What was your FIRST show (as a spectator)??

Marillion, December 1984
Hammersmith Odeon, London

Yes, gentlemen: full-on Prog with much lyrical embellishment. I was 14.

Most of the crowd were much bigger than me; that is to say, fully grown adults. I suppose at least half of them smoked. Like all gigs back then, it stank of smoke and beer. Pretty exciting for a teenager to be with a big roaring crowd like that.

Got my first tour t-shirt 🙂
That was a very cool band to see first time out! Hell yeah! :rawk

Symphony X in Toronto, 2008. The Paradise Lost tour, so Epica opened for them. :headbang

It was an awesome show for 16 year old me, I was in peak prog mode then. :geek:

I actually found a bootleg video of the whole show on YouTube a while ago, and it’s a great one! Hearing this back, I remember the live sound was really well mixed for a smallish venue.

Last edited:
Rough Cutt was the opener at the show I saw. Don’t think I ever heard of them again come to think of it. 😂

One fact about Rough Cut that surprised me, Amir Derakh from Orgy used to be in Rough Cut. I remember finding that out in the late 90’s and thinking “How f*cking old is that dude?!?“

Van Hagar and BTO in Biloxi, MS, 1986. Drove over from my Navy school in Pensacola, FL.

Ate lunch at the Orange Julius at the mall after drinking beer the whole way there, got funkin food poisoning in about 3 hours and missed most (or all?) of BTO while I :barf and shit on the beach. Not my finest hour, but I didn't miss any EVH time!

KISS with Ted Nugent opening. KISS blew my mind! Yeah, it was the Crazy Nights tour, not exactly their best era, but it was still a KISS show and I was 13 years old. Super fun. Went with my cousin, who was two years older and a huge KISS fan. We took the bus from a small town to the city for about an hour to get there, first time doing a trip like that on our own. Great memories.

Lollapalooza 94: Smashing Pumpkins, Beastie Boys, George Clinton, The Breeders, L7, Green Day.

All downhill from there. :ROFLMAO:

I saw that tour, but without Green Day on the bill. Awesome show. Saw all the original run of Lollapaloozas except the first and last ones, I think. Last one I went to had Metallica and Soundgarden, pretty amazing.

I still keep the ticket. Rainbow + Scorpions + Def Leppard. Barcelona, July 1981

Not my first show, I saw Medina Azahara, Ñu and Leño before, but the first one of a international band
20230123_121906.jpg

1981barcelona2a.jpg

Last edited:
My actual first show: Medina Azahara in 1980

Andalusian Progressive Rock

Cool that we still used the lighter, and not the mobile phone torchlight, to wave the hands on the air 🕯

Last edited:
Van Halen’s free concert in Dallas in 1991.

Got taken out of school by my brother in law. Best move ever. We almost got trampled several times by the crowd rush but eventually made it about 20 feet from Eddie. He had a beard and was playing the EBMM. It was life-changing.

My first show I ever went to was still the best. $13 at the old Compton Terrace south of Phoenix, 20,000 people there for these 4 bands in 1995:

Fear Factory
Korn
Flotsam & Jetsam
Megadeth

It doesn't get better than that IMO.

My first show I ever went to was still the best. $13 at the old Compton Terrace south of Phoenix, 20,000 people there for these 4 bands in 1995:

Fear Factory
Korn
Flotsam & Jetsam
Megadeth

It doesn't get better than that IMO
Great lineup \m/ I saw FF on SOANM tour, F&J a couple of times (Storm Comes Down, Cuatro). Criminally underrated. Didn't Korn up for Megadeth on Countdown or Youthanasia tour? Actually; this was that tour. I don't recall FF being on the date though?

Van Hagar and BTO in Biloxi, MS, 1986. Drove over from my Navy school in Pensacola, FL.

Ate lunch at the Orange Julius at the mall after drinking beer the whole way there, got funkin food poisoning in about 3 hours and missed most (or all?) of BTO while I :barf and s**t on the beach. Not my finest hour, but I didn't miss any EVH time!

Cool. I was in Orlando at the NTC in 1986.

Great lineup \m/ I saw FF on SOANM tour, F&J a couple of times (Storm Comes Down, Cuatro). Criminally underrated. Didn't Korn up for Megadeth on Countdown or Youthanasia tour? Actually; this was that tour. I don't recall FF being on the date though?
Yeah, and get this, each band was touring off an awesome album. Fear Factory had just released Demanufacture. Korn off their debut, megadeth off of Youthanasia, and Flostam and Jetsam off of Drift. It was 5 hours or so of just incredible music.

Yeah, and get this, each band was touring off an awesome album. Fear Factory had just released Demanufacture. Korn off their debut, megadeth off of Youthanasia, and Flostam and Jetsam off of Drift. It was 5 hours or so of just incredible music.
Ah yesssss Drift! I saw them on Cautro as well as Drift. They moved away from thrash/speed on those but I really thought they were great in that era \m/

Just barely missed you, I was there Oct-Dec '85.

Wow. That's cool. They held me over 6 months to help condition the overweight guys from the Nuclear Power School.
It was a cushy job, and not sure how I fell into it.

Back