Adventures in Fractal's Dual Rectifiers

Why did so many Cats go into the studio with multiple variations of the same Amp Model to
try and find "the one?" And then add in different Cabs, how we are micing them, and with what
Mics? :idk

It's all really a lot of variables, and kind of makes exactness and precision a flawed outlook from
the jump. Mostly. :LOL:
I think there's two facets to that:

Accurate models of individual elements and their interactions, which create accurate distortion texture, etc. are still very important. Without that, the amp models don't sound like any amp, and this is where Fractal excels IMO.

The arguably less-important part is the exact value of those individual elements, which (as we've seen here) can vary even within the same model of amp.

But, the fact that tweaking a few of those values got the Axe-FX to sound darn near indistinguishable from MP's real amp shows how accurate the underlying algorithms are in the Axe-Fx. Without listening to them first and knowing which was which, I'd never be able to tell you which one was the real amp in those last samples he posted.

I just tweaked my own FM3 and A/Bing it with your NAM capture, and I'll tell you - I'm extremely hardpressed to hear a difference. I left the advanced params untouched except for the master cap and very slight sub cut on the GEQ. Not my playing - IK sample

I just tweaked my own FM3 and A/Bing it with your NAM capture, and I'll tell you - I'm extremely hardpressed to hear a difference. I left the advanced params untouched except for the master cap and very slight sub cut on the GEQ. Not my playing - IK sample

sounds close to me! What MV and MV bright cap settings did you land on?

This thread had me thinking about the Axe Rectos.

Fired it up a few days ago and was having a similar experience to the OP.

Today I gave it another shot and have to say adjusting the SIC parameters and speaker compression really opened it up for my preference.

Rectos are one of the worst at being inconsistent. I have/had many and they were all different to varying degrees. Even the two Tremoverb combos I had were like two completely different amps.

It could be as simple as someone installing random power tubes without considering bias.

sounds close to me! What MV and MV bright cap settings did you land on?

18 pF on the cap, and I did zero the extra speaker settings also

1702333656853.png

This thread had me thinking about the Axe Rectos.

Fired it up a few days ago and was having a similar experience to the OP.

Today I gave it another shot and have to say adjusting the SIC parameters and speaker compression really opened it up for my preference.

Rectos are one of the worst at being inconsistent. I have/had many and they were all different to varying degrees. Even the two Tremoverb combos I had were like two completely different amps.

It could be as simple as someone installing random power tubes without considering bias.
What kind of SIC adjustments did you make? I only ever use the Recto Large SIC with Recto 2 Red Moden.

Back