Will this be an improvement over Katana Power Amp In? (PA option for FM9)

TubeStack

Shredder
Looking at this as a power amp option for my FM9:

ISP Stealth Pro

I'm currently using the Power Amp In on my Katana 100 MkII with a Mesa 2x12 (LS or Recto). It sounds really good, but I'm wanting to hear this setup with a better power amp that could maybe somehow hold a candle to the 90W Simul-Class power amp in my Electra Dyne.

None of the Seymour PS amps are available in Canada right now and a Fryette PS100 is more than I'm willing to spend on this experiment, for now.

Do you think this ISP would be a step up from the Katana PA?

It's almost 2x the power and supposedly Class A/B as well (although an ISP guy on a video I found describes it as “between a Class G and H,” if I'm remembering correctly…)

The Katana sounds good, but after about 20 min starts to sound abrasive and fatiguing, and nowhere near as huge and 3D as my Dyne…

No. Laptop power supply and odd form factor and just seems like it's underpowered. Never used one but I'm making an educated guess :bag :rofl

I believe @JerEvil has had one?

Haha, I saw you commenting on the power supply somewhere else, JT. Was waiting for that.

I don't really care about that, or the form factor. It seems good for my use. Just wondering about the sound quality.

180W into 8 ohm seems pretty good, power-wise, no?

The SD 170 and 200 are less into 8 ohm, like almost half 170/200, and my Mesa cabs are all 8 ohm…

Haha, I saw you commenting on the power supply somewhere else, JT. Was waiting for that.

I don't really care about that, or the form factor. It seems good for my use. Just wondering about the sound quality.
I'm nothing if not predictable :bag :rofl if there was a spot you could buy and then return; that would obviously be ideal :unsure:

I'm nothing if not predictable :bag :rofl if there was a spot you could buy and then return; that would obviously be ideal :unsure:

There is, actually. I've just grown to hate buying/returning and have developed a paranoia I'll be put on some ”problem customer” list… :rofl

@TubeStack Didn't we have this conversation a while ago? i.e. if it's not in Canada, just order from thomann.de ?

Yes, but I need an easy return situation. ie. lazy, no shipping needed… :grin

Also, I don't love any of the SD options and this one actually seems better suited for me with the 8 ohm thing, as well as being cheaper.

Have you tried Long & McWait? :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl
Half Baked Boo GIF

:rofl

Looking at this as a power amp option for my FM9:

ISP Stealth Pro

I'm currently using the Power Amp In on my Katana 100 MkII with a Mesa 2x12 (LS or Recto). It sounds really good, but I'm wanting to hear this setup with a better power amp that could maybe somehow hold a candle to the 90W Simul-Class power amp in my Electra Dyne.

None of the Seymour PS amps are available in Canada right now and a Fryette PS100 is more than I'm willing to spend on this experiment, for now.

Do you think this ISP would be a step up from the Katana PA?

It's almost 2x the power and supposedly Class A/B as well (although an ISP guy on a video I found describes it as “between a Class G and H,” if I'm remembering correctly…)

The Katana sounds good, but after about 20 min starts to sound abrasive and fatiguing, and nowhere near as huge and 3D as my Dyne…
May I interest you in checking out Quilter PAs?

One in action with an FM9 in a video in the link above.

Bill Leverty from Firehouse uses the ISP as part of his backline rig, too.

1672646444065.png

One in action with an FM9 in a video in the link above.

Thanks, sounds pretty good there (and that's the smaller, lower-powered version), although hard to know what's FOH.

The 200 has been in/out of stock for past couple months, the 700 has an “in stock by ______” date that keeps getting extended.

180W into 8 ohm seems pretty good, power-wise, no?

The SD 170 and 200 are less into 8 ohm, like almost half 170/200, and my Mesa cabs are all 8 ohm…

Looking at the ISP website, it seems like 180W is an exaggerated/max rating. More like 140W constant.

Which should be fine. I'm just trying to find a SS equivalent of the 90W Simul-Class power of my Mesa Electra Dyne, in terms of bigness and depth of sound + headroom, and much of what I've read says you need a much higher SS wattage rating than a tube one to get that.

What has me more concerned though, is the talk about how “The STEALTH™ is based on analog class A/B amplifier design for excellent sonic and saturated clipping performance…”

That sounds like it's more intended for use with a preamp, as a power amp that will overdrive and mix with preamp gain, like a tube power section, rather than big, clean power for a modeler?

Back