Volume management with Helix LT + Headrush FR108

molul

Roadie
I've been using my Helix LT on a Headrush FR108, with the LT volume at 100% (which I saw recommended somewhere) and the FR108 at around 4.5 on rehearsal space, and 6 on small venues.

Now I'm reading on another place that that's exactly the wrong approach, and that FR108 should be at 100% and I should manage volume from the LT, which sounds nuts to me, but I don't know what to believe anymore ^_^U

I'd say that if you don't have the source volume at 100%, when increasing the volume on the speaker, you're also increasing the noise volume (which is not desirable), but I'd like to hear from people here, as I'm totally clueless now.

if you don't have the source volume at 100%, when increasing the volume on the speaker, you're also increasing the noise
For the Helix, this is true because setting the Helix volume at 100% is unity gain, unless you are excessively boosting the level in any of the fx or output blocks.

Does a sound engineer control levels from a mixer or do they go to each individual speaker and set the volume there? :unsure:

Does a sound engineer control levels from a mixer or do they go to each individual speaker and set the volume there? :unsure:
Helix volume is like the channel input trim on the mixer, and the speaker volume plays the role of the channel fader on the mixer.

This results with the best SNR.

Helix volume is like the channel input trim on the mixer, and the speaker volume plays the role of the channel fader on the mixer.

This results with the best SNR.
Even if this is true and this way you reduce potential noise/hiss, it's much less practical, and noise shouldn't be a major problem with current monitors (even if I admit that my monitors are more expensive than the Headrush). I always use my own monitor adjusting its volume knob at 100% (unless it's really too much) and then I use the Helix big knob to adjust and fit the volume to the context.
I do the same with the other stage monitors (100% volume knob and then I adjust the mixer monitor outputs accordingly)

Even if this is true and this way you reduce potential noise/hiss, it's much less practical, and noise shouldn't be a major problem with current monitors (even if I admit that my monitors are more expensive than the Headrush). I always use my own monitor adjusting its volume knob at 100% (unless it's really too much) and then I use the Helix big knob to adjust and fit the volume to the context.
I do the same with the other stage monitors (100% volume knob and then I adjust the mixer monitor outputs accordingly)
To achieve the best signal to noise ratio, I set my Helix big knob at 100% and then adjust the monitor volume to set my MAX volume level for the situation. I then use the Helix knob to reduce overall output if needed

You do what works for you. Since the OP references amplified noise, I provided context for maximizing SNR.

:beer

Back