Cheap light tube amp as modeller power amp?

That said, our band gigs only in theaters and good venues, and we're not a loud band (a Mike Oldfield tribute band). We only need our gear to be loud enough for monitoring purposes (without losing some cranked up tone, but nothing crazy). Maybe this gear wouldn't be enough in more loud genres or environments.
In my mind wether 15/20 is enough…is very dependent on the amount of noise your band produces. I Ussually play with civilized drummers, no rock/chugga…..9/10 I’m good with 15w..also carrying the room.
Ussually I take 2 small amps for a stereo rig..that maybe could also be something to consider…besides stereo…the advantage is you carry 2 manageable units, and you only carry them when you think you need it.

The only reason I own a 60w amp…is for outside gigs with big PAs blasting big squares btw…which I hardly ever do.

Here’s my line up…stJames not in the picture…gives me options.
Lightest would be the stJames, lightest stereo rig stJames + champ.
Fav probably the 2 supersonics…loudest the supersonic 60 + the st James.

IMG_0579.jpeg

In my mind wether 15/20 is enough…is very dependent on the amount of noise your band produces. I Ussually play with civilized drummers, no rock/chugga…..9/10 I’m good with 15w..also carrying the room.
Ussually I take 2 small amps for a stereo rig..that maybe could also be something to consider…besides stereo…the advantage is you carry 2 manageable units, and you only carry them when you think you need it.

The only reason I own a 60w amp…is for outside gigs with big PAs blasting big squares btw…which I hardly ever do.

Here’s my line up…stJames not in the picture…gives me options.
Lightest would be the stJames, lightest stereo rig stJames + champ.
Fav probably the 2 supersonics…loudest the supersonic 60 + the st James.

View attachment 25250
What a rig, mate. Lovely gear there.

Also, two Luminites! Been considering getting the M2 for an experimental rig with a Raspberry Pi running NAM. Only concerned about my big foot and 65 mm switch spacing. In the past, I went for a wide spaced G-Lab GSC2 and immediately felt the relax gained when stomping.

What a rig, mate. Lovely gear there.

Also, two Luminites! Been considering getting the M2 for an experimental rig with a Raspberry Pi running NAM. Only concerned about my big foot and 65 mm switch spacing. In the past, I went for a wide spaced G-Lab GSC2 and immediately felt the relax gained when stomping.
Thnx…if it sounds crappy…it’s not the gear ;)
At home I’m always very content. At the gig there are so many variables…so not 10/10…but there’s so much control…there’s always a perspective of how to fix it ;)

Yeah…the m1 is there to see if I’m gonna make use of the Xy/EC controllers, and it pairs wireless with the M2. (Cable is charger of the powerbank during the pic). if not, I might replace that with a Bluetooth midi dongle.
The M2 offers some extra control…I got my QC in hybrid mode..I can access all I need…(I use 1 preset, 4 scenes and 4 stomps)….the M2 switches to a scene + a stomp for solo boost for example, and fixed levels for delay mix (which is also under the expression pedal). So the M2 is “extra” when I need fast switching, keeping the essential of what I need on the QC board.

Currently wrapping my mind around a 2nd satellite board with a POG and an h90, just for some very explicit sounds…maybe a tonex one so I can use that stand alone also..but also as an addition to the QC..and backup..currently the QC is a single point of failure. 1st world problems for 2 low key gigs a month ;)

Have you tried something like a Boss Katana 50 or Catalyst 60? One of those small lighter weight combos might work if you're just after monitoring on stage. You could also get something like a fold up dolly/cart and bungee cords for transportation.

Have you tried something like a Boss Katana 50 or Catalyst 60? One of those small lighter weight combos might work if you're just after monitoring on stage. You could also get something like a fold up dolly/cart and bungee cords for transportation.
I thought about that, yeah. Tried something "similar" with a borrowed Vox VX50KB. It has 50W and it's more or less flat (it's intended for keyboards). It weighs 4kg (incredible) and while it's loud, I had to take care of gain because it was set fairly hi to be loud enough, and three clipping light was on quite often. And even so... There was something lacking. Comparing it to my "FRFR", it was less convenient on the floor, since I had to tilt it in order to point the sound towards my head. Not easy to tilt that thing... It was uncomfortable, so didn't repeat. Took my "FRFR" instead to the next gig.

Not the same as the katana or the catalyst, though, since they have a 12" speaker. But I don't trust too much in the range of 50W in solid state tech. The Vox showed me that, even when it can be enough for my case, it's dangerously on the limit.

Besides, those 2 are near 12 kg. Would not benefit a lot from my Boogie. They're interesting, though.

I recently did this for my Helix because I felt I was spending too much time tweaking amp models, trying impulse responses and playing around with bias, high cuts, low cuts and everything else that you can get sucked into.

So to get around it I bought myself a Supro Keeley Custom 12. It's a very simple tube amp 112 combo with bass, treble, volume, and master volume. No reverb, no tremolo, no multi-channel switching or anything else that makes it more complex or weighs it down. Just a very simple 25 watt class A tube amp with a Creamback in it.

Honestly, I'm so happy, it's made my life so much simpler. Everything just sounds good and it's effortless to make it sound 'right', because it is what I've been trying to emulate. I spent some time tone matching it with the Supro in the Helix, the 112 Creamback cab and an EQ, and I got quite close but there's something in the real amp that's just livelier, more dynamic, and naturally fuller. My FRFRs, which are very good, just sound anemic by comparison.

Plus it's only 18 kilos and the master volume makes overall volume very manageable. So now I'm thinking about selling my two "FRFR" wedge monitors and using the money to fund a second Supro Keeley Custom 12. That way I can continue to run full stereo and have all the benefits of tube pre-amps, tube power-amps, and real guitar speakers. I also have the aesthetics of real tube amps with nice tolex and grillcloth which means something to me too.

If that's how you're feeling, save yourself the trouble, a good pedal platform amp is almost as flexible as a real modeler anyway. Best of luck with this and I hope you find what you're looking for.

Last edited:
Eventually, everyone using full range monitors with their guitar will figure this out.

The best speaker for guitar tone is a speaker designed to reproduce guitar tone.

Go figure.....

I can get a great clean tone, especially the big 80's style with tons of stereo effects, through studio monitors. Getting a great high gain tone seems a lot trickier. Any EQ issues are amplified, especially in the high and low end.

Side note... Both the Peavey 20 micro head and the Boogie are loud as hell when cranked. 20W in tube power are really loud.
True dat.

When I was with an ABB trib band some years ago I used a Marshall DSL40C 1x12 combo amp, it could be run in either 20W or 40W power mode, and I found 20 watts was more than loud enough. The guys used to complain I was way too loud at 40W.

I also have a Marshall Origin 50 head I used a lot at outdoor gigs before I purchased my PS-100 and Quilter TB202, I would run it at half power setting (20W?) and it was loud, even at an outdoor venue.

Does anyone tried or know the DV Mark powered cab 112-60? I´ve read good things about it... loud and light (8.6 kg), while being an actual guitar cab/speaker.

Back