Anybody wanna spend $3700 on a Pacifica?!?

Yamaha deserves a bit of decent publicity. They have been putting out quality affordable models for years. The USA pacificas used to have Warmoth built necks and high end hardware.
Yamaha has never known how to market. They haven't had any real big name guitarist endorsers since Carlos Santana and Allan Holdsworth. By comparison their basses have more big name endorsers.

I remember back in the early 2000s if you read something like Guitar World or Guitarist, you'd have a one page ad for Yamaha guitars that was mostly just black with maybe a classy picture of a guitar in the center and a few lines of text. Kind of like advertising for a fine wine or watch or something.

Then on the next page you had a Line6 Spider ad that was so offensive to the senses that you could not ignore it.

On top of that they somehow seem really bad at getting their higher end guitars into stores. I only know Yamahas well because in Helsinki we had a store in a central location that stocked most of their gear so over the years I got to try a lot of it. It's the store where I bought my Yamaha DG80 combo back in the day. That store branch has unfortunately closed now so you can't just pop in.

When I was in Japan on one of my trips, I even went to Yamaha's own store and that had a good selection of their acoustic guitars, pianos, synths, brass instruments etc, but the electric guitars were just lower end Pacificas. In other stores I think I have seen a couple of Pacifica 611s after wading through the jungle of Fenders and Gibsons.

Screenshot 2024-01-26 at 14.23.48.png

BTW nowhere on their site or on the guitar do they say that the 2200 Plus is MIJ!

Of course it is...it literally is the same type of guitar.

By that token, you could never buy any Fender. Let alone a Gibson. Or any other guitar costing you more than 400 bucks.
Apart from that, HB guitars don't come with (excellent) Gotoh vibratos. They don't have stainless steel frets, either. And you usually need to exchange the pickups. In addition, their only HSS model features 24 frets.
Calling that the same type of guitar is quite ambitious in my book.

And while I wouldn't pay the price for a professional, I think the price for the Standard Plus is quite ok. You can hardly find any guitars with stainless steel frets in that price range, same goes for the Gotoh, etc.

Last edited:
By that token, you could never buy any Fender. Let alone a Gibson. Or any other guitar costing you more than 400 bucks.
Apart from that, HB guitars don't come with (excellent) Gotoh vibratos. They don't have stainless steel frets, either. And you usually need to exchange the pickups. In addition, their only HSS model features 24 frets.
Calling that the same type of guitar is quite ambitious in my book.

And while I wouldn't pay the price for a professional, I think the price for the Standard Plus is quite ok. You can hardly find any guitars with stainless steel frets in that price range, same goes for the Gotoh, etc.
Generalize much? i got one ...stainless steel frets, roasted neck, Wilkie type trem and didn't have to replace the pickups... After 20 off on sale 270 bucks and I use it as much as my high end stuff.

IMG_5254.jpeg

Last edited:
I had a Pacifica 1221 back in the day and it had the best Floyd version I've ever played on. String-through instead of having to cut off the ball ends. It had a cool neck joint. The neck was crazy thin-wide, though, so it was actually a bit uncomfortable to play on.

Generalize much?

No. And while I wasn't aware of the stainless steel frets (which obviously is great at that price tag), the rest of my comment is still valid.

And fwiw, I'm absolutely with you, HB guitars offer tremendous bang for the buck. Possibly the best around.
Still doesn't make the Standard Plus Pacifcas too expensive or whatever.

No. And while I wasn't aware of the stainless steel frets (which obviously is great at that price tag), the rest of my comment is still valid.

And fwiw, I'm absolutely with you, HB guitars offer tremendous bang for the buck. Possibly the best around.
Still doesn't make the Standard Plus Pacifcas too expensive or whatever.
Too expensive is a personal decision. When i used my early 90s MIJ Strat more than my Suhrs or Tylers i started looking at it different. Kinda like your Schecter and Anderson.

Personally a bolt on fort mid 2k from Ibanez or low 2 k from Yamaha...hard pass.

Here v they are 2600€ and for me that's a hard pass.
But i also ditched 5 Suhrs and 3 Tylers... That were all say three times cheaper than the Ibby now and fetched at least 30% more.
It has all gone to shit with prices in the last few years. What do you think is a pro guitar that you would consider worth today’s price?

I had a Pacifica 1221 back in the day and it had the best Floyd version I've ever played on. String-through instead of having to cut off the ball ends. It had a cool neck joint. The neck was crazy thin-wide, though, so it was actually a bit uncomfortable to play on.
Those trems were great - could just use the dial to deck it.

Back