2024 Do Something Challenge - Season One - Week Two

Not sure which thing you mean? But it's funny you mentioned VH, I was going to incorporate that kind of tap run he used to do. For example, frets 5, 9 left hand and then tapping 12th fret -- running from high E string all the way to low E. It's a cool thing because it changes key on the G and D strings while still being an efficient and easier technique with the hands. And it sounds cool! But I committed to the octave fuzz sound which doesn't lend itself so well with tapping imo.
There's a documentary out there about how the highest selling VH songs use a formula.. consisting of a main verse and body of the song written to where the chord changes will only correspond with the white keys on a keyboard.. then, the chorus will use a progression that could only be played on the black keys.

There's a documentary out there about how the highest selling VH songs use a formula.. consisting of a main verse and body of the song written to where the chord changes will only correspond with the white keys on a keyboard.. then, the chorus will use a progression that could only be played on the black keys.
Hmmm, haven't heard about that. But I've not really analyzed too many VH songs to be honest, at least from a playing/learning perspective.

Hmmm, haven't heard about that. But I've not really analyzed too many VH songs to be honest, at least from a playing/learning perspective.
I have, and the thing I realized some time ago is that Ed will start off with a chord progression that could have easily been written by "the Kinks", or the Dave Clark Five.. then switches to a "Circus March".. employing 'leaps', 'runs' and 'fanfares' to resolve his ideas.

With his guitar and the bass tuned to Eb it seems to me that theory is off from the jump. :idk

Something I started working on this weekend. Still need vocals and some editing. Ran it a little longer just in case I want to cut some parts. But pretty much, this is what it will mainly sound like.
What I used:
EZDrummer3
BC RIch Kerry King Warlock Tuned D#
Ibanez e605 Bass Tuned A# (finger style)
HX Stomp (bass & guitar settings)
Focusrite 2i2
Reaper DAW

Something I started working on this weekend. Still need vocals and some editing. Ran it a little longer just in case I want to cut some parts. But pretty much, this is what it will mainly sound like.
What I used:
EZDrummer3
Focusrite 2i2
Reaper DAW

Love the texture the bass line give it, @LiveeviL2000. Keep em coming!

I'm running out of ways to tell you I love your work... and that says something in itself. Not sure what though since I ran out of words...

What I used:
EZDrummer3
Focusrite 2i2
Reaper DAW

Can't wait to hear the vocal parts! (y) :grin

Last edited:
Cool riffage btw. What you using for your lead tone?
I run my guitar into an SLO preamp I built with some help from Todd Wilcox, then into a passive loop in my JCM-800, into a reactive load/line out into my audio interface & DAW.

I like the Celestion Greenback speaker IR's, so I tend to use those a lot for the single-note stuff.

Usually run that into a bus channel with IK Multimedia Sunset Sound Reverb, Eventide H-949

;)

I run my guitar into an SLO preamp I built with some help from Todd Wilcox, then into a passive loop in my JCM-800, into a reactive load/line out into my audio interface & DAW.

I like the Celestion Greenback speaker IR's, so I tend to use those a lot for the single-note stuff.

Usually run that into a bus channel with IK Multimedia Sunset Sound Reverb, Eventide H-949

;)
Very cool. It has a nice saturated edge to it. I've been thinking about my next amp project and pondered a standalone preamp. A SLO style could be fun. :unsure:

I like GB IR's too, use them in Helix Native. Although the WhoWatt100 cab has been getting a lot of use lately and sometimes I'll also blend that with GB's, or the tweed 4x10 in helix.

Reactions: PLX
Very cool. It has a nice saturated edge to it. I've been thinking about my next amp project and pondered a standalone preamp. A SLO style could be fun. :unsure:

I like GB IR's too, use them in Helix Native. Although the WhoWatt100 cab has been getting a lot of use lately and sometimes I'll also blend that with GB's, or the tweed 4x10 in helix.
Todd schooled me on building the preamps and using a stable platform (like my JCM-800) as the power amp.

Faster, cheaper, easier to try new things, as opposed to building an entire amp every time.

Before the SLO, he helped me find the schematics and build "teh Snorkler".. the mythical Bogner preamp Cantrell used on "Dirt".

naOfyRe.jpg

Todd schooled me on building the preamps and using a stable platform (like my JCM-800) as the power amp.

Faster, cheaper, easier to try new things, as opposed to building an entire amp every time.

Before the SLO, he helped me find the schematics and build "teh Snorkler".. the mythical Bogner preamp Cantrell used on "Dirt".

naOfyRe.jpg
I just searched your thread about it. Read the last post...
:hmm

• 100%
Reactions: PLX
I'm counting this as my submission this week even though it was already written a while back, I just wanted to hold off on it until I could mix it better. Now I'm re-recording all the guitars. There's a ton of synths in this that aren't turned up in this. I can't play a lot of it tight enough to record, so I'm practicing the shit out of it before I do. It's a long one and there's some stuff I'm cutting out of the final version, but barely anything repeats throughout the whole song.

(I'm coming out of the left channel in the vid)

I'm counting this as my submission this week even though it was already written a while back, I just wanted to hold off on it until I could mix it better. Now I'm re-recording all the guitars. There's a ton of synths in this that aren't turned up in this. I can't play a lot of it tight enough to record, so I'm practicing the shit out of it before I do. It's a long one and there's some stuff I'm cutting out of the final version, but barely anything repeats throughout the whole song.

(I'm coming out of the left channel in the vid)

“Not tight enough yet to record” proceeds to drop some shit thats super tight.

Season 3 Nbc GIF by The Office

Sick song dude. :satan

“Not tight enough yet to record” proceeds to drop some shit thats super tight.

Season 3 Nbc GIF by The Office

Sick song dude. :satan

TBF; from 2:45 on that whole section was from one of my band’s songs in the 00’s and I’ve probably played it in every possible state of mind/health/impairment for 20 years now. It all makes more sense with vocals on it.

It’s this section from 1:55 on. This was the night I wrote about in the Battle Of the Bands thread where we got the promoter wasted, played to no one and still came in 2nd.

Back