Captures/profiles, for me; are ultimately a useless diversion. NTTAWWT

You should watch on 2.5 speed Tonewars latest Tone-X vid :sofa :rofl

Lost all interest after this (incredible) stunt he pulled.

screenshot-2023-01-01-194510-jpg.3428

Money talks, boys!

I haven’t cracked open the box holding the pedal yet, so I can’t comment on how the pedal deviates from using Tonex as a plugin. That being said it’s cool to have, but I don’t know that it really adds anything/much to just going with HX Native for the amp modeling portion in that environment. Additionally HX Native is more flexible. On the other hand the pedal itself after the discount is less than picking up a Browne Protein OD so it does offers a lot of variety at the price point.

I haven’t cracked open the box holding the pedal yet, so I can’t comment on how the pedal deviates from using Tonex as a plugin. That being said it’s cool to have, but I don’t know that it really adds anything/much to just going with HX Native for the amp modeling portion in that environment. Additionally HX Native is more flexible. On the other hand the pedal itself after the discount is less than picking up a Browne Protein OD so it does offers a lot of variety at the price point.
The double-edged sword: I think I hate it, but it was almost free. And now I have to spend money to return it.

thinking-gif-2018-21.gif

The double-edged sword: I think I hate it, but it was almost free. And now I have to spend money to return it.

thinking-gif-2018-21.gif
I’m going to keep it around for some variety. Pretty much the same as how I feel about the plugin. Though as I’ve shared before I don’t see any utility in owning more than one brand/device at a time for snapshot implementation.

So I've had the Tone-X for a few weeks. (Not) coincidentally the same amount of time I've been absent from TGFWC :unsure::bag:unsure:

I spent a bunch of time struggling to capture my amp on and off (with good support from IK) but ultimately ended up with 2 caps of my own that I like. I have about 6-8 caps from other users I really like.

I haven't recorded a GD lick of guitar with them because I NEVER. EVER. EVER. Do anything productive, recording wise; with profiles or captures.

Loved gigging the Kemper a number of times but for recording; ehh. Something about the workflow of that type of tool just doesn't suit me. Tone-X is the same. I know Creative is going to scold me about all the great recordings Kempers have done over the years :sofa:rofland I get it; but captures/profiling is just not productive for me at all for that purpose.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The biggest advantage is not having to set up a cabinet and mic every time.

As a home hack, I’m not really looking for a “solution”. I just like playing a bunch of different gear until I “SQUIRREL” for something else. From that perspective I sort of dig ToneX as something I can connect up once a week, download and handful of caps, and then have it there for those times I’m not really looking to do anything other then dick around trying stuff. For me, not every time I sit down with a guitar am I actually really trying to do anything “productive”. Sometimes I’m just wanting to mess around with gear more than actually play. Occasionally I feel inspired to actual do something. (And generally in those moments I just fire up an amp, as God intended)

Almost anything can be a diversion if your so inclined (pedals, modelers) but I do agree that captures do tend to lean more in that direction just by their very nature of doing the demo, download, rinse, repeat, process. I’m sure though some people just find 6-7 awesome caps and never look back. Which highlights if you have gear/tone ADHD (Guilty as charged) it’s probably not the best “solution” for productivity, but I’d say that’s not necessarily the gears fault, and what qualifies as “productive” for any given player will vary.

Man I’d be stoked if Kemper would just release a 1 rack item that would just let me play the profiles (a lot of them) that I bought the first time I had the Kemper.

I have my amps, I don’t need to profile them but there were some really good Cameron caps I loved for metal.

No but he does some "characters" and certainly expresses end user frustration about it (as well as frustration of not getting one sent to him for free)
Trying to watch this right now. 2.5x would be too slow. I think this guy should have been named "Fluff", the way he pads out his content. I got the joke(s) 5 minutes ago. SO. MUCH. FILLER. :sleep:

P.S. 2024 2025. He's still dancing. Is he paid by the minute?

P.P.S. OK, the rest of this video is actually quite good.

Last edited:
I feel the same way, that's why I never got a Kemper.

I know they're great pieces of kit and work well for many guitarists, both amateur and professional, but I never had enough amps that I thought buying one to profile them was something I needed.

