BOSS Katana MKIII

I'm not sure if this is what you're thinking, but I don't think you'll be able to stick a preamp into the poweramp of one and use the stereo expand into the other amp to get full stereo capabilities. I haven't tried it but I think that's only for the internal Katana effects? If you want stereo I think you'd just send two cables from discrete left and right outputs to either power amp inputs of the two amps.
Yea I was thinking a mono preamp into the one Katana would then get a stereo delay from the linking of the two. I’ve been trying to convince myself I don’t need stereo but here I am again trying make an excuse to go there lol

Yea I was thinking a mono preamp into the one Katana would then get a stereo delay from the linking of the two
But where's that delay coming from? If from the Katana, you'll need to feed the preamp into the effects return to be able to access the Katana's onboard effects, and then the stereo expand would work for the second amp whether that be a Katana or not. Plugging anything into the power amp input disables the Katana's onboard modeling/FX

But where's that delay coming from? If from the Katana, you'll need to feed the preamp into the effects return to be able to access the Katana's onboard effects, and then the stereo expand would work for the second amp whether that be a Katana or not. Plugging anything into the power amp input disables the Katana's onboard modeling/FX
No Way What GIF by Kyle Gordon

stock gen 3 sounds so good, I'm gonna swap in the waza speaker from the artist. how long till the GT-1000 sees these amps??

FYI you can put whatever effects you want in the mod and fx slots, I got three different compressors on the mod knob, and a post-amp 630hz pEQ variable cut on the fx knob

stock gen 3 sounds so good, I'm gonna swap in the waza speaker from the artist. how long till the GT-1000 sees these amps??

FYI you can put whatever effects you want in the mod and fx slots, I got three different compressors on the mod knob, and a post-amp 630hz pEQ variable cut on the fx knob
Do you know what the “variation” amps are based on? I searched but couldn’t find. Boss isn’t saying in the reference guide or owner manual like do for the regular amp voices (crunch, lead, brown, etc).

Do you know what the “variation” amps are based on? I searched but couldn’t find. Boss isn’t saying in the reference guide or owner manual like do for the regular amp voices (crunch, lead, brown, etc).

all I know is "light on" means bright as a mf, distortion doesn't seem to be so much different (it is a little bit but not as much different as THR modern/classic/boutique variations differ), "variation" seems more to be like brighter tone stack

Reactions: LCW
all I know is "light on" means bright as a mf, distortion doesn't seem to be so much different (it is a little bit but not as much different as THR modern/classic/boutique variations differ), "variation" seems more to be like brighter tone stack
That’s so weird because I notice more a change in gain than brightness lol. Noticing a bit of a mid shift on some but each amp doesn’t seem to get the exact same change in voicing.

I’m playing with an Explorer loaded with Gibson’s “70s tribute” pickups which are quite hot (15K bridge, 16.5k neck) and mid-rangey and on the dark side as well.

BOSS doesn’t claim that any of their amp models are based on anything, though with some of them you can tell what they were aiming for. Smart on their part, it keeps them off the radar for the “which one is more realer” arguments.

BOSS doesn’t claim that any of their amp models are based on anything, though with some of them you can tell what they were aiming for. Smart on their part, it keeps them off the radar for the “which one is more realer” arguments.
Right I get what you’re saying. But they can still be described as British crunch, American clean, agressive cocked-wah high gain, etc…

You bring up a good point though - sometimes it’s better to not really know and just go by “which sounds best to me in this moment”… leads to (at least for me) less tweaking and OCD and just enjoying it for the playing.

It’s been so fun getting reacquainted with a Katana. I don’t even really know what boosts and modulation and reverbs, I just cycle through the green/red/orange until I like it lol. Haven’t even plugged it into boss tone studio yet.

I’m also kinda glad I have the basic 50. Less features means again (for me) less tweaking and more playing.

The Brown Variation on my Mk2 sounds scary close to my 50W Stealth's Blue channel preamp. Checked by running the Stealth's preamp into the Katana's power amp and A/Bing. My son and I couldn't tell which one we were switching from after a small bit of high cut from the Katana's Parametric EQ post preamp.

Back