“Based on”?

Gotta say that I find it to be weird that this is bases on legal issues. When I sample something, it's absolutely fine to reveal all the details of what was sampled how (including the real names of any piece of equipment). An IR is pretty much the same as a sample.

I mean, you can't include the mic name in the name of your product, but you can definitely use a Trademark in marketing material, as long as it is describing the trademarked item and not the product being sold, or otherwise being used in a way to make it seem like the item being sold might be a product or authorized product of the mic-maker..
Exactly. Whether using the trademark in this case would run afoul of trademark laws is debatable but given how expensive lawyers are producers err on the side of caution.

Exactly. Whether using the trademark in this case would run afoul of trademark laws is debatable but given how expensive lawyers are producers err on the side of caution.
I think it's pretty clearly weeeeeeeell outside the scope of you use a simple statement about what mic is used to capture the IR (certainly doesn't seem any worse than "based on" language) and for those that want to be very careful, include only the name of the mic, not the brand - 121, SM7, etc., No Shure, Royer, AKG, etc.

You can't use a trademark in marketing material without permission.
You can, OTOH, disclose all the equipment you used to make and process a recording, and it doesn't matter whether or not that disclosure is made in "marketing material," it's a simple fact. Do you really think it's against the law to name the model of spectrum analyzer you use to acquire IRs or impedance data?

It's far more complicated than that but that's the gist of it.
As far back as the 1970s, I've purchased records (and later, CDs) that listed the equipment that was used to make them, including specific models of microphones. Liner notes qualify as "marketing material," and I'll wager nobody ever got sued over those disclosures.

The only reason you'd need to use "based on" to name a device is if you're offering a synthesized replica of its behavior. If you actually used the device to make a recording, you really are allowed to tell everyone. You can also legally tell us what kind of cables, connectors, preamps, A/D, DAW program, etc., etc., you used.

Example: a vendor of profiles for the kpa uses a Shure SM57 to acquire a profile of a Fender Deluxe Reverb and plays a Fender Strat during the profile refinement process. Disclosure of those descriptive facts would not constitute trademark infringement, any more than saying, "resort guests were transported in a Mercedes van" would.

You can, OTOH, disclose all the equipment you used to make and process a recording, and it doesn't matter whether or not that disclosure is made in "marketing material," it's a simple fact. Do you really think it's against the law to name the model of spectrum analyzer you use to acquire IRs or impedance data?

As far back as the 1970s, I've purchased records (and later, CDs) that listed the equipment that was used to make them, including specific models of microphones. Liner notes qualify as "marketing material," and I'll wager nobody ever got sued over those disclosures.

The only reason you'd need to use "based on" to name a device is if you're offering a synthesized replica of its behavior. If you actually used the device to make a recording, you really are allowed to tell everyone. You can also legally tell us what kind of cables, connectors, preamps, A/D, DAW program, etc., etc., you used.

Example: a vendor of profiles for the kpa uses a Shure SM57 to acquire a profile of a Fender Deluxe Reverb and plays a Fender Strat during the profile refinement process. Disclosure of those descriptive facts would not constitute trademark infringement, any more than saying, "resort guests were transported in a Mercedes van" would.
While I agree with the gist of what you are saying here 10000%, it is also important to note that "I was using the mark to describe what I used to make an IR!" Isn't a blanket defense. If you do that in a way that starts to make it seem like you are creating a product that has the stamp of approval of the mark-holder, you could still run into trouble. Though you can do that with "inspired by" "based on", etc., just as easily as you can "captured using" language.

Haha! She'd rise from the dead and kill me. :LOL:

It's really a lot of work for a modern person (me!), to be honest.

The biggest secret is 3 meats. Veal, Pork, and Beef. And she would hand grind the meat herself with
one of these. In late Summer she'd also use it to make the Sauce with fresh Tomatoes from the Garden.

1000_F_173522617_c0cDBIt3Hb9A9nnd9MU5aq5t30WmJ9ll.jpg

They had a Farm when I was a child, so damn near everything was sourced from that, and that's hard
to replicate---hence the "based on" comment. All the Meat was from their Farm, as well as the Eggs,
and the Breadcrumbs were from Homemade Bread she would let harden and go a bit stale.

I was fortunate enough to inherit the Hand Grinder from her via my Mom. It works and I still use it. :chef

Letting the Sauce simmer for nearly the whole day and cooking the Meatballs in that Sauce on low
heat is essential.

