Eventide H90 then???

So how do you guys feel about the H90 fx vs HX and FAS equivalents?

I love my helix floor and still won't part with it because it does so much and I like the 4 fx loops that I run my outside pedals into etc.. And I think the quality is still great, however I really do love the quality of the H90 a bit more when it comes to the effects, same as my strymon stuff etc.. They just sound a bit better but doesn't mean helix isn't usable as it's highly usable and always has been to me and I use it still for my blues / shred stuff and of course amps/cabs but these days it seems like my effects are outside stuff now.

So how do you guys feel about the H90 fx vs HX and FAS equivalents?

H90 is a fair bit noisier than a few of my other pedals, certainly noisier than the Helix and Axe FX III. The algorithms are sweet and being able to run two of them in tandem can cover soooooo much ground. It's about as easy as the Helix and Axe FX III to use.

If you had very limited needs, you could get by with just the H90 and a wah pedal I'd say.

I just put this together today:
1671818147869.png

Mainly as something to do coz I was bored. But it sounds sweet.

H90 is a fair bit noisier than a few of my other pedals, certainly noisier than the Helix and Axe FX III. The algorithms are sweet and being able to run two of them in tandem can cover soooooo much ground. It's about as easy as the Helix and Axe FX III to use.

If you had very limited needs, you could get by with just the H90 and a wah pedal I'd say.

View attachment 3247

Boss DD-500 <3

Got me a boss fs-5u footswitch in the mail yesterday to use with my dd-500 or md-500 or rv-500 but i stuck it in the dd-500 for now and been having fun setting one delay up with like 5000ms in the assign section and minimum to 500ms and momentary going back and forth to make a trippy long delay loop thing happen!

View attachment 3247

If to could do 4cm with OD and act as an IR player; I could certainly "make do" with it!
Boss DD-500 <3

Got me a boss fs-5u footswitch in the mail yesterday to use with my dd-500 or md-500 or rv-500 but i stuck it in the dd-500 for now and been having fun setting one delay up with like 5000ms in the assign section and minimum to 500ms and momentary going back and forth to make a trippy long delay loop thing happen!
Boss delay tones are my jam :love

View attachment 3247

Sigh, still noisy? They’ve been making high noise floor pedals since the Factor pedals, and the H9 was noisy too. I know they’ve heard several complaints, and I was hoping they would’ve finally put in decent converters in a $900 pedal… great algos but I get annoyed so it’s a no go for me!

Sigh, still noisy? They’ve been making high noise floor pedals since the Factor pedals, and the H9 was noisy too. I know they’ve heard several complaints, and I was hoping they would’ve finally put in decent converters in a $900 pedal… great algos but I get annoyed so it’s a no go for me!
Bear in mind I'm talking about in the front of the amp. Yes, it's still fairly noisy. Not intolerably so, just noticeably so.

I did post some noise stats in another thread:

1671743251816-png.3236

The H90 is around 5dB noisier than the DD500, TC Electronic Flashback X4II and HoFX4II, and MXR Reverb, when plugged into the front of an amp.

The baseline noise of the amp and guitar was -82dB rms, and the measurement for just the H90 was -72dB rms. That means the H90 is adding 10dB worth of noise to the noise floor of the entire rig - again, going into the front of the amp.

The DD500, TC Electronic Flashback X4II and HoFX4II, and MXR Reverb, each add about 5dB worth of noise to the noise floor of the entire rig.

Now if you consider that for every increase of 3dB the perception is around a 23% increase in loudness.... you can consider the H90 to be around 50% louder in terms of raw noise floor than these other pedals, when plugged into the front of an amplifier and being driven by some gain.

If you're in the effects loop that won't change the physics of the DAC. But it will make the effect less noticeable.

DD500 does a better 2290 tone than the h9 or 90 .
Not gonna lie, was using it tonight and loving it. It has some problems though that really piss me off - the delay timings when using a+b "series" routing mode are just completely incorrect, and they can't fix it because of their architectural limitations.

And then there is no nice saturation possibilities like there is on the Timeline for instance.... so when I do my oscillation delay stuff, it just quickly turns into nasty horrible shit, which is a real shame, because in all other respects it is the perfect pedal.

The TC Flashback X4 II is actually really impressive tonally. Noise floor is very good, and the under the hood editing on desktop allows you to really craft your pants off.

I do honestly think these pedals give the H90 delays a run for their money. It's a pedal... not meant to save the world or anything!! I bought it coz it's a wicked swiss army knife pedal, I wasn't expecting blowjobs!

Not gonna lie, was using it tonight and loving it. It has some problems though that really piss me off - the delay timings when using a+b "series" routing mode are just completely incorrect, and they can't fix it because of their architectural limitations.

And then there is no nice saturation possibilities like there is on the Timeline for instance.... so when I do my oscillation delay stuff, it just quickly turns into nasty horrible s**t, which is a real shame, because in all other respects it is the perfect pedal.

The TC Flashback X4 II is actually really impressive tonally. Noise floor is very good, and the under the hood editing on desktop allows you to really craft your pants off.

I do honestly think these pedals give the H90 delays a run for their money. It's a pedal... not meant to save the world or anything!! I bought it coz it's a wicked swiss army knife pedal, I wasn't expecting blowjobs!
I agree the DD500 certainly has issues and terrible presets which doesn't help people hear how good it actually is . But good converters and dry through help enormously . I really find the H9 and H90 not to be that great from an overall tone perspective. The noise is an issue but that also have character that is in everything that I can't seem to get rid of. They aren't bad but I really don't think that live up to their "Eventide" reputation. I think the Factor pedals "sound" nicer but they have their own reliability issues. No clear cut best .

You have a Helix with it :ROFLMAO:

And your point? I'm not saying anything is wrong with SHARC chips. Just pointing out H9 sounds fine as is with them, and H90 is fine with the ARM ones.

So far you're the only person that seems to be griping :p

Back