Boss ME-90 Multi-Fx

Line out = cab sim auto engaged

The rest of it…

maths GIF

Pewterschmitt is a great dude.

But output select is the dumbest fucking thing ever. This should be dead simple and not require manual reading to figure out. Boss (barely reworked non-X-series from COSM) turds are absolutely dreadful. So some stupid impedance/load curves measured 20 years ago are a joke and should be stricken from this pile of junk and all other GT/GX turds.

Got it! Got to go through it for a while. Only played into my Scarlett interface using headphones (DT-990 Open backs)

1st, the negatives

1) Compared to the ME-80, it doesn't feel as robust. But the ME-80 was a tank. The ME-90 should be plenty durable
2) Compared to the GX-100, it doesn't say "See You" when you shut it off. Damn that's cold, baby.
3) Some of the OD/DS don't feel like they can get very loud? To be fair, I only tried on X-Crunch

Positives
1) The thing sounds awesome. I played straight in, no IR loading, no external IR thing. Really good sound.
2) All the effects sound excellent. Super easy to get a great sound
3) In manual mode, the thing remembers if you changed the final model option to something else in BTS. So you can set it and forget it. But don't forget it.
Corollary to 3 - A bit of WYSIWYG goes out the window if you change the final model to something else. For example, I changed the final delay option to "Glitch". I love it, it's fun. But I have to switch to +Reverb to access it. (Likewise, I changed the final amp to "Transparent", just in case. However, most of the defaults I left)​
4) As of right now, it's definitely awesome grab and go. I may use it with my Catalyst 60 and use the XLR out on that to go direct.
I am loving it. I love the direct access to knobs. I loved that on the ME-80 too, but that one felt like there were very few good sounding things on there. With the ME-90, I can play the Ring-Mod into the Core OD into the transparent amp and it sounds good. Huzzah!

Addition:
I figured out how to easily change IRs on the unit (actually, I figured out how to change IRs. Boss designed it that It's stupid easy to do so, can be done on a whim on the fly when the mood strikes spontaneously). Since I didn't load any IRs, they effectively remove the cab sim. I plugged it into my CabDryVR pedal, it sounded fantastic. I then switched back to default AIRD cab.... also fantastic (maybe slightly less so). I then changed to guitar amp 4X12 FX Return (since the CabDryVR setting I like is a 4X12).... and used the built in AIRD cab with my CabDryVR...... serviceable.

This thing is very well designed. The only issue I can't comment on is how it sounds in a band mix and if you can get that oomph of moving air in such a setting. But other than that, This thing is so cool.

Another Addition:
On the ME-90 for FX2, they added a "Mode" knob.
1691298672967.png

I know FX2 had 4 knobs on the ME-80 but I couldn't remember what the "Mode" knob did (other than adjust Bass in EQ model). Well......

1691298744790.png

turns out it did nothing other than adjust bass in eq model.

So, I wasn't expecting some of the amp models to be THIS good but I have to admit that the ME-90 really surprised me! I think that for people on a budget this thing is absolutely stellar! Here's a showcase of some tones and the presets are on tone central as well:

I had an ME-90 for a day and now own a NUX Trident. The Trident's first firmware version has some issues (to say the least) but it still sounds light years better than the ME-90 right out of the box. If NUX does a couple of FW updates like they did with the MG-30, the Trident will be right up there with the big boys.

Last edited:
It's not so you don't have to worry about it!

I concur. I spent a couple weeks with a G6 (same thing less switches etc) and it was probably the worst sounding modeler I have ever used. I mean that even going back to my Zoom 505II. the Fender GT amps are a close 2nd and I never thought I could get worse than that.

I would probably love the ME-90 but I am not sure I want to find out. I think I'd more than likely go for the Trident instead if I wanted a backup. This Marshall I have coming has mods, delays, and reverbs so I'm gona see how tweakable those are before I shop for a backup for the greatest modeler in the universe...The Headrush MX5

The Best GIF

Back