Boss ME-90 Multi-Fx

No, all I was ever saying is, that apart from manual mode, the MS 90 is as far away from being WYSIWYG as anything else.
I agree 110%!
In the past I got the ME-80. Its concept was appealing. Many knobs, WYSIWYG, so that it could be quick and intuitive in the rehearsal room to adjust anything. But after short time, I was disappointed a lot by my choice. Not only about the sound (that was not so good) but the concept of its design AND PRESETS in the end was much (much) less practical than what I expected or hoped for.
Later I got the Helix, and that has been a fantastic choice. Its UI and touch-sensitive footswitches were the real breakthrough. Quick access to the effect parameters that I need to adjust, and presets with immediate feedback of what I need to see and change in case.

Later I got the Helix, and that has been a fantastic choice. Its UI and touch-sensitive footswitches were the real breakthrough.

I would agree (even if there's quite some UI related things that could be pretty much improved in the HX-universe.
But once used as a programmable unit, at least the full scale Helixes are more WYSIWYG from a users POV than most other devices. And at least a lot more than the ME 90 (unless you run it in manual mode only).

That’s where my enthusiasm for this as a rainy day device died.

It's AIRD, right? That's supposed to be quite good.

But yeah, if you expect generic multi-fx features, this is not the product for you methinks.

Last edited:
Leo Gibson with a ME-90 vs. NUX Trident shootout.

Gotta say, unless you really need that expression pedal, the Trident looks like a much better value IMHO. I also found it to sound quite better as well.

Leo Gibson with a ME-90 vs. NUX Trident shootout.

Gotta say, unless you really need that expression pedal, the Trident looks like a much better value IMHO. I also found it to sound quite better as well.

Love Leo. I gotta check this one out

Things I've read at YT and other places are still a bit confusing on this. As well as Boss' idiotic output select mode implementation.

Yeah, this may kill my desire for one. (I won't but) the fact that I can't use my CabDryVR after it, like I did with ME-80, G5n, Pod Go, and I do with GX100, is a bit insane.

I don't get it, isn't it as simple as switching it to "amp out", to get rid of the speaker simulation?

I don't get it, isn't it as simple as switching it to "amp out", to get rid of the speaker simulation?
I thought it was that? From all I can murkily determine; either cab emulation or output select mode is always engaged on the outputs, even when using in 4CM. It's honestly insane. @Moe45673 can you clarify? Maybe I am wrong?

The Gt. Amp mode is designed for 4CM with an amp. (Only uses preamp modeling, is how I read it)

The Line Out mode engages cab sim automatically. So, you couldn’t run it to a clean poweramp (PS100 for ex.) into a cab.

That’s the best of my understanding, it’s not entirely clear.

From what I am seeing here and on the Voldemort forum, All the switch seems to do is enable the output modes. What the output modes seem to do is attempt to turn whatever amplification method (eg 1x12 tube amp fx return) into an "FRFR" through fancy EQ. So if set to "Line out" or whatever, the output modes are bypassed and the flat signal is passed. If set to GTR Amp, the EQ is engaged. In neither case is the IR/Cab shut off (and you can't shut it off in ToneStudio).

I don't know if this is a design feature or a bug. But I think this is what everyone is saying.

So I guess if you turn the preamp off to run it straight into a clean guitar amp, the Boss IR is still engaged?

Ew.

Back