What was your FIRST show (as a spectator)??

Wow. That's cool. They held me over 6 months to help condition the overweight guys from the Nuclear Power School.
It was a cushy job, and not sure how I fell into it.
Ha, the Navy works in mysterious ways! Kind of sad that the base is long gone, which never made a lot of sense to me. That reminds me, I replied to you in some other thread here - I think mentioning I was in 85-91 and was an EW, for what that's worth :grin

Ah yesssss Drift! I saw them on Cautro as well as Drift. They moved away from thrash/speed on those but I really thought they were great in that era \m/
Yep!!! Smoked Out & Wading through the Darkness were my favorite F&J songs, so it was the perfect show to catch them! I agree they were getting better as songwriters and it was honestly my favorite era for them.

• Love
Reactions: JT
Yep!!! Smoked Out & Wading through the Darkness were my favorite F&J songs, so it was the perfect show to catch them! I agree they were getting better as songwriters and it was honestly my favorite era for them.
Man; soooooooo much good stuff. I love the moodier stuff. Secret Square, Destructive Signs, Double Zero, Missing...I need to pull these back out. They were one of THE best at crossing over from thrash to a more modern approach without feeling like they were selling out. GREAT band!

Neglecting a few semi-intentional shows... E.g. I remember seeing Sha Na Na with my mom at a local venue, when I was maybe 8 years old? (Anybody else remember that brief 50's pop culture explosion after the movie "Grease" came out? At 8 y.o. I wasn't too cool for that yet. :D)

My first "real concert" was the so-called "Black & Blue" tour. Black Sabbath/ Blue Oyster Cult double bill. Sabbath was touring for Heaven and Hell, I believe. I remember being astonished that they "opened" for BOC. :D That was ~1980, so I must have been 11. They released Mob Rules the following year - no idea how they had time to write and record that, in addition to touring H&H - and I vaguely remember going to that show as well. (When they came back around for Born Again, I found Tony Iommi puttering around a Foot Locker shopping for tennis shoes, and - hyperventilating LOL - I had him sign my denim jacket.)

Last edited:
1989 Metallica with Cult opener, racetrack at Weedsport, NY.

"You know its summer when you're rocking at Weedsport!"

Warrant opening for Poison, November 1990 at the Philly Spectrum. As much as people like to talk shit about bands like that from the late 80s/early 90s, they really put on a big show. I was 15 and had the time of my life. After that the floodgates opened and it was one concert after another.

Warrant opening for Poison, November 1990 at the Philly Spectrum. As much as people like to talk s**t about bands like that from the late 80s/early 90s, they really put on a big show. I was 15 and had the time of my life. After that the floodgates opened and it was one concert after another.

You won't find much sh*t talking about 80's bands here, we're almost all 40+ and grew up with it!

Bon Jovi's first tour, opening for the Scorpions Love at first sting - Allentown Fairgrounds.

A lot was being thrown at the stage during the Bon Jovi set, apparently most of the people wanted to hear the Scorpions - Great show.

Saw Iron maiden there a few months later.

Between there and the Philly Spectrum I saw, Rush, Yes, Nugent open for Aerosmith, Metallica, Judas Priest and a bunch of others I can't recall now, and some I probably couldn't quite tell you at the time because of something like a liter bottle of Canadian Windsor and some dried greenish brown plant like substance. All I remember is there weren't enough soft pretzels or Pepsi on the planet at that point in time.

When I lived in SoCal I saw a bunch of good shows, Motorhead, Metallica and GNR show was great but holy hell Slash's rig was killing me and we left early. IIRC a few months earlier Jeff Beck played through Slashes rig for a show and he ended up with severe tinnitus on Locomotive.

My body and head were numb for nearly 2 days after that show at the LA Coliseum and we were about 60 yards back from the stage. Black Album where James was still nursing the burns from the earlier show with the riot due to the pyro accident no alcohol to avoid another potential riot. Warrant, I think Firehouse opened for them.

Last edited:
Actually a bit funny....

All ages show. First time I felt my clothes flapping around from the sound pressure coming off of a stage. Quite the experience for an impressionable young lad.

Oh...hi everybody! :beer

Last edited:
Jimmy Buffett - lol.
I was maybe 13 or 14, show was outdoors in the Atlanta area around '87/88 I think. Pretty certain it was Lakewood Amphitheater at the time. I went with my mom and stepdad. It was a good atmosphere, pot smoke swirling about and lots of people having fun.

Thin Lizzy - Chateu Neuf, Oslo, Norway April 1980:

Thin Lizzy 1980.jpg

I was 16 years then.

Hmm, the first real concert I attended was Angel and Molly Hatchett. I was probably about 14 and I think it was in early 1979, just around
the time MH's cover of Dreams I'll Never See was getting a lot of play on the local FM stations.

Back