Eventide H90 then???

Stretch the pocket a bit more and get a FM3. Pristine effects (the H9/H90 reverbs and chorus are lame compared with the Fractal), all effects can be cloned, and you get some useful extras at the FM3

I bought the H9 a while ago expecting something magic, but I was very dissapointed

Stretch the pocket a bit more and get a FM3. Pristine effects (the H9/H90 reverbs and chorus are lame compared with the Fractal), all effects can be cloned, and you get some useful extras at the FM3

I bought the H9 a while ago expecting something magic, but I was very dissapointed
Yeah I’ve ran an H9 in the loop of a FM3 for several years as my main direct rig and can’t agree with you on the “lame” thing.

Poopy talk!

Had an H9 on my ax8 board and it now sits on my FM9 board. It’s there because I find it very much NOT lame.
The H90 will be on its way here shortly. Probably not keeping it because:
1. It’s too big for my board. The H9 footprint is a lot smaller
2. I’d need 8 H90s to do what I can do with the H9000 and still end up with less IO, so it’s going to be useless to me on the desk.

I think there is a HUGE gap in their product line, being the obvious H900. They go from 899 4 channel IO 2 algorithms in the H90 at a time to 7 grand extensive IO and 16 simultaneous algorithms in the H9000.

Had an H9 on my ax8 board and it now sits on my FM9 board. It’s there because I find it very much NOT lame.
The H90 will be on its way here shortly. Probably not keeping it because:
1. It’s too big for my board. The H9 footprint is a lot smaller
2. I’d need 8 H90s to do what I can do with the H9000 and still end up with less IO, so it’s going to be useless to me on the desk.

I think there is a HUGE gap in their product line, being the obvious H900. They go from 899 4 channel IO 2 algorithms in the H90 at a time to 7 grand extensive IO and 16 simultaneous algorithms in the H9000.
I know we are on different ends of this discussion as far as being big on Eventide stuff. But is the 9000 REALLY $7k good compared to a III? That price is INSANE to me; no matter how good it is.

I know we are on different ends of this discussion as far as being big on Eventide stuff. But is the 9000 REALLY $7k good compared to a III? That price is INSANE to me; no matter how good it is.
For what it does, if you need that kind of firepower and flexibility, yes.

Most home studio users do not and it’s insanely overkill in a guitar rig. Still, not even utilizing the network IO in my desk, I’m running 8 stereo channels of fx up to 2 algorithms per channel (average, 16 total). Under the hood is all the H9 algorithms, a full featured reverb sp2016 as well as a greatest hits from other legacy products.

Given what you can spend on a single rackmount reverb or the latest lexicon unit, I’d say the H9000 is at least competitive.

For what it does, if you need that kind of firepower and flexibility, yes.

Most home studio users do not and it’s insanely overkill in a guitar rig. Still, not even utilizing the network IO in my desk, I’m running 8 stereo channels of fx up to 2 algorithms per channel (average, 16 total). Under the hood is all the H9 algorithms, a full featured reverb sp2016 as well as a greatest hits from other legacy products.

Given what you can spend on a single rackmount reverb or the latest lexicon unit, I’d say the H9000 is at least competitive.
I will definitely say the micropitch pedal has interested me. I could get on board with the H90 if it had IR loading and some other features it was (being honest with myself) not necessarily made for. I do like all the clips of the effects algos I have heard from them over the years. It's just at a budget range that will never be in line with my fiscal reality :rofl

I will definitely say the micropitch pedal has interested me. I could get on board with the H90 if it had IR loading and some other features it was (being honest with myself) not necessarily made for. I do like all the clips of the effects algos I have heard from them over the years. It's just at a budget range that will never be in line with my fiscal reality :rofl
I predict h9 aftermarket will hit the toilet once these get rolling. I have one and it still serves me well. Just for that specialty effect here and there. The 90 is incoming but I’m not sure I’ll keep it.

Honestly, this is looking maybe perfect for me, if I'm looking to move on from the FM9 to something smaller and simpler for effects only. Either in 4cm or just in post...

I've kind of moved on from experimenting with amp modelling and am back to just using my Mesa and the FM9's (amazing) effects. And I absolutely LOVE all the Fractal effects. It's just such a big and heavy unit and greatly increases my board's weight and size... however having all those switches is really nice.... agghh, I'm torn.

