2024 Do Something Challenge - Season One - Week Two

There's a documentary out there about how the highest selling VH songs use a formula.. consisting of a main verse and body of the song written to where the chord changes will only correspond with the white keys on a keyboard.. then, the chorus will use a progression that could only be played on the black keys.
Being a giant VH nerd/ Ed head, I've never heard of this.
I know someone mentioned that the 1st four albums are all tuned to Eb, so if someone randomly tried to play them on a keyboard they'd be confuzzled.

I'm guessing it might be alluding to many VH songs not simply being a I, IV, V progression.

Even Jump, (on keys) starts on a root V, inverted I, IV to V, back to inverted I. (I used to laugh because Panama's opening riff is almost the exact same rhythm and concept) and the guitar solo, goes to a flat VII (which would be a black key if you were playing Jump in C)

Why Can't This Be Love's bridge does a similar thing as Jump.

Right Now (in d minor, the saddest of all keys) does use a VI, VII, I progression in the chorus, which does equate Bb, C, d. (So you do have a black key in there technically) while the verse is Ed vamping arpeggiations over d, C, & Bb (I think, if I remember correctly)

On the contrary, Ain't Talkin Bout Love is just Ab & Gb over and over again.

Being a giant VH nerd/ Ed head, I've never heard of this.
I know someone mentioned that the 1st four albums are all tuned to Eb, so if someone randomly tried to play them on a keyboard they'd be confuzzled.

I'm guessing it might be alluding to many VH songs not simply being a I, IV, V progression.

Even Jump, (on keys) starts on a root V, inverted I, IV to V, back to inverted I. (I used to laugh because Panama's opening riff is almost the exact same rhythm and concept) and the guitar solo, goes to a flat VII (which would be a black key if you were playing Jump in C)

Why Can't This Be Love's bridge does a similar thing as Jump.

Right Now (in d minor, the saddest of all keys) does use a VI, VII, I progression in the chorus, which does equate Bb, C, d. (So you do have a black key in there technically) while the verse is Ed vamping arpeggiations over d, C, & Bb (I think, if I remember correctly)

On the contrary, Ain't Talkin Bout Love is just Ab & Gb over and over again.

Not a fan of this mix, which I think is due to the guitar tones, which is due to using my '94 RG470 without taking time to dial in 4 solid tones for it. But, Im too lazy to go back and redo the song with another guitar and or the RG after dialing in another tone or two, so it is what it is.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

Not a fan of this mix, which I think is due to the guitar tones, which is due to using my '94 RG470 without taking time to dial in 4 solid tones for it. But, Im too lazy to go back and redo the song with another guitar and or the RG after dialing in another tone or two, so it is what it is.

For some reason the forum software won't let me embed this... sigh...

I was diggin' on this tune, and Audius stopped playing it. I started it over, and I swear some of the parts were different. Did you just upload a new version? If not, I don't know WTF happened! Good stuff, I dig it!!!

I was diggin' on this tune, and Audius stopped playing it. I started it over, and I swear some of the parts were different. Did you just upload a new version? If not, I don't know WTF happened! Good stuff, I dig it!!!
Glad ya dig it. No, only uploaded the one. If the parts changed for the better maybe you heard @Alex Kenivel’s entry. :ROFLMAO:

Glad ya dig it. No, only uploaded the one. If the parts changed for the better maybe you heard @Alex Kenivel’s entry. :ROFLMAO:
Just listened to Alex's and wow, going to comment on that next. On yours, I was all set to comment on the break at about 0:50 and when it stopped playing, I went back to that point in the song and I swear it changed. Hmmmm, gremlins in the Audius!

I'm counting this as my submission this week even though it was already written a while back, I just wanted to hold off on it until I could mix it better. Now I'm re-recording all the guitars. There's a ton of synths in this that aren't turned up in this. I can't play a lot of it tight enough to record, so I'm practicing the shit out of it before I do. It's a long one and there's some stuff I'm cutting out of the final version, but barely anything repeats throughout the whole song.

(I'm coming out of the left channel in the vid)

Killer playin! Love those screeches first heard around 1:04, very cool effect IMO!!

A little different entry this time. First and only take, swamp blues vamp. Warts and all.
I cheated with the bass -- just duplicated the guitar and tuned down an octave and tweaked the tone. SD3 drums were better arranged post guitar take.

Back