I wish I would have paid attention a lot more than I did. I am sure there are secrets I missed.
Based on tomatoes and garlic :love:guiness:love

Haha! She'd rise from the dead and kill me. :LOL:

It's really a lot of work for a modern person (me!), to be honest.

The biggest secret is 3 meats. Veal, Pork, and Beef. And she would hand grind the meat herself with
one of these. In late Summer she'd also use it to make the Sauce with fresh Tomatoes from the Garden.

1000_F_173522617_c0cDBIt3Hb9A9nnd9MU5aq5t30WmJ9ll.jpg

They had a Farm when I was a child, so damn near everything was sourced from that, and that's hard
to replicate---hence the "based on" comment. All the Meat was from their Farm, as well as the Eggs,
and the Breadcrumbs were from Homemade Bread she would let harden and go a bit stale.

I was fortunate enough to inherit the Hand Grinder from her via my Mom. It works and I still use it. :chef

Letting the Sauce simmer for nearly the whole day and cooking the Meatballs in that Sauce on low
heat is essential.

I wish I would have paid attention a lot more than I did. I am sure there are secrets I missed.

That’s awesome, thanks for sharing!

It wasn’t a farm but my grandparents had fruit orchards and a big garden. I remember food made from things they grew was always the best :chef

But they were Scottish/Irish and born in America. So instead of family meatball/marinara recipes I have depression-era onion and potato soup recipes :rofl

My grandma was an amazing cook, but that was more in spite of old world family recipes than thanks to them

While I agree with the gist of what you are saying here 10000%, it is also important to note that "I was using the mark to describe what I used to make an IR!" Isn't a blanket defense.
Using a manufacturer's designated and publicly-disclosed part number to identify that part in a list of equipment used to capture IRs is pretty much a blanket defense. I'm not trying to sell you a microphone, and I'm not implying that the mic's manufacturer endorses my product, I'm simply identifying the mic I used. If the mic is a commercially-available product I purchased, rented, or borrowed, there's no legal constraint that prohibits me from publishing that information. In the past, I've gotten some pretty anal-retentive advice from risk-averse attorneys, but none of them ever went this far.

Hypothetically, let's say your information page on a set of IRs included the following list:

Power amp - Crown Macro Reference
Audio interface - MOTU M2 2x2
Acquisition Software - ARTA
Microphone - R-121
Mic Cabling - Mogami W2549 with Neutrik NC3-FXX and NC3-MXX connectors

There's no question that you are using the equipment exactly as the manufacturers intended and that there can be no prohibition on your disclosing that information.

If you do that in a way that starts to make it seem like you are creating a product that has the stamp of approval of the mark-holder, you could still run into trouble.
Of course. The above list could not possibly be construed as doing that, however.

Using a manufacturer's designated and publicly-disclosed part number to identify that part in a list of equipment used to capture IRs is pretty much a blanket defense. I'm not trying to sell you a microphone, and I'm not implying that the mic's manufacturer endorses my product, I'm simply identifying the mic I used. If the mic is a commercially-available product I purchased, rented, or borrowed, there's no legal constraint that prohibits me from publishing that information. In the past, I've gotten some pretty anal-retentive advice from risk-averse attorneys, but none of them ever went this far.

Hypothetically, let's say your information page on a set of IRs included the following list:

Power amp - Crown Macro Reference
Audio interface - MOTU M2 2x2
Acquisition Software - ARTA
Microphone - R-121
Mic Cabling - Mogami W2549 with Neutrik NC3-FXX and NC3-MXX connectors

There's no question that you are using the equipment exactly as the manufacturers intended and that there can be no prohibition on your disclosing that information.

Of course. The above list could not possibly be construed as doing that, however.
You gave an actual fact pattern. I agree with your assertions regarding this fact pattern. None of that changes the validity of what I wrote above, however.

So that’s 4 meats, surely?

Veal, Pork, Beef and Hand.

I was in a decent hospital stay once… Had various different dudes in the room to chat with as folks came and went.

One old retired pugilist turned butcher was in there ‘cuz his meat hook hand got into the grinder.

Interesting guy.

Based on that… I try to keep my mitts out of the bite.

I was in a decent hospital stay once… Had various different dudes in the room to chat with as folks came and went.

One old retired pugilist turned butcher was in there ‘cuz his meat hook hand got into the grinder.

Interesting guy.

Based on that… I try to keep my mitts out of the bite.

It's not that hard.... especially when your other hand is the only thing turning the grinder
and making it .... uhmmmm.... grind. :LOL:

Mechanical grinders? Different story.

Back