What kind of music were you playing…

Phase 1 BB King and Gary Moore
Phase 2 Vai & Satch
Phase 3 Ford, Stern, Henderson
Phase 4 Hall, Rainey,
phase 5 …hmm..don’t listen to guitars much tbh…

I defenitly have traces of Vai’s vibrato left…applied in music on a very different side of the music spectrum..

Well, considering I never "got serious" until about 7 years ago, the stuff I skated my way through for the first 35 or so years consisted of mostly all kinds of classic rock, and if a solo was too much for me, I just "legatoed" my way through it, with many oft-repeated phrases, I'm quite certain. I just never took the time. I learned a few solos note-for-note, but that was about it.

But since then, I've mostly focused on alt-picking technique, with solos that are actually melodic, in that they follow chord changes. (Yeah, go figure!) I never bothered, but would just pick a key to solo in. Looking back, I'm sure my improvised shit sounded pretty bad.

And since I'm currently learning a difficult Paganini piece, when I noodle around, I can already tell it's rubbing off on me. I'm starting to be able to hear chords in my head, and change what I'm playing to fit, and being able to make it sound..., musical. And getting comfortable with harmonic minor riffs, which is probably one of my favorite "sounds" in general.

started with Jimi, Johnny Winter, Rory Gallagher, Blackmore as a kid
When I got into playing in bands it was a mix of Zappa, DiMeola, Schenker, Uli Roth.

Which led to the 80s guys like Maiden, Dio, when I started making money with it.

Next Holdsworth and the shred guys.

By the early 90s it was Landau, Stern, etc.

In the last decade the 40s/50s guys like Wes, Benson, Martino

Now I don’t listen to music recreationally.

I learned a lot of different stuff in my formative years, but the ones that stand out in my memory are the Beatles (mainly Rubber Soul and Revolver) and some Blues Brothers live cds. This was the mid eighties. I was also a huge Priest fan, so that is lurking in my subconscious as well.

Back