Who do you trust to re-fret a guitar with fretboard binding?

Desertdweller

Roadie
I have a couple Ibanez guitars that I’ve had for a decade or more that came with the standard frets on them. I play a lot and I’m seeing divots in the frets and want to see about upgrading both of them to SS frets. One of the guitars has a maple binding on the side of the fretboard that I’m concerned could be damaged in the re-fret process. I have no problem shipping both necks to a trusted luthier, I just don’t have a contact I know or trust to do the work.

Who would you recommend? Have you had this done by anyone? What was your experience?

Here is a Jescar 57110 stainless refret I did on my Soloist;
IMG_2022.jpg

And harder than that was a Jescar 58118 Stainless refret on an already scalloped Blackmore Strat.
IMG_1838.jpg

And the trio of horrible refrets a Steinberger with 57110 SS also;
IMG_2004.jpg

I am in the UK if that is any good .
Also no good tech would be happy to evaluate the job properly with only a neck.

@Eagle that’s a very good point and something I’m not aware of. I would have to find someone in the domestic US then if I’m shipping whole guitars.

I just got an SS refret back from Aperio Guitars, impeccable work.

He has like a 6 month waiting list. I went to him from recommendations from others, so . . .

Here is a Jescar 57110 stainless refret I did on my Soloist;
View attachment 4494
And harder than that was a Jescar 58118 Stainless refret on an already scalloped Blackmore Strat.
View attachment 4495
And the trio of horrible refrets a Steinberger with 57110 SS also;
View attachment 4496
I am in the UK if that is any good .
Also no good tech would be happy to evaluate the job properly with only a neck.

Look at that flawless job on the ebony. Dude who re-fretted my JEM took chunks out of the fingerboard and didn’t do sh*t to fill them in. Damn, great work, man!!!!

Do you just go as slow as possible and heat the frets with an iron for a little while longer with ebony fingerboards?

Look at that flawless job on the ebony. Dude who re-fretted my JEM took chunks out of the fingerboard and didn’t do sh*t to fill them in. Damn, great work, man!!!!

Do you just go as slow as possible and heat the frets with an iron for a little while longer with ebony fingerboards?
Thanks.
Not really more heat especially not with binding, just careful and a lot of experience over the years. You would not necessarily have a huge issue on any guitar that didn't have the frets super glued in. Then you do need heat PRS and Tyler use the most super glue in the slots. Both seem to backfill any space with glue.

Thanks.
Not really more heat especially not with binding, just careful and a lot of experience over the years. You would not necessarily have a huge issue on any guitar that didn't have the frets super glued in. Then you do need heat PRS and Tyler use the most super glue in the slots. Both seem to backfill any space with glue.

Hmmm, I shouldn’t be surprised as the dude who did mine just didn’t have the heart for it anymore.

Pete Skermetta in Austin, Tx.

He's done BOTH of my EBMM Silhouette Specials (SS frets & bone nut)....absolute perfection !

Back