Which amp? Asking for a... friend.

Which one?

Votes: 9 56.3%
  • JEL-20

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • other (under 1,700)

Votes: 5 31.3%

• Total voters
Really enjoying my Stealth 50W. I play the blue channel with gain at 3 and can use that for anything up to 70s rock. Turn the gain knob to 5 and it's all the gain I really need for anything 80s-modern. Can get cleaner and can get meaner. Versatile AF.

Just to throw more options out there what about anything from the studio lineup from Marshall if looking for a small box british tone? I have the faintest bit of gas for a mini jube

Just to throw more options out there what about anything from the studio lineup from Marshall if looking for a small box british tone? I have the faintest bit of gas for a mini jube
I've been eyeballing that lineup too so not out of the question yet. But the reason I'm drawn to the Friedman is that it's already a modded Marshall circuit which is more what I'm after. Although the Jube could be fun.

Overall, It's been a while since I've treated myself to a new amp but I don't want to spend a ton of money either so that's part of the reason I'm going for these low watters. I already have 100 and 85 watt amps when needed. I have 15 and 20 watt amps too but they're not a modded Marshall circuit.

Nice. Is it based on a Marshall?
I do not believe, it is a design that stems from the original super group amps...which are all there own thing, but much as we all know....most of the stuff evolved from the bassman....but if you look at the history of Lyndon Laney he knows music and amp design...just look up the history, it is way cool.

As with all the loud amps from this period....aside from the daynakit based ones, they all had similarities and they all coped stuff from each other. From my understanding, vintage Laney magic is in the original transformers and speaker cabs.....

But, this has its new and better heart? Maybe.

I'm only offering a different option...and opinion.....so take it for what it's worth.

I may have schematics somewhere that show the original pre, because I wanted to build a pedal based on it.....one of many projects.

Mine sucked.....found a new one....and I suppose you are correct, it is similar to the super lead....but not the same from my experience.

Screenshot_20240723-183504_Drive.jpg

Last edited:
I do not believe, it is a design that stems from the original super group amps...which are all there own thing, but much as we all know....most of the stuff evolved from the bassman....but if you look at the history of Lyndon Laney he knows music and amp design...just look up the history, it is way cool.

As with all the loud amps from this period....aside from the daynakit based ones, they all had similarities and they all coped stuff from each other. From my understanding, vintage Laney magic is in the original transformers and speaker cabs.....

But, this has its new and better heart? Maybe.

I'm only offering a different option...and opinion.....so take it for what it's worth.

I may have schematics somewhere that show the original pre, because I wanted to build a pedal based on it.....one of many projects.
Ok, I looked into it a bit more. Definitely more in a vintage vibe and the eq section is different from a Marshall or tweed bassman based on what I'm hearing. I may check out the schematic to confirm though. Either way, it's getting a bit away from what I'm looking for atm. Something with more gain on tap with a good master and preferably an effects loop.

Ok, I looked into it a bit more. Definitely more in a vintage vibe and the eq section is different from a Marshall or tweed bassman based on what I'm hearing. I may check out the schematic to confirm though. Either way, it's getting a bit away from what I'm looking for atm. Something with more gain on tap with a good master and preferably an effects loop.
Got you...I'll slink away now ...hehe.

Marshall head and cab. Ain't nothing like the real thing baby!

$1049-$1799. If the 100 watt is too much wattage, go for the 50 watt or 20 watt version.

Back