NGTD - Where's all the supposed Gibson quality control issues I been hearing about?

Which is why I suggested that op change the title.

I've done my good deeds for the day...have a great day all!!!❤️👍
angry willy wonka GIF

😆

Yeah it got weird fast. I started it out as NGD and a vote of confidence for Gibson guitars and it went south. Oh well, I'll have to be more careful not to irritate any haters.
We’re usually pretty friendly around here, with some thick skinned ribbing happening every so often in good fun, but if you can’t look at your thread title and understand why the conversation drifted beyond just your new guitar…well…I don’t know how to help you.

Anyway. I’ve bought 2 brand new Gibsons over the last couple years, and both have fairly obvious finish flaws from the factory.

Don’t get me wrong, they are both AMAZING playing and sounding instruments, that’s why they came home, but both have binding and fretboard flaws. One has an obvious paint flaw at the neck joint. My SG standard has a bridge pickup that I’m still not fully certain works 100%.

They are unique instruments and they vary in their finish precision by quite a bit. It is what it is. Nobody is attacking your instrument choices.

Happy Belated New Goldtop Day!!! Two things. First, I love Goldtops. See my R7. A good Goldtop is an absolute gem in any Les Paul collection.

Second, Gibson P90s are great. I have no doubt that Lollar, ThroBak or whomever else makes a great P90 but I’ve never disliked the Gibson ones I have in my SG. I think the only other ones I’d honestly be curious about are Wolfetones. But I love the P90s in my SG. They’ve got PAF like mids but with some single coil snarl. Love em.

As to Gibson QC, most of mine have been bought used so any issues they may have had were probably corrected in some capacity over time, if they had them. Same with my Heritage guitars as they pretty much built the same. On a new Gibson, the only thing I ever encountered was the nut cut too deep on my SG. A trip to my luthier and it was sorted out with a new unbleached bone nut. Which I preferred anyway. The only issue I’d have with buying a brand new Gibson is the prices today for some of them.

Happy Belated New Goldtop Day!!! Two things. First, I love Goldtops. See my R7. A good Goldtop is an absolute gem in any Les Paul collection.

Second, Gibson P90s are great. I have no doubt that Lollar, ThroBak or whomever else makes a great P90 but I’ve never disliked the Gibson ones I have in my SG. I think the only other ones I’d honestly be curious about are Wolfetones. But I love the P90s in my SG. They’ve got PAF like mids but with some single coil snarl. Love em.

As to Gibson QC, most of mine have been bought used so any issues they may have had were probably corrected in some capacity over time, if they had them. Same with my Heritage guitars as they pretty much built the same. On a new Gibson, the only thing I ever encountered was the nut cut too deep on my SG. A trip to my luthier and it was sorted out with a new unbleached bone nut. Which I preferred anyway. The only issue I’d have with buying a brand new Gibson is the prices today for some of them.

Gibson P90s are killer. I’ve always considered them to be the standard by which all other P90s are measured. Lots of love here for the factory P90s in my LP Special, they sound incredible.

IMG_1659.jpeg

Last edited:
Back