Captures/profiles, for me; are ultimately a useless diversion. NTTAWWT

Creative is going to scold me

I don’t care what anyone else uses.

But in terms of JT— the mistakes, the victories, the leadership, the wit, the generosity and everything in between—the totality that adds-up to the legend™ that is @JiveTurkey —that doesn’t really have anything to do with Boss, or any other brand of guitar gear.

YMMV

Last edited:
And none of the people I know making records that actually sell is using Kempers or models. It’s still easier to record amps and if you’re good at it, have a good room, amps etc,
To be fair, he said “people he knows,” but I’m going to have to disagree with your second statement. Micing an amplifier is an art. It’s much easier to plug a Kemper into the board.

But as his first sentence makes clear, he doesn't care what other people use. Right? Right?!?
I’m just sharing information.

Also Satch had access to a professional recording studio, and what comes with that along with his amps, however decided to go with the plugin at the end of day when comparing things in this particular instance.

Do you have access to these a.ps to capture yourself?
Some yes, others friends’, and Dr Bonkers who sells IRs that are well off the beaten track has said he intends to sell captures and I’d imagine some of his will be somewhat esoteric.

So in general your point about there being a good range of options available from Fractal and Line 6 is true. But to give you a specific example, Line 6 has an EH185 model for the Helix. And it sounds absolutely unlike the real amp. Not even close. The sound of a laminated archtop with a single coil pickup through that amp has a particular sound signature and response and that’s what I’m looking for.

And doubtless there are people who come close to emulating that amp using a Fractal but personally I’m not interested in investigating all the different amp topologies, capacitors, etc, to try and get an approximation. It would really be much simpler to get a capture and see if it satisfies my criteria.

So that’s my rationale and I’m sticking to ;) But as is said, the proof of the pudding is in the eating. So only time will tell.

Some yes, others friends’, and Dr Bonkers who sells IRs that are well off the beaten track has said he intends to sell captures and I’d imagine some of his will be somewhat esoteric.

So in general your point about there being a good range of options available from Fractal and Line 6 is true. But to give you a specific example, Line 6 has an EH185 model for the Helix. And it sounds absolutely unlike the real amp. Not even close. The sound of a laminated archtop with a single coil pickup through that amp has a particular sound signature and response and that’s what I’m looking for.

And doubtless there are people who come close to emulating that amp using a Fractal but personally I’m not interested in investigating all the different amp topologies, capacitors, etc, to try and get an approximation. It would really be much simpler to get a capture and see if it satisfies my criteria.

So that’s my rationale and I’m sticking to ;) But as is said, the proof of the pudding is in the eating. So only time will tell.
If you will be doing your own profiling, this approach has a decent chance of success. As for Dr. Bonkers, I tried a bunch of his IRs. Esoteric, yes. Realistic, not so much. Capturing that je ne c'est quoi when tu ne c'es quoi (high school French was a long time ago so forgive errors here) can be challenging. The more you can put your finger on what's missing from a model (or first stab at a profile) and define it with words, the more likely you will be in succeeding . Best of luck and please report back with examples of you do have success! Perhaps you will convince me to take one for a spin.

And none of the people I know making records that actually sell is using Kempers or models. It’s still easier to record amps and if you’re good at it, have a good room, amps etc, it’s more fun and dare I say creative.
I'd say these people have already invested a lot of time, effort and money in a setup that allows them to mic real amps and cabs so they have a vested interest in using it. Having learned to work well with it is also its own value.

Someone like me who does this as a hobby is far better off with a digital unit. I don't need a pile of expensive amps, cabs, switchers, mics, preamps etc tools to record guitar that sounds professional. I don't need to know how to properly mic a cab if I don't want as e.g York Audio or whoever has basically done it for me.

I wouldn't call either necessarily more or less creative but I can agree working with real hardware is more fun.

I've avoided profilers mainly because I know how I am. The tech is cool, and I like to tinker and tweak things and a profiler would take up too much time to be worth it. I like to build amps, so it would be weird to go through all that and then profile it too lol. Just one more thing I don't need to add to my plate.

I think sometimes I (at least) make mic'ing an amp some insurmountable challenge that it maybe isn't? But plugging a modeler into an interface is for me, MUCH easier when all the circumstances required for properly mic'ing an amp are taken into account.
Yeah, I don't think mic'ing an amp is a huge hassle. But for recording, it means having a separate live room, or monitoring through headphones at a more-than-healthy level, etc. No matter how simple putting the mic up and dialing the amp is, even in a pro studio, it is NOT easier than plugging a modeler into an input channel.

No matter how simple putting the mic up and dialing the amp is, even in a pro studio, it is NOT easier than plugging a modeler into an input channel.

Agreed. And with the modeller you can recall that same cab and mic placement weeks or months later; over and over again. Can also 100% replicate the recorded tones live too with no worries about mic bleed or other real world issues like that.

This product came out at about the worst possible time for me, very little time for guitar for a few months and what time I do have for it is focused on gigs and prepping for gigs, no time to experiment with new gear.

Been watching others experience from a distance to see what I want to do when I finally have some time to experiment. I was particularly interested in what the hard to please crowd like JT would think about it after some time.

The big question I’ve been trying to answer is what would I really gain from it? I’m happy with what I can achieve with Helix for direct sounds and I don’t have an amp around that makes a sound that I can’t reproduce well enough with Helix for live stuff.

Maybe there’s not enough to gain here for me to spend the time on it…. I have a feeling I might end up finding a few interesting profiles I like, dialing in something similar on Helix, and finding no real reason to keep the profiler around. I’ve got a pile of cool outboard gear here that has already met a similar fate…

D
Not for nothing, but it sounds like this product came out at the best possible time for you. :)

Satriani’s last album was a plugin for amp tones.
Yeah I don’t know him. And I didn’t claim that it’s not done because I know it is.

Anyway I really truly do not care what anyone else uses. I’m interested in hearing about all of your journeys and I’m certainly not judging anyone, or even thinking that the person with the best gear is getting the best tones or that the person with the gear that I question is doing something worse, or that he’s inevitably sounding worse. Historically that just isn’t how it all plays out.

And anyone who’s been reading @JiveTurkey posts for all these years knows that he always sounds great, even with all his questionable “gear”(™).

:farley

Last edited:
Back