An observation about the Helix LT I just bought and Line 6 in general

For a kind of rock-ish project I was in for a while, I used the 2204 Mod as my only amp. Didn't need completely clean tones on that gig, so I was fine with a dirty amp. Had to set the drive very low (usually around 1, sometimes even a bit lower with the Input Pad off), but that resulted in an extremely versatile sound. Pretty much working as a clean sound with the guitar volume turned a notch down and taking the Helix' internal dirt pedals extremely well, I usually used the Teemah for allround riffage and the Top Secret OD (unfortunately always along with an EQ, I wish they came up with a Top Secret OD+ or so...) for some slightly fuzzier goodness and then slapped a Kinky Boost in front for those "mooaaar" moments (and sometimes another Kinky Boost post-amp for even more mooaaar, apparently courtesy of Vernon Reid but I did similar things in my rack days already, as in "adding dirt after the main dirt").
To take that into lead territory, I used what I'm always using since decades (also started that in my rack and loopswitcher days), namely a pre-amp compressor (Vetta Comp from the legacy models, I wish there was a Diamond Compressor, using a clone on my board and it's better than the Vetta Comp...) for some more "meat" and a little boost, a post-amp EQ (final lead level and a little mid boost) and something spatial (sitting in path 2b so I was able to preselect between a bunch of things).
In case I don't need high headroom cleans (which I "unfortunately" often do), that single patch would be good to serve each and every gig.

Yeah I have at least half a dozen songs that I perform where I need crystal cleans.

Yeah I have at least half a dozen songs that I perform where I need crystal cleans.

I really only need completely clean sounds for jazzy-ish stuff, but with those sounds it's even more important that they stay clean even at the loudest soloing levels.
For my personal use case, I learned that it doesn't matter whether guitars that might be completely clean in whatever recordings, would have some dirt live. Ok, maybe some funky stuff is better served clean, but a little hair still doesn't really matter.

I'll try to do the Readers Digest version here. Maybe @Digital Igloo could chime in.

So...As you know I just bought a 2nd hand Helix LT. Before I sold my last LT I was on the current version of FW 3.60. THAT LT had the same issue as the one before it that I could never resolve no matter the FW version. Whether I built from scratch or imported etc etc. If I had a high gain amp and a clean amp (or even mid gain amp) on the same patch (paths didnt matter) and I switched amps, I got a loud volume jump. To or from didn't matter, snaps or just assigning to the same stomp switch didn't matter. Factory reset never cleared it. Always would do it. I threw my hands up and learned how to swipe my guitar volume whilst changing amps.

THIS LT does not do it at all. I can have the cleanest amp going to the highest gain amp or vice versa and it does not do it. I had been told that this was just an inherent issue that Line 6 never addressed. I don't think DI told me that BUT I did put in several tickets for it and it was never resolved. As an IT Professional who has spent half his life chasing down bugs and inventing workarounds, this is driving me up a wall. Sure I am happy that I got one that doesn't do it, but it makes me wonder if Line 6 is ever going to fix it for the folks that it DOES happen to? I mean if I am playing at gig volume, the volume jump is enough to make someone jump out of their skin.

All in all I love the brand but something like this I would hope gets addressed before they bin support for the HX products.
Line 6 is kinda like the Yugo of modeling

Line 6 is kinda like the Yugo of modeling

Frustrated King Of The Hill GIF

As someone who actually drove a Yugo, there's no emoji, gif, reaction or comment I can come up with that would illustrate just how wrong you are.
But, smarter people than me did a great job:

ok...i should have said its the hyundai/kia of modeling?
Fran Healy Wednesday GIF by Travis

Back