“Based on”?

metropolis_4

Shredder
I’m curious, in York Audio and some other IR producers I see they say the mics are “Based on” a microphone (eg: “906 - Based on a Sennheiser e906”).

Does that mean the IRS are all created using a single reference mic and then some sort of virtual mic filter is added post to create the effect of a specific mic?

Not going for anything negative here, I’m 100% in the “good sound is good sound” camp and I don’t care what produces it. I’ve just always been curious about this part of IRs

We use three variations of a theme:
  • "Based on"—Modeled as accurately to the original as possible. Used for amps and effects
  • "Inspired by"—For whatever reason, we decided to improve upon the original or do something a bit different. Used mainly for effects
  • "Captured from"—Directly recorded and captured as an IR. Used for 3.50+ cabs

I think it is for legal reasons.
The BS meter just exploded.

What does the manufacturer of a microphone expect you to do with their product once you own it? (Hint: it's OK with them if you use it to make a recording.)

Why would a mic manufacturer object to your disclosure that you used one of their models to make a recording? (Hint: they wouldn't.)

What could a mic manufacturer possibly do to prevent, discourage, or punish said disclosure? (Hint: your choice of microphones to use in a recording is not the legally-protected IP of the mic manufacturers.)

What is an impulse response represented as a wav file? (Hint: it comes from a recording of a signal and possibly some postprocessing.)

Get it yet?

They use the actual mics.
Of course they do.

That makes sense, I could see that being it

You can’t just drop that and not share the recipe :hmm

Haha! She'd rise from the dead and kill me. :LOL:

It's really a lot of work for a modern person (me!), to be honest.

The biggest secret is 3 meats. Veal, Pork, and Beef. And she would hand grind the meat herself with
one of these. In late Summer she'd also use it to make the Sauce with fresh Tomatoes from the Garden.

1000_F_173522617_c0cDBIt3Hb9A9nnd9MU5aq5t30WmJ9ll.jpg

They had a Farm when I was a child, so damn near everything was sourced from that, and that's hard
to replicate---hence the "based on" comment. All the Meat was from their Farm, as well as the Eggs,
and the Breadcrumbs were from Homemade Bread she would let harden and go a bit stale.

I was fortunate enough to inherit the Hand Grinder from her via my Mom. It works and I still use it. :chef

Letting the Sauce simmer for nearly the whole day and cooking the Meatballs in that Sauce on low
heat is essential.

I wish I would have paid attention a lot more than I did. I am sure there are secrets I missed.

Haha! She'd rise from the dead and kill me. :LOL:

It's really a lot of work for a modern person (me!), to be honest.

The biggest secret is 3 meats. Veal, Pork, and Beef. And she would hand grind the meat herself with
one of these. In late Summer she'd also use it to make the Sauce with fresh Tomatoes from the Garden.

1000_F_173522617_c0cDBIt3Hb9A9nnd9MU5aq5t30WmJ9ll.jpg

They had a Farm when I was a child, so damn near everything was sourced from that, and that's hard
to replicate---hence the "based on" comment. All the Meat was from their Farm, as well as the Eggs,
and the Breadcrumbs were from Homemade Bread she would let harden and go a bit stale.

I was fortunate enough to inherit the Hand Grinder from her via my Mom. It works and I still use it. :chef

Letting the Sauce simmer for nearly the whole day and cooking the Meatballs in that Sauce on low
heat is essential.

I wish I would have paid attention a lot more than I did. I am sure there are secrets I missed.
Being Italian also, I still make the sauce and meatballs as she did
always 3 meats, mixed with bread crumbs romano & parmesan cheese spices, basil and oregano
egg and milk then roll em up nice and big
the sauce: tomatoes passed in a hand mill, oil garlic basil and oregano slow cooked and simmered all day

The BS meter just exploded.

What does the manufacturer of a microphone expect you to do with their product once you own it? (Hint: it's OK with them if you use it to make a recording.)

Why would a mic manufacturer object to your disclosure that you used one of their models to make a recording? (Hint: they wouldn't.)

What could a mic manufacturer possibly do to prevent, discourage, or punish said disclosure? (Hint: your choice of microphones to use in a recording is not the legally-protected IP of the mic manufacturers.)

What is an impulse response represented as a wav file? (Hint: it comes from a recording of a signal and possibly some postprocessing.)

Get it yet?

Of course they do.
Oh, Jay. You have such a "way" with words. Now c'mere and give your pal Swirly a big ol' hug. (Hint: it'll be ok!)

winnie the pooh hug GIF

always 3 meats, mixed with bread crumbs romano & parmesan cheese spices, basil and oregano
the sauce: tomatoes passed in a hand mill, oil garlic basil and oregano slow cooked and simmered all day

Oh, that is so awesome. :love

It is an all day affair. Totally worth it if you have the time. :chef

Dinner at Stone's place everyone!!! I'll bring the Chianti!

It's for legal reasons. You can't use a trademark in marketing material without permission. It's far more complicated than that but that's the gist of it.
I mean, you can't include the mic name in the name of your product, but you can definitely use a Trademark in marketing material, as long as it is describing the trademarked item and not the product being sold, or otherwise being used in a way to make it seem like the item being sold might be a product or authorized product of the mic-maker..

On first blush, of course there is no way that somebody would confuse purchasing an IR with purchasing a microphone. But there is a reason lawyers always answer with "it really depends on the facts at issue.". Consider the following.

"these IRs were captured using an SM57 microphone."

"these IRs were captured using a Shure SM57 microphone".

"These IRs were captured using a Shure SM57 microphone to get that classic sound of the 57 mic."

"These IRs were captured using a Shure SM57 microphone to get that classic Shure sound. Nothing sounds like an authentic Shure SM57, and these IRs absolutely have the authentic sound of a Shure SM57"

"The Shure SM57 is a classic microphone, with a classic sound that everyone can recognize immediately as the sound of Shure. The sound of Shure is the sound of Rock-n-Roll, and no imitations will do. These IRs are based on the classic Shure SM57 and deliver that pure, authentic, unmistakable Shure SM57 sound. Get the sound of Rock n Roll with these IRs"

Back