NGTD - Where's all the supposed Gibson quality control issues I been hearing about?

Meh, it's kinda cool I guess. The fretboard inlays are a little too blingy for my tastes and that custom made plaque covering the stoptail holes is kind of corny, like what you'd see on a bowling trophy or something. I prefer a more understated look on ES-3_5 guitars. But that's cool, you do you.

View attachment 30214

I like long guard 58 style 335s but also like the early 60s block 335s too. They both have their own thing going on. Two different looks but still cool.

Meh, it's kinda cool I guess. The fretboard inlays are a little too blingy for my tastes and that custom made plaque covering the stoptail holes is kind of corny, like what you'd see on a bowling trophy or something. I prefer a more understated look on ES-3_5 guitars. But that's cool, you do you.

View attachment 30214
I prefer late 50s 335’s too but I don’t get too many in because the price is getting high.
Here is a 59 Les Paul I had in;
IMG_1883.jpeg

I’m glad you like the gold top it will be a great instrument .
But make sure you keep it in the case.
IMG_3389.jpeg
It's going to be spending a lot of time out of it's case and in my hands. In over 40 years I never broke a Gibson headstock or heard of anyone breaking a headstock until I started reading and posting on these online forums.

I prefer late 50s 335’s too but I don’t get too many in because the price is getting high.
Here is a 59 Les Paul I had in;
View attachment 30221
It's in really good condition for a '59! A lot of people love flame and figuring on their guitar tops. I kind of like unfigured wood on a guitar better. Again less "bling", I prefer plainer tops like in the pic below. And to my eyes LPs look better with their pickups covers on. But that '59 is a very desirable and valuable guitar to many people.

20230304_150205.jpg

Last edited:
It's going to be spending a lot of time out of it's case and in my hands. In over 40 years I never broke a Gibson headstock or heard of anyone breaking a headstock until I started reading and posting on these online forums.

I broke a headstock on a les paul once. I had it repaired but the guy didn't do a particularly great job and it broke again in the same place about a year later. I had it repaired by Jonathan at Feline guitars in London the second time and he actually did a wonderful job but I was so annoyed with the guitar by this stage that I sold it at a massive loss.

It's in really good condition for a '59! A lot of people love flame and figuring in their guitar tops. I kind of like unfigured wood on a guitar better. Again "bling", I prefer plaintops. And to my eyes LPs look better with their pickups covers on. But this one is a very desirable and valuable guitar to many people.
I really liked it , it’s had a very well done refret and a new nut . Apart from that and the covers being removed it’s all there. I valued it at around £275k for insurance but it should only be sold at auction.

I broke a headstock on a les paul once. I had it repaired but the guy didn't do a particularly great job and it broke again in the same place about a year later. I had it repaired by Jonathan at Feline guitars in London the second time and he actually did a wonderful job but I was so annoyed with the guitar by this stage that I sold it at a massive loss.
Here is one I did.
DSC01063.jpeg

And after ;
DSC01119.jpeg

BD80188D-5F16-44BE-B018-6BB1008829E1.jpeg

Fortunately/unfortunately it is a Murphy limited Joe Walsh so I could use the relic to my advantage.

Honestly it’s one of my most common structural repairs. I’ve done well over 100 and 99% where Gibson.

Honestly it’s one of my most common structural repairs. I’ve done well over 100 and 99% where Gibson.
I'm glad I don't have to see the broken headstocks and other faults, flaws and issues that guitar techs see due to the nature of their work.

I'm glad I don't have to see the broken headstocks and other faults, flaws and issues that guitar techs see due to the nature of their work.
Enjoy your guitar. I still love to play and try to see the good side in stuff because nothing is perfect . Most famous guitars that I have played are not good examples but the player made them iconic. I see quite a few because I authenticate stuff for auction.
IMG_3723.jpeg

Always a fun ticket.

Here is one I did.
View attachment 30223
And after ;
View attachment 30224
View attachment 30225
Fortunately/unfortunately it is a Murphy limited Joe Walsh so I could use the relic to my advantage.

My first repair was done in N Ireland by someone I'd never used before. The tech I always used retired and this other guy was recommended by a few people. He did a pretty poor job tbh.

After it broke the second time (from tension this time, it literally snapped off while I was playing it) I took it to feline and Jonathan did a really great job. It was barely visible and you certainly couldn't feel it.

I've not needed anything doing since we moved back to NI. Not sure who I'll use now.

I don't like Gibson, but it has more to do with the necks I've played feeling very uncomfortable in my hand. You seem to like them, so obviously that isn't an issue for you. Enjoy!

I've seen plenty of Gibson QC problems since I first became interested within the past twenty years, so I stopped even pulling them down to try at a certain point. Hopefully they're better these days, but I just can't get behind their pricing unless their production quality was commensurate with other brands at the same price level. I can't believe at their prices they mostly don't do stainless steel frets, and I can't believe they would buy a company like Steinberger then do almost nothing with it. Maybe I have too much animosity toward them, but there are plenty of other brands that don't bother me the way Gibson does.

Cool NGD! Gold top LP's with P90's are pretty sweet.

Both my newer LP's were pretty good in terms of QC and fit and finish but they were satin faded models so expected to be rough. Both had really good Plek'd fretwork and pretty decent nuts too.

Out of curiosity, what are the most common issues you encounter on guitars, regardless of brand? What are the worst common issues (structural or otherwise expensive/hard to fix)?

I feel like a badly cut nut is the most common issue I've had to fix on my own guitars, but that's easy.

I always go to Jon for any guitar work. He did the frets on my LP and it is the best damn guitar I've ever played.

Back