate a certain amount. Guitar is supposed to be noisy to an extent. I don't really like super clean guitar rigs, which is probably why I can't go 100% modeller too.

It's extremely common to have extra noise when you have digital pedals in front of the amp, with the amp set to a high-gain. The H9 is indeed quite noisy in front of an amp. I don't know if the H90 will be different, I hope so.

He's completely right about the AD/DA stages causing extra noise. Whether it breaks your tolerance threshold is another thing.

I use delays and reverbs in front of the amp, never in the loop. That's my style. But I sold my Eventide Timefactor and SPACE for precisely this reason. So yeah you do need to be a bit careful when running those kind of things in front of the amp. In the loop, pretty much anything will work.

I don't personally think analog dry-thru is all that important. If you're running a delay or reverb, the wet portion is still introducing that AD/DA stage, which is the thing that causes noise. So analog dry-thru isn't really saving you all that much in terms of noise. All it is doing is ensuring that you can't get certain sounds via the DSP - 100% wet reversed delays and things like that.
When my H9 was in bypass, I experienced no extra noise. My amp stayed pretty quiet. Active would have been a phaser, OD or Compressor. The analog versions of those things introduce noise. I really didnt find the H9 to introduce any ‘extra’ noise above and beyond that. That was my experience, anyway.

It is going to have to sound a lot better than the H9 . The factor pedals sound far better than H9 even though they are supposedly the same algorithms.

Well I tried one. Yes as bad sounding as a H9 . The Reverbs are as synthetic as hell and the delays aren’t much better. The time factor still destroys it for tone. Boss 500 pedals sound better ( as long as you don’t use the presets.)

I’ve literally never heard anyone complain about the H9’s tones. Usability, yes. A f*****g nightmare. But not tones.

And I definitely disagree big time about the Boss 500 series sounding better. I’ve had the H9 and the DD500 at the same time, and there’s no way the delays are better on the Boss.

To each their own though.
My reference for reverb is a PCM42 and delay a 2290 . I can get far closer on the 500 series. The reverb is totally synthetic and sounds like an effect whatever you do on the H9 . A PCM actually sounds like an environment. Factor pedals don’t sound like this , they are far nicer sounding. Have you ever tried to get a H9 to sound like a PCM or AB tested them? The H9 sounds thin and one dimensional by comparison and has a sheen in the overall tone that is always present in all algorithms . People have forgotten what good actually sounds like and replaced it with more.

Last edited:
It sounds killer to me. I'm a bit of a delay and reverb slut. People go nuts about the various minor differences between boost pedals and drive pedals. I'm like that with delay and reverb.

In terms of delays right now I have:

Boss DD-500
Boss DD-8
Boss DM-2w
Hardwire DL-8
MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe
TC Electronics Flashback 2 X4

In terms of reverbs I have:

Boss RV-500
Boss RV-5
Source Audio Ventris
TC Electronic Hall of Fame 2 X4
MXR M300 Reverb

In the past I have owned:

Strymon Dig
Strymon El Capistan
Strymon Timeline
Strymon Volante
Strymon BigSky
Catalinbread Belle Epoch Deluxe
Meris Mercury 7
Source Audio Nemesis
Source Audio Collider
EHX Memory Man TT1100
Digitech Timebender
Line 6 DL-4 MKI
Line 6 Echo Park
Empress Echosystem
Hardwire Supernatural
Ibanez DE8

I've also owned the Eventide H9 in the past.

I like the H90. Tis very good.

This was just an excuse to post a list of shit I've owned.

I have an H9 somewhere, should sell it, I only used it for detune and the SpaceTime algorithm really...

Not a big reverb guy and what's in the Axe is pretty freaking great so I'm good.
For delays the Keeley Halo, Diamond ML Jr and a Korg SDD-3000 pedals covers any delay need I can think of really. :giggle:

new H90 on my board as well. Working great in 4CM with SSv2. No issues and sounds fabulous.
Took me a bit to figure things out. The editor is very nice and easy to use.

Yes I have because I owned every single one of those units and IME yes they sound a bit different but acting like it’s a night and day difference to the point it “destroys” is beyond laughable.
The character is night and day different and use them in a wdw and they do destroy the tinny little sounds of the h9.

Back