Amp Modeler Tier Ranking

Vine Wtf GIF
Happy So Excited GIF by TikTok

On the GT-1000/Core, it's a clear step below the Helix or HX Stomp to me. There's like two stereo delays on the GT and I just counted 27 on the Helix. Probably 3-4 times as many amps and cabs on the Helix. 13 stereo reverbs (not counting legacy) on the Helix compared to about half that many on the GT. Drives sound significantly better on the Helix compared to GT. And Helix gets 2-3 major updates per year where the GT has had maybe one significant update since launch?

It's not even close.

On the GT-1000/Core, it's a clear step below the Helix or HX Stomp to me. There's like two stereo delays on the GT and I just counted 27 on the Helix. Probably 3-4 times as many amps and cabs on the Helix. 13 stereo reverbs (not counting legacy) on the Helix compared to about half that many on the GT. Drives sound significantly better on the Helix compared to GT. And Helix gets 2-3 major updates per year where the GT has had maybe one significant update since launch?

It's not even close.
I don't have a dog in the boss vs line 6 fight but one could argue quality over quantity. I'm not a fan of the helix effects, not compared to fractal. I'm speaking strictly modulation, reverb and delays

I don't have a dog in the boss vs line 6 fight but one could argue quality over quantity. I'm not a fan of the helix effects, not compared to fractal. I'm speaking strictly modulation, reverb and delays

Helix and Fractal are both really good, some effects better than others. Not sure if there’s anything on boss I put above others.

The Boss stereo delay is super basic digital with really bad modulation.

Kemper is different as there’s very few effects but tons of ways to edit them so you can get a big variety in tone.

Helix and Fractal are both really good, some effects better than others. Not sure if there’s anything on boss I put above others.

The Boss stereo delay is super basic digital with really bad modulation.

Kemper is different as there’s very few effects but tons of ways to edit them so you can get a big variety in tone.
Thanks. Like I said I can't speak for the Boss since it's been awhile but I do recall some positive aspects.
I could breakdown every device into 40 categories and it would be somewhat of a checkerboard of hits and misses. Right now if I take a DI track and run it through Native vs the fm9, the fm9 is my preferred method for anything outside of amps and ODs. For amps, I actually prefer all of the profilers over the modelers in terms of feel and sound but it's a crapshoot finding that golden profile. Between the modelers, the recent 2203 is an example of how the tides can change. The Brit800 Fractal model is my go to JCM sound but Line 6 made a top notch run for it. Then you have midi, I/O, maintenence and backups, device longevity, the UI and the ecosystem as a whole. I couldn't stand the cloud setup for the QC so off it went. The Kemper effects were fine but there wasn't enough freedom of putting them where I wanted. I have no experience with the TMP but I'm not a fan of the determined path templates as opposed to freely arranging blocks. Of course my opinion is only important to me. Everyone has their own list of what's most important to them.

Last edited:
Thanks. Like I

Thanks. Like I said I can't speak for the Boss since it's been awhile but I do recall some positive aspects.
I could breakdown every device into 40 categories and it would be somewhat of a checkerboard of hits and misses. Right now if I take a DI track and run it through Native vs the fm9, the fm9 is my preferred method for anything outside of amps and ODs. For amps, I actually prefer all of the profilers over the modelers in terms of feel and sound but it's a crapshoot finding that golden profile. Between the modelers, the recent 2203 is an example of how the tides can change. The Brit800 Fractal model is my go to JCM sound but Line 6 made a top notch run for it. Then you have midi, I/O, maintenence and backups, device longevity, the UI and the ecosystem as a whole. I couldn't stand the cloud setup for the QC so off it went. The Kemper effects were fine but there wasn't enough freedom of putting them where I wanted. I have no experience with the TMP but I'm not a fan of the determined path templates as opposed to freely arranging blocks. Of course my opinion is only important to me. Everyone has their own list of what's most important to them.

I’m right there with you! Friedman IRX into Axe FX3 is amazing.

I love my Stomp, and Helix stuff in general, but the GT1000 sounds and feels way better in 4cm with a tube amp, in my experience. All the HX units have this muffled, disconnected thing going on in 4cm, at least with my amp.

Channel switching also works perfectly with the GT and doesn't have an insane ground loop hum like HX.

Also, I'd say while Helix does pretty much trounce the GT in general, effects-wise, some of the GT's effects I actually like better, particularly phase. And GT drives are great for boosting a dirty tube amp.

I love my Stomp, and Helix stuff in general, but the GT1000 sounds and feels way better in 4cm with a tube amp, in my experience. All the HX units have this muffled, disconnected thing going on in 4cm, at least with my amp.

Channel switching also works perfectly with the GT and doesn't have an insane ground loop hum like HX.
I struggled with noise with Fractal for 4cm and found going out of the tonex into the Fractal directly sounded way better. It's always something

I struggled with noise with Fractal for 4cm and found going out of the tonex into the Fractal directly sounded way better. It's always something

Yes, I loved the FM9 in 4cm, but I did have to buy a Hum Exterminator thing to kill a nasty ground loop hum.

Also, I'd say while Helix does pretty much trounce the GT in general, effects-wise, some of the GT's effects I actually like better, particularly phase. And GT drives are great for boosting a dirty tube amp.
The HX phasers have always bothered me. Some of L6’s old previous gen phaser models I honestly think sound and feel a bit better. I love phaser and can never seem to find what I’m looking for in Helix. I think in general a lot of the analog modulations are so-so. No chewiness at all.

The HX phasers have always bothered me. Some of L6’s old previous gen phaser models I honestly think sound and feel a bit better. I love phaser and can never seem to find what I’m looking for in Helix. I think in general a lot of the analog modulations are so-so. No chewiness at all.

Yes! I actually prefer the Legacy phase over the newer script one, and even that one is not very satisfying.

Yes! I actually prefer the Legacy phase over the newer script one, and even that one is not very satisfying.
Odd thing is that when I had an mxr phase 90 pedal I plugged it into the helix floor loop it sounded identical to the block so I assumed it was something in the helix that was modifying the sound. Outside of the Helix it had way more magic.

Back