An observation about the Helix LT I just bought and Line 6 in general

Bob Zaod

Rock Star
I'll try to do the Readers Digest version here. Maybe @Digital Igloo could chime in.

So...As you know I just bought a 2nd hand Helix LT. Before I sold my last LT I was on the current version of FW 3.60. THAT LT had the same issue as the one before it that I could never resolve no matter the FW version. Whether I built from scratch or imported etc etc. If I had a high gain amp and a clean amp (or even mid gain amp) on the same patch (paths didnt matter) and I switched amps, I got a loud volume jump. To or from didn't matter, snaps or just assigning to the same stomp switch didn't matter. Factory reset never cleared it. Always would do it. I threw my hands up and learned how to swipe my guitar volume whilst changing amps.

THIS LT does not do it at all. I can have the cleanest amp going to the highest gain amp or vice versa and it does not do it. I had been told that this was just an inherent issue that Line 6 never addressed. I don't think DI told me that BUT I did put in several tickets for it and it was never resolved. As an IT Professional who has spent half his life chasing down bugs and inventing workarounds, this is driving me up a wall. Sure I am happy that I got one that doesn't do it, but it makes me wonder if Line 6 is ever going to fix it for the folks that it DOES happen to? I mean if I am playing at gig volume, the volume jump is enough to make someone jump out of their skin.

All in all I love the brand but something like this I would hope gets addressed before they bin support for the HX products.

I was asking to see what methodology you use to switch out. Series chain, one amp on, one off OR switching from one path to another. Seems like the parallel path would solve that problem?

I have tried them on different paths altogether and on say 1a and 1b (thought that was parallel) etc etc. Always did the same thing. Right now they are both on 2a and no issues at all switching. I tried purposely to make this LT do it and it wont. Even if I add a TS to the high gain amp.

Reactions: JT
Thing is my point is that this LT doesn't do it no matter the gain or volume delta between amps.
That's a good thing then, right? No matter which modeler I use; I tend to just stick to the same amp. Dirt pedal in front as needed and guitar volume (back when I used to have one)

I doubt either of these are the cause in this case, but a couple other things that can cause pops or volume jumps when switching snapshots if it helps anyone:

(1) If the preset is set to auto input impedance, and your snapshot change includes a bypass/activation of a new first block with a different impedance than the first, you will sometimes hear a brief click/pop from the impedance switching

(2) A compressor suddenly releasing (or one yet to compress) with high compression settings can cause short volume jumps when being bypassed or activated (really depends on how you have it and your chain set up)

A compressor suddenly releasing (or one yet to compress) with high compression settings can cause short volume jumps when being bypassed or activated (really depends on how you have it and your chain set up)

Thats a good catch. I used to always use a compressor first in the chain and I have NOT been doing that since I got this new to me LT. I am going to stick one in there with my favorite settings and see what happens.

Thats a good catch. I used to always use a compressor first in the chain and I have NOT been doing that since I got this new to me LT. I am going to stick one in there with my favorite settings and see what happens.

Nope. Couldnt reproduce it with a compressor first in the chain. No volume jumps at all.

Nope. Couldnt reproduce it with a compressor first in the chain. No volume jumps at all.
It’s most likely to happen with a compressor near the end of the chain. For example, say you have a clean snapshot and a high-gain snapshot, with a compressor at the end of both. Let’s also say the high gain snapshot is a lot louder than the clean one if the compressor is removed.

In this scenario, it’s possible to have the compressor set such that it makes the volume similar between both patches, because after the initial attack of the loud high-gain snapshot, the compressor squashes it back down.

If you don’t realize this is what’s happening, it can seem like a volume jump due to changing snapshots, but in reality it’s because one amp has a too-high output level, which is being leveled by the compressor after the initial attack.

The way to fix it is to bypass the compressor in both snaps, and then use the “channel volume” of the amp to get the output level of each snapshot roughly the same. Then re-enable the compressor.

Note: simply having way overly-compressed settings at the end of your chain with a long attack time can also cause this, even without snapshots.

It’s most likely to happen with a compressor near the end of the chain. For example, say you have a clean snapshot and a high-gain snapshot, with a compressor at the end of both. Let’s also say the high gain snapshot is a lot louder than the clean one if the compressor is removed.

In this scenario, it’s possible to have the compressor set such that it makes the volume similar between both patches, because after the initial attack of the loud high-gain snapshot, the compressor squashes it back down.

If you don’t realize this is what’s happening, it can seem like a volume jump due to changing snapshots, but in reality it’s because one amp has a too-high output level, which is being leveled by the compressor after the initial attack.

The way to fix it is to bypass the compressor in both snaps, and then use the “channel volume” of the amp to get the output level of each snapshot roughly the same. Then re-enable the compressor.

Note: simply having way overly-compressed settings at the end of your chain with a long attack time can also cause this, even without snapshots.
Yeah I only ever experimented here and there with a comp anywhere else other than first in chain. Luckily with this unit I dont have the problem. I was just curious as to why I had the problem with other units.

Back