mac experts...is a mac studio total overkill vs. a mac mini?

My situation is, I do a lot of 3D work, design work, programming, and of course all of the audio work. I need a beastly machine, especially for the 3D.

Apple don't offer me a machine in my price range that is powerful enough. But in general I really like Macs.

My situation is, I do a lot of 3D work, design work, programming, and of course all of the audio work. I need a beastly machine, especially for the 3D.

Apple don't offer me a machine in my price range that is powerful enough. But in general I really like Macs.
Yeah they definitely "altered the deal" now that you cannot connect an eGPU with a Nvidia/AMD card to an ARM Mac if you need a lot of GPU horsepower. Meanwhile Apple does not make an ARM-based Mac Pro even though that is rumored to release this year. It will probably be unreasonably expensive for anything but as a business expense.

I kinda want to like the Mac Studio but the HDMI 2.0 port (when HDMI 2.1 had been out for years) and the inability to upgrade the internal SSDs with anything but Apple's overpriced stuff (if even that) is bullshit. I paid 229 euros for a Samsung 980 Pro 2 Tb M.2 NVME drive recently whereas upgrading a Mac Studio to 2 Tb costs freakin' 690 euros!

Last edited:
Back