I could see how it would be really helpful if you had a professional recording studio or if when gigging you could just load your profiles onto a flash drive and that's all you had to take to the gig but I'm really not in either scenario.
Same here. I feel it's kind of like 3rd party presets for any modeler - if you need to use 3rd party profiles then it's a chore to find what works for you. You rely on someone else's idea of what is good. Meanwhile if you know your real amps, then usually working a component modeler to your liking works out well. Or you can consult Yek's fantastic guide on Fractal models or something.

I can totally get why someone like e.g Guitarjon is excited about it. Dude's got a wall of amps to capture and then use conveniently. Sure, an Axe-Fx will do a ton of amps too, but they are not going to be his favorite amps.

Yep - I'd much rather have all the tools in front of me to make all the decisions myself, rather than rely on someone else's vision of "how it should be". We all play differently anyway.

Generally agree for my own use. Captures/Profiles are really handy to get back or catalogue a particular sound. As far as making something from scratch, I much prefer something I can dial in from scratch.

The same is true of basically any preset on any device, I’d just always rather fine tune as much as possible. This goes for IR’s (reverb and cabs) as well as stripped down versions of plugins. Others find tons of use with presets and simplified layouts that’s are 80-85% of the way there, so there’s definitely value in it for some.

Sitting in front of a list of hundreds of unconnected profiles and IR’s hoping you land on what you need really gets in the way of my creativity - I think there are more inspiring ways to work.

@JiveTurkey, Not sure I understood, what part of playing a capture blocks you from recording? That you can't tweak the tone like you could in a Fractal Device for example? Or just finding a suitable tone?

@JiveTurkey, Not sure I understood, what part of playing a capture blocks you from recording? That you can't tweak the tone like you could in a Fractal Device for example? Or just finding a suitable tone?
Nothing. If we're being honest :bag Related or not; anytime I am in the middle of profiler-ville; I NEVER get anything recorded ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This product came out at about the worst possible time for me, very little time for guitar for a few months and what time I do have for it is focused on gigs and prepping for gigs, no time to experiment with new gear.

Been watching others experience from a distance to see what I want to do when I finally have some time to experiment. I was particularly interested in what the hard to please crowd like JT would think about it after some time.

The big question I’ve been trying to answer is what would I really gain from it? I’m happy with what I can achieve with Helix for direct sounds and I don’t have an amp around that makes a sound that I can’t reproduce well enough with Helix for live stuff.

Maybe there’s not enough to gain here for me to spend the time on it…. I have a feeling I might end up finding a few interesting profiles I like, dialing in something similar on Helix, and finding no real reason to keep the profiler around. I’ve got a pile of cool outboard gear here that has already met a similar fate…

D

This product came out at about the worst possible time for me, very little time for guitar for a few months and what time I do have for it is focused on gigs and prepping for gigs, no time to experiment with new gear.

Been watching others experience from a distance to see what I want to do when I finally have some time to experiment. I was particularly interested in what the hard to please crowd like JT would think about it after some time.

The big question I’ve been trying to answer is what would I really gain from it? I’m happy with what I can achieve with Helix for direct sounds and I don’t have an amp around that makes a sound that I can’t reproduce well enough with Helix for live stuff.

Maybe there’s not enough to gain here for me to spend the time on it…. I have a feeling I might end up finding a few interesting profiles I like, dialing in something similar on Helix, and finding no real reason to keep the profiler around. I’ve got a pile of cool outboard gear here that has already met a similar fate…

D
One thing I'll also note.

My Badlander captures and go to amps on every modeler i own sound the same

:bag

:puppet

:oops::oops::oops::oops:
:sofa

This is pretty similar for me. No matter what I start with (fender, vox, Marshall, mesa), where I end up is just different levels of gain and very similar feel and eq. The sonic differences between my rigs are pretty subtle. My ears and hands just gravitate towards a pretty particular thing.

Which is why I think this would probably be just another means to pretty much the same end and I might be better off spending my time on other things. I’m letting you guys be my crash test dummies.

Kamala Harris Thank You GIF by The Democrats

D

Back