Computer option paralysis

SillyOctpuss

Shredder
My laptop died a few weeks ago and while getting the cash together for a replacement I've been having a look at options. The biggest issue I have is I've tied myself in knots trying to decide what to go for.

My budget is going to be about £600. I can't decided between a used laptop, building a desktop or a 2020 mac mini.

I'd be able to get a used M1 16gb mac mini, i7 11th or 12th gen based laptop or build a new I5 12600k/or ryzen based pc for that budget.

I think I'd prefer something small I don't really want another huge tower taking up room but can't deny I'd get a lot more performance with a desktop.

What would you gents do? This will primarily be for recording and mucking about with VSTs.

Lots of love for the mac mini, any particular reasons why you all love your macs? I haven't used a one in over 20 years but I am tempted to have another go with logic.

Mac mini ;)

Running one for…+10 years now….and I got my second one 2 years ago…so in my mind they keep performing longer then windows machines…

I'd go for the Mac Mini as well, even though the external display support on the M1 series is a bit crap. But I run pretty high spec displays (dual 4K 144 Hz) compared to many.

I'd go for the Mac Mini as well, even though the external display support on the M1 series is a bit crap. But I run pretty high spec displays (dual 4K 144 Hz) compared to many.

I don't think I'll need to go above 1440p on my display tbh.

I'd rather have a laptop, but a m1 macbook pro will be stretching my budget a bit too far I think.

The significantly more affordable M1 Macbook Air is nicer in many ways than the Pro IMO, and the best bang for buck laptop.

I recently got an M3 Max MacBook Pro for work (I didn't buy it), but my favourite is still my personal M1 MacBook Air which is incredibly powerful for its size and much more comfortable and lightweight. It has more than enough power for audio. I should add that the Air is 16GB RAM though, rather than the daft 8GB base.

Of course, the M1 Mac Mini is also great as others here have already confirmed (y)

Last edited:
The significantly more affordable M1 Macbook Air is nicer in many ways than the Pro IMO, and the best bang for buck laptop.

I recently got an M3 Max MacBook Pro for work (I didn't buy it), but my favourite is still my personal M1 MacBook Air which is incredibly powerful for its size and much more comfortable and lightweight. It has more than enough power for audio. I should add that the Air is 16GB RAM though, rather than the daft 8GB base.

Of course, the M1 Mac Mini is also great as others here have already confirmed (y)

I've just been having a look on ebay and macbook pro and air are pretty similar pricing. Doesn't appear to be much of a difference in them. I might hold on till I have a few more quid put aside and go for a laptop instead of the mac mini.

I've been using a laptop for so long I might miss it too much to switch to a desktop.

I'd also +1 a mac mini. They're really good value tbh.

If you're in a bind and need something cheap, I do have an old i7 mac mini kicking around that you could have for a song.

But if you can swing it to get an M2 based one I think you'll be happy!

I'd also +1 a mac mini. They're really good value tbh.

If you're in a bind and need something cheap, I do have an old i7 mac mini kicking around that you could have for a song.

But if you can swing it to get an M2 based one I think you'll be happy!

Thanks for the offer @Orvillain. I'm going to take everyones advice and go for a M1 mac of some variety. I'm thinking about saving a bit longer and going for a macbook pro. I've been using a laptop so long I think I'd struggle going back to a desktop now.

I have a M1 Mac Mini and M2 MacBook Air with 1TB SSD and 24GB RAM. If you grab a MacBook Air, stay away from the base model 256GB - the drive performance is SLOW.

I love the MBA but honestly the M1 mini still just crushes for performance.

Back