Will this be an improvement over Katana Power Amp In? (PA option for FM9)

That sounds like it's more intended for use with a preamp, as a power amp that will overdrive and mix with preamp gain, like a tube power section, rather than big, clean power for a modeler?
I wouldn't read too much into that. All guitar SS power amps make claims like that.

One in action with an FM9 in a video in the link above.

Bill Leverty from Firehouse uses the ISP as part of his backline rig, too.

View attachment 3442
If it's good enough for Bill it's good enough, I saw him last spring and his tone was/is/always has been killer. Great guitarist too.

Looking at the ISP website, it seems like 180W is an exaggerated/max rating. More like 140W constant.
Maybe I was wrong about this. Just noticed the writeup says “will deliver a TRUE 180 watts RMS continuous output power into an 8 ohm speaker cabinet…”

However, this is what threw me off:

• Output Power Bridged: 8Ω=140WRMS@1% THD / 175WRMS@10%
16Ω=80WRMS@1% THD/ 106WRMS@ 10%

Anywyay, I think I may finally bite the bullet and order one of these. Will at least be good to try it and give my obsessive/questioning brain a break. :grin

• 100%
Reactions: JT
Maybe I was wrong about this. Just noticed the writeup says “will deliver a TRUE 180 watts RMS continuous output power into an 8 ohm speaker cabinet…”

However, this is what threw me off:

• Output Power Bridged: 8Ω=140WRMS@1% THD / 175WRMS@10%
16Ω=80WRMS@1% THD/ 106WRMS@ 10%

Anywyay, I think I may finally bite the bullet and order one of these. Will at least be good to try it and give my obsessive/questioning brain a break. :grin
Report back when you do!

Report back when you do!

Ok, the deed is done. Ordered it. Will report back.

Salute GIF

Got the shipping info and it's out for delivery today. :banana Long & McWait's webstore can actually be super fast, in my experience. Faster than when ordering from the individual stores

Not the sexiest gear purchase ever, but I am looking forward to trying it tonight. :rawk

I'm back on the PVH 6160 Block Crunch model and really liking it. I may even try and gig this setup next month, we'll see.

Report back when you do!

Okay had a great time with the ISP Stealth Pro last night. :rawk :headbang :banana

FM9 - PVH 6160 Block Crunch > ISP SP in bridged 180W mode - 8ohm > Mesa Lone Star 2x12, followed by Recto Horizontal 2x12

Some first impressions:

- overall I love it and am super happy

- at first it seemed a bit boring/flat compared to Katana PAI, however after playing for a bit and adjusting, I figure it's probably more neutral/accurate

- made me realize the Katana has hyped low end and spiky highs

- seemed to sound/feel better when turned up to noon and level brought down on FM9

- has a lot of volume on tap, definitely enough to gig with and seems like enough for loud rehearsals in a big room, but we'll see

- the power supply is outright comical, such a strange design but I guess it's part of how it gets 180W Class A/B out of such an overall small package?

- describing the power supply as "laptop style" is true overall, however it's WAY bigger and heavier than any laptop power supply I've ever seen; it's nearly as big as the 9" x 4" SP itself and seems about 3-4x heavier, no joke

- PS is also an awkward length overall, because while it reaches nicely to the top of a 2x12 with the heavy box part (highly technical term) on the floor, I think with a 4x12 the box part will either be hanging in the air, or the whole thing will need an extension cord to reach the ground, though I could be wrong (4x12 is at rehearsal space, will hopefully check later this week); also that means it would be sitting on top of the 4x12, not great either; I may just 2U rack the whole thing

- if you accept/reject gear solely on the nature of the power supply ( @JiveTurkey ), this one would likely be enough to wreck it, it is truly weird and awkward

- HOWEVER, if you don't care, like me, and want a VERY lightweight power amp option that is Class A/B and has a ton of power on tap, the Stealth Pro is definitely something to try

Had some more time with the ISP SP last night. I really like this little beast. It sounds amazing and has a huge amount of power, and even looks cool sitting on the cab. :) It looks like an amp you'd have in a car for a subwoofer or something. Power supply is super clunky but the actual unit is pretty sleek and light as a feather (1.2 lbs). One annoying thing is the power supply plug does not go all the way into the jack on the SP, it sits with about 3-4 mm sticking out, which always makes me feel the need to give it a little push to check it. But definitely prefer it overall as a PA option over the Katana 100.

Now I'm not sure if I'll keep the Katana, although it's still nice to have around as a backup, especially because it can function as a backup for everything: as a PA if the ISP SP goes down, and as a full amp + effects in place of either the FM9 or my Electra Dyne head if one or both of them go down (not likely, but you never know).

I did A/B between the FM9 + SP and Electra Dyne, and while the FM9 + SP is VERY impressive and sounds really good, and is certainly enjoyable and usable, it still does not sound/feel as good as the Electra Dyne. Yes, it's a different amp model - although one that's remarkably similar to the Dyne (PVH 6160 Block Crunch) - however even considering that, it just doesn't have the fullness of sound, harmonic richness, or "3D" nature of the Dyne. That Mesa Simul-Class power amp and Dyne preamp is just a force of nature and truly a sound and playing experience to behold.

That being said, I could totally gig with the FM9 + SP and a Mesa cab and may just do that at the next gig. I'm also going to try it tonight with my Mesa Trad 4x12 at band practice (if Canadian weather cooperates here), although I will still be bringing my Dyne head as my (likely) main setup.

Saw this but hadn't circled back around. Thoughts will be forthcoming!

Hahahaha sorry man, power amps don’t really pop on my radar just because I’m content with what I’m using right now. Hahahah and I just gave Guitarjon a bunch of sh*t on another forum for saying the ToneX pedal was going to be a game changer.

Your conclusions are pretty much what I expected. Katana IS hyped AF and what gives it what people seem to like about it. That ISP power supply though; I don't think I could do that.

Hahahaha sorry man, power amps don’t really pop on my radar just because I’m content with what I’m using right now. Hahahah and I just gave Guitarjon a bunch of sh*t on another forum for saying the ToneX pedal was going to be a game changer.

I think the phrase is forever associated with you now, in my mind. :rofl

Your conclusions are pretty much what I expected. Katana IS hyped AF and what gives it what people seem to like about it. That ISP power supply though; I don't think I could do that.

Yeah, the power supply is really something, but again I guess it's how they're able to pull off the whole thing, which is kind of unique/remarkable?
(8 ohm, class A/B, huge power, small and light overall)

It could really alter recreational activities with rules. Although, it is a ten-year old product, so if it hasn't done that yet...

Anyway, kind of on the modeler + SS power amp and cab kick right now. It's interesting and sort of a fun challenge. It's also the happiest I've been with using a modeler. "FRFR" left me cold, even in stereo and with tons of power.

I will likely still try a PS700 and/or Matrix, if I see a deal on one, and maybe the PS100 for a tube option. Pretty happy with this one, though (and it's less than half the price of the 700).

(Something to keep me occupied until boredom sets in and I conclude, for the umpteenth time, "Yeah, still love my Electra Dyne more and it's not that hard to carry...." :brick)

Reactions: JT
Back