BOSS Katana MKIII

on that booster slot, each color can be a different effect, doesn't have to be booster, you can put mods or compressors or EQs in there. same with mod slot, it's really versatile
Right... the options are endless... I think with easier access to using iphone/ipad (not sure on Android??) - instead of needing a hard connection via USB is massive feature. Sure they had the Air and such and there were other ways to connect wirelessly, but this is a factory setup that is much more welcoming IMO.

Honeslty I think this may push the modeler companies to offer wireless editor access. If not, it certainly should.

Right... the options are endless... I think with easier access to using iphone/ipad (not sure on Android??) - instead of needing a hard connection via USB is massive feature. Sure they had the Air and such and there were other ways to connect wirelessly, but this is a factory setup that is much more welcoming IMO.

Honeslty I think this may push the modeler companies to offer wireless editor access. If not, it certainly should.
Wireless editing should be a standard feature going forward.

Agree 100%!!!

And much more so than touch screens on a floor unit.
Agreed. Although, if I can't have wireless editing on my device or laptop, I'd rather have an easy, onboard, preferably touch screen UI on the unit itself, than a crappy UI and a great, wired editor.

The Brown Variation on my Mk2 sounds scary close to my 50W Stealth's Blue channel preamp. Checked by running the Stealth's preamp into the Katana's power amp and A/Bing. My son and I couldn't tell which one we were switching from after a small bit of high cut from the Katana's Parametric EQ post preamp.

same with the brown variation high cut, even with presence off its crazy bright. I settled on a few db cut of top two bands of the graphic set amp-in to compensate, I couldn't get amp-out eq high cuts to sit right for me

gen 3 really nailed the preamp breakup, with a few input eq tweaks brown is feeling like a whole ass Road King modern, with that parallel-buzz that rides the top of notes, I played on it for about 6 hours yesterday laughing. not bad for 25 lbs $300.

gen 3 katana amps have me gassing hard for GT-1000 successor, or update. when you can turn down resonance and get a lot of top end back without touching treble or presence, the gears are definitely turning together in there in the right ways

same with the brown variation high cut, even with presence off its crazy bright. I settled on a few db cut of top two bands of the graphic set amp-in to compensate, I couldn't get amp-out eq high cuts to sit right for me
The presence on my 5150 is usually 0-3, way too bright for me. I set it higher on the Brown Variation but im running through a Creamback. When I had the stock Katana speaker in there I wanted to turn the presence knob down and then break it off

The presence on my 5150 is usually 0-3, way too bright for me. I set it higher on the Brown Variation but im running through a Creamback. When I had the stock Katana speaker in there I wanted to turn the presence knob down and then break it off

this 50g3 speaker is 4 ohms 70 watts, do solid state power amps take one-step impedance mismatch without issue?

this 50g3 speaker is 4 ohms 70 watts, do solid state power amps take one-step impedance mismatch without issue?
The specs for gen 3 head say 8 ohm output. I’m guessing the head and combo chassis and design of internals are the same…why retool to make a different version…so maybe the combo isn’t really 4 ohm only.
So would we find an unused 8 ohm ‘tap’ inside a combo chassis? Do solid state amps even have an equivalent of a ‘tap’? Or do you just plug an 8 ohm into it and the circuit can deal with it, simply changes its power output?

Does anyone know if the speaker simulation can be turned off for the line out, headphones, USB out? And if so is it selective per output path?
I’m thinking of the 100 watt head as a partial replacement for a power amp I’m selling so the other functions it has could make it handy when I’m in the mood for some Katana sauce…

Gen3 -50. 300$
Grn3 50ex. 349$
Gen3 100 head. 369$
Gen3 100 1-12 combo 399$
Gen3 100 2-12 combo 499$
Gen 3 artist head 559$

don't forget, if you add the $60 bluetooth dongle it negates having the extra hardware control on the panel

the 50 base has contour/cabres/globalEQ/ resonance/presence, and infinite presets, just from within the app. the only thing you can't get at w/the app is an fx loop, line out, or whatever tf "bloom" actually is.

Reactions: LCW
Does anyone know if the speaker simulation can be turned off for the line out, headphones, USB out? And if so is it selective per output path?
I’m thinking of the 100 watt head as a partial replacement for a power amp I’m selling so the other functions it has could make it handy when I’m in the mood for some Katana sauce…
Only speaking from experience with my 100w Mk2 combo, switching on the Stereo Expand turns off cab simulation for the Line Output. Sorry, I don't use the headphones jack or the USB interface.

don't forget, if you add the $60 bluetooth dongle it negates having the extra hardware control on the panel

the 50 base has contour/cabres/globalEQ/ resonance/presence, and infinite presets, just from within the app. the only thing you can't get at w/the app is an fx loop, line out, or whatever tf "bloom" actually is.
Do any have built in dongle thing? Why they left that out of any of the amps is weird in 2024

Do any have built in dongle thing? Why they left that out of any of the amps is weird in 2024

no none of them come with it, at 299 it's a 4 channel with full wired edit access, they needed to keep the cheap one under that price point. only reason most others have bluetooth is cause most others don't even have knobs, no other way to use it without the app

Back