Adventures in Fractal's Dual Rectifiers

There's your answer. Some Rectos had 150K pots, most had 1M. With a 150K pot (yours is slightly out of tolerance at 190K) you get a LOT less bass out of the tone stack.

Here's a graph of the difference between a 1M and 150K MV pot:

View attachment 15604

Blue trace is 150K pot.
8907fx.jpg

There's your answer. Some Rectos had 150K pots, most had 1M. With a 150K pot (yours is slightly out of tolerance at 190K) you get a LOT less bass out of the tone stack.

Here's a graph of the difference between a 1M and 150K MV pot:

View attachment 15604

Blue trace is 150K pot.
Definitely checks out with my experience of this amp vs later recto’s where they get very bassy quickly and you have to keep the bass down low to avoid the flub. I often use this without a boost and it’s absolutely fine.

Interestingly both Orange and Red master volume pots read the same value - either they’ve drifted the same amount or Mesa found 2 that had somewhat similar values when building it.

While it was out the box again, got a few more photos:

output transformer code 562 105 EIA 606 516:

1702325413294.jpeg

Power transformer (hard to read because the engraving is very light and the dust obscures it a lot). Think the code is EIA 606 422

1702325539985.jpeg

Older style outputs:

1702325690752.jpeg

attached power cable/parallel loop:

1702325732463.jpeg
Transformer codes line up exactly to this (at least from what I can make out). Can just about see 6114 on my power transformer

IMG_5663.png

Last edited:
So if I've been reading this thread correctly, it seems like the models in the Fractal are accurate compared to the amps they have on hand and any discrepancies are due to pot tolerances and different pot values depending on the revision?

Do I have that correct? If so, seems like "Why your amp doesn't sound like our amp" all over again.

Just remeasured and verified.

Red channel

Gain=240k
Bass=1M Ω (I think)
Mid=23k
Treble=214k
Presence=100k
Master=190k (same for orange channel master)
Global Master=240k

Probably a stupid question as I've not poked around much inside of tube amps, but is there anything else in circuit with the pots that would invalidate a reading unless you disconnect them first?

So if I've been reading this thread correctly, it seems like the models in the Fractal are accurate compared to the amps they have on hand and any discrepancies are due to pot tolerances and different pot values depending on the revision?

Do I have that correct? If so, seems like "Why your amp doesn't sound like our amp" all over again.
Essentially yes, besides Cliff’s amp having a different taper pot to what the model has.

But the point of the thread wasn’t so much “why doesn’t my amp sound like the Fractal model”, it was more a dive into how to best tweak the advanced parameters to get them sounding similar. Can’t speak for others, but I’ve certainly learned a lot, both about Rectifiers and Fractals modelling so I think it’s been pretty worthwhile.

I think that might be a little uncharitable given how interesting some of this has been. But yes.. more or less. :rofl

I'm just teasing you. I'm a clean freak. Except for the dirt on my car, dirt is the glue that holds it together
the amps that stink get the most cleaning attention. My 1992 Mesa OS cab still has a bit of a smell that won’t budge. I had a Peavey Triple XXX that I probably wouldn’t have sold if it didn’t smell like a kebab shop.

Yup, there is no THE Amp. It's all very deep and dripping with Zen. :LOL:

Essentially yes, besides Cliff’s amp having a different taper pot to what the model has.

But the point of the thread wasn’t so much “why doesn’t my amp sound like the Fractal model”, it was more a dive into how to best tweak the advanced parameters to get them sounding similar. Can’t speak for others, but I’ve certainly learned a lot, both about Rectifiers and Fractals modelling so I think it’s been pretty worthwhile.

Why did so many Cats go into the studio with multiple variations of the same Amp Model to
try and find "the one?" And then add in different Cabs, how we are micing them, and with what
Mics? :idk

It's all really a lot of variables, and kind of makes exactness and precision a flawed outlook from
the jump. Mostly. :LOL:

Back