So I had a GREAT time with my FM9 at practice last night and am no longer tempted by the H90.

Yes, the FM9 is large and heavy-ish, but it's still easy to transport in a PT Classic 2 case, which also carries my Mic Mechanic 2, Fuzz Head, and mini expression pedal, so it's a good all-in-one setup. Little heavier to lift, but also super simple, cabling-wise and power-wise on the bottom. No extra adapters taped to the bottom, etc. And it super-simplifies everything while actually playing with the band so I can just have fun and not be hitting special switches/knobs or moving between presets all the time.

I was reminded while singing and playing at practice (I sing lead in a trio) how nice it is to have everything in a single preset and laid out so easily and orderly on a single unit. No split-second "which pedal and where is it" moments while singing, or having to reach up to an upper row pedal that's hard to get at, etc. Everything is perfectly in reach and assigned exactly where I like it. Love it!

And finally, the Fractal effects are SO DAMN GOOD. Just love the Uni-Vibe and Phase 90, along with the 2290 and SD1 and others. Absolutely no want for anything else, effect-wise, which is pretty remarkable.

So I had a GREAT time with my FM9 at practice last night and am no longer tempted by the H90.

Yes, the FM9 is large and heavy-ish, but it's still easy to transport in a PT Classic 2 case, which also carries my Mic Mechanic 2, Fuzz Head, and mini expression pedal, so it's a good all-in-one setup. Little heavier to lift, but also super simple, cabling-wise and power-wise on the bottom. No extra adapters taped to the bottom, etc.

And, I was reminded while singing and playing at practice (I sing lead in a trio) how nice it is to have everything in a single preset and laid out so easily and orderly on a single unit. No split-second "which pedal and where is it" moments while singing, or having to reach up to an upper row pedal that's hard to get at, etc Everything is perfectly in reach and assigned exactly where I like it. Love it!

And finally, the Fractal effects are SO DAMN GOOD. Just love the Uni-Vibe and Phase 90, along with the 2290 and SD1 and others. Absolutely no want for anything else, effect-wise, which is pretty remarkable.
Nothing wrong with that. Yes the 2290 delay is Devine to say the least.

Out of curiosity what don't you like about the Eventide stuff?

Out of curiosity what don't you like about the Eventide stuff?
H9 one footswitch is something I would never buy. I don't care how I am wrong and that it's actually super functional. One footswitch is one footswwitch. That and the prices :oops: Sounds are good.

I’m tempted…. Just when I said I was done gigging outboard pedals with the helix they go and release this…

D

H9 one footswitch is something I would never buy. I don't care how I am wrong and that it's actually super functional. One footswitch is one footswwitch. That and the prices :oops: Sounds are good.
Oh no you aren’t wrong as far as I’m concerned with the one button but I use a midi pedal so that’s not a thing for me but for others I can see. That it sounds fantastic makes it worth it for me.

In all fairness, the H9 has 2 switches, several buttons and ability to add another switch but I get the point, too. It’s quite compact and I wouldn’t use it outside of midi switching, either.

Dave and I in agreement.... dropping some truth on AD/DA conversions, latency, and the absence of
analog dry path on the Eventide stuff.

Last edited:
Maybe his h9 was broken. I didn’t have any excessive noise with the h9 in front of my amp other than normal drive stuff.
Compressors and other effects were pretty quiet.

It's extremely common to have extra noise when you have digital pedals in front of the amp, with the amp set to a high-gain. The H9 is indeed quite noisy in front of an amp. I don't know if the H90 will be different, I hope so.

He's completely right about the AD/DA stages causing extra noise. Whether it breaks your tolerance threshold is another thing.

I use delays and reverbs in front of the amp, never in the loop. That's my style. But I sold my Eventide Timefactor and SPACE for precisely this reason. So yeah you do need to be a bit careful when running those kind of things in front of the amp. In the loop, pretty much anything will work.

I don't personally think analog dry-thru is all that important. If you're running a delay or reverb, the wet portion is still introducing that AD/DA stage, which is the thing that causes noise. So analog dry-thru isn't really saving you all that much in terms of noise. All it is doing is ensuring that you can't get certain sounds via the DSP - 100% wet reversed delays and things like that.

Back