What kind of music were you playing…

metropolis_4

Shredder
… when you first started getting serious about your playing? And has that style continued to shape your sound?

I was talking with another player at a gig yesterday and he told me his theory that, whatever style you were playing when you first started getting serious about playing, sort of imprints itself on you, and becomes a core part of what makes you sound like you.

Kind of like how core memories work in the move Inside Out.

I was telling him I wish I could play jazz better, but my jazz always sounds like country. When I think about it, I started playing guitar as my fun outlet while studying jazz drums. It was my escape from the hard work of music school and percussion.

But then a great gig landed in my lap to play guitar for a country band (how this happened is a whole other story). This was the first time I ever played guitar professionally, and it was the first time I ever really took guitar playing seriously; as something more than just a fun diversion. I dug in deep and I grew more as a player than I ever had before.

I’ve only played one country gig in the past 10 years, but still that style has stuck with me and colored everything I play with a bit of country. It’s like it’s permanently woven into the fabric of me as a musician.

I was just learning Gilmour licks and noodling along to my favorite songs, which were pretty much only Floyd and maybe some AIC back then. I think the shift from “He’s had a guitar for a couple years and loves it” to “He’s a lifer” was when dad agreed to buy me a new amp if I learned a Hellecasters tune, start to finish, note for note and by ear. That’s the first time I ever sat down and looked at it as ‘work’ and both dad and I learned some things about myself with that bet.

I suppose for me that’s when it became a reality that I could intentionally learn to do what I wanted and wasn’t just happening upon things when I noodled, which made it more serious for me. And dad learned not to make bets he wasn’t ready to pay up for.

This may be why these Di Meola Sessions I am doing are so damn fun, and providing
so much interesting growth and learning from both a playing perspective, and compositional
perspective. :unsure:

I've never chosen to play or sound like this. Super outside my zone. But they say the human brain
craves novelty, and routine makes us sleepy. Something I think everyone understands on a Monday. :LOL:

I'll be chasing more novelty in the future for sure. :beer

Phase 1: Jimmy Page, Ritchie Blackmore, Tony Iommi
Phase 2: John McLaughlin, Allan Holdsworth, Al DiMeola
Phase 3: Robben Ford, Scott Henderson, Michael Landau

Also mixed in: Trower, Kossoff, Nugent, Beck, Carlton, Gilmour, Howe, Lifeson, Sheckner, Noy, Krantz, Satriani, Vai, Malmsteen, Travers, and a hundred more.

Last edited:
The early big ones were Satch, Vai, Hendrix, Jeff Beck, Big Head Todd & the Monsters, SRV, Floyd, Mike Stern, Metheny, Santana, Johnny Guitar Watson, Matthew Sweet, Zeppelin....

Many more along the way.

Edit: just reread the OP. I kinda misunderstood.
I was serious early on because I just wanted to keep learning, but my first band took it to another level. We played original tunes, funky roots rock jam band. Sort of eclectic. I guess I'm still that way.

Last edited:
Whatever rock/hard rock/metal music that was around in 1983.

I think if you practice regularly and push and challenge yourself in learning new styles/player styles you haven't attempted yet, you can break out of the "funk" of whatever it was you were doing when you first started.

(which I'm sure, for many of us, was constantly whoring out the Pentatonic Minor box scale) :p

Also have to add, remember: it's all muscle memory for the most part.

Last edited:
you can break out of the "funk" of constantly whoring out the Pentatonic Minor box scale
giphy.gif

The Hellecasters are primo guitarists and not dudes to fuck with.

Every guitarist worth his salt knows that Nashville is the true center of the scary player universe.
Beck told a great story of his first visit to Nashville for some studio work in the 60s.

Late in the day as he's packing up the old guy that was sweeping up the place asked to see his guitar.
After a couple minutes Jeff was ready to retire on the spot and go back to England to work on cars for a living. :LOL:

It was the late 80’s and early 90’s for me, so it was the metal, hair bands, and instrumental guitar virtuosos of that era.

Definitely left an impression on me and shaped my playing into what it is today.

Research has pretty much determined that the music that was formative in our youth (especially
our teens) will always be precious to us. That said, I know more and less open-minded people
when it comes to music. Some are very and highly exclusive in their tastes. Others are more inclusive.

I do have a feeling those who are more inclusive (or always have been more inclusive) are going to
adapt better to other styles of playing than those of their formative years. :idk

Awesome thread @metropolis_4 !!

I grew up listening to classic rock. Zep, Floyd, etc.. I got (semi)serious playing guitar in the mid 90's during the grunge explosion so I was learning both of those genres at the same time.

The thing that really intrigues me about this "imprinting" thing is that I started learning bass at the same time cause one of my best friends already had years of guitar under his belt (he was quite good) and if we were gonna start a band we'd need to find a bass player, so that was me.

That ended up landing me gigs in rock group playing bass with dudes twice my age. I cut my chops for a few years doing that and became a pretty competent bass player. All of those guys would sight read and I'd been playing trombone since 5th grade so i could read bass clef and improvise my parts.

I always wanted to be the flashy rock guitarist tho, so in my 20's I went straight guitar... fronted a band.. the works. But the bass never stopped beckoning me and I honestly think I would've had a real career in music had I dropped the ego and stuck with bass.

Back to the music part, I am still rooted in the "formative" years as they say. So 70's and 90's rock (i mostly ignored 80's rock back then, sorry) are my default settings but with a classical music influence from my 6+ years playing in orchestras... (I was 1st chair godammit!) add to that my brain goes bass line first even when playing guitar..

Jeez.. sorry for so many words... I think I need to lie down

GIF by Best Coast

Music my parents listened to that I liked, Blues Rock, Hard Rock, RnB. Stuff that was popular when I was a kid, Grunge, Pop Punk, Nu Metal. Music I started to discover on my own like Hardcore, Thrash and Shred.

I keep adding more to the pallete and it keeps changing the way I play. I shred and thrash a little less.

The bands that inspired me to start playing guitar were The Manic Street Preachers and Metallica. Then as I learned more I got into all the shred guys - Satriani, Vai, Petrucci, Marty Friedman, Jason Becker etc. Then I discovered Gary Moore and feel like all eras of his stuff is kind of my thing. I no longer have the chops for the shred stuff because I can't be bothered to woodshed like in my youth. I'm fine with that.

But nowadays I find myself playing a lot of what could be categorized as indie rock, blues rock or something.

I saw Blackmore on tv and wanted to be like him…. I learned my smoke on water riff on classical guitar…. Action was so high you could fit Everest in it .. no wonder why it was so hard to play.

Long story short…

I went from rock to metal and stayed there ever since. I do enjoy other types of music but thrash metal is my “juicy stake” all other music is no tasty and good like stake at least to me.

When that riffs hits you man, my brain goes “ everybody dance now” .

I hope i made sense with this post hahah

Awesome thread @metropolis_4 !!

I grew up listening to classic rock. Zep, Floyd, etc.. I got (semi)serious playing guitar in the mid 90's during the grunge explosion so I was learning both of those genres at the same time.

The thing that really intrigues me about this "imprinting" thing is that I started learning bass at the same time cause one of my best friends already had years of guitar under his belt (he was quite good) and if we were gonna start a band we'd need to find a bass player, so that was me.

That ended up landing me gigs in rock group playing bass with dudes twice my age. I cut my chops for a few years doing that and became a pretty competent bass player. All of those guys would sight read and I'd been playing trombone since 5th grade so i could read bass clef and improvise my parts.

I always wanted to be the flashy rock guitarist tho, so in my 20's I went straight guitar... fronted a band.. the works. But the bass never stopped beckoning me and I honestly think I would've had a real career in music had I dropped the ego and stuck with bass.

Back to the music part, I am still rooted in the "formative" years as they say. So 70's and 90's rock (i mostly ignored 80's rock back then, sorry) are my default settings but with a classical music influence from my 6+ years playing in orchestras... (I was 1st chair godammit!) add to that my brain goes bass line first even when playing guitar..

Jeez.. sorry for so many words... I think I need to lie down

GIF by Best Coast

Sweet! Bass lines are the most unappreciated and essential element in Modern music.

Period. Full stop. :hmm

I think this is why the 70's is such a great period in music history. Bass lines that ruled.
Grunge kind of brought an hint of that back to the fore with STP and Robert Deleo, Krist
from Nirvana, and Jeff Ament from PJ. All killer bassists who don't do the lazy Metal thing
of repeating everything the guitarist does. I say that with love and affection for a lot of Metal.
I just miss out on the great melodic movement and counterpoint of a killer Bass line in most
Modern Music.

I don't play much Maiden, Dio, Ozzy, Black Sabbath, or Queensryche.... but those licks
and riffs will always come out of me when I sit down and play.

Have always had a diverse taste and interest in Music. Usually more diverse than those
I play with. It's challenging for me to abide those with narrow interests and tastes. I've
gigged Motown, Oldies, Country, Jazz, Blues, Metal, Classic Rock, and Alternative over
the years. All at well below mediocre levels. Being diverse doesn't mean being excellent
in my case. :LOL:

I still listen to everything from Miles Davis to Bob Marley to Van Morrison to Michael
Schenker, and Chopin on a weekly basis. I ain't eating Cheeseburgers every damn meal
of my life. And I am not listening to one damn kind of music either. :beer

I don't play much Maiden, Dio, Ozzy, Black Sabbath, or Queensryche.... but those licks
and riffs will always come out of me when I sit down and play.

Have always had a diverse taste and interest in Music. Usually more diverse than those
I play with. It's challenging for me to abide those with narrow interests and tastes. I've
gigged Motown, Oldies, Country, Jazz, Blues, Metal, Classic Rock, and Alternative over
the years. All at well below mediocre levels. Being diverse doesn't mean being excellent
in my case. :LOL:

I still listen to everything from Miles Davis to Bob Marley to Van Morrison to Michael
Schenker, and Chopin on a weekly basis. I ain't eating Cheeseburgers every damn meal
of my life. And I am not listening to one damn kind of music either. :beer
You were fine until you just came out of nowhere and attacked cheeseburgers! :hmm
frustrated the muppets GIF

Back