What I'd like to see from Mesa Boogie Next

Who the hell knows, I’ve only been 50 feet away from one at closest. I did have the opportunity to ask Matt Schieferstein if the MKV on IIC+ mode is legit. He told me its definitely in the ballpark and they came configured in so many ways and all sound so different so yes, it is legit. Thats when I bought a MKV.

I would guess the answer for the JP2C would be about the same.
The MKV is Randall’s masterpiece.
Such a great amp if your willing to admit it, lol!
The MKIV in the MKV is killer, I like how you can tweak it further.
The ultimate “Dad’s Amp”.,lmao!,
kids these days
have no desire for the old school hammers,
they crave the ultra-mega-inferno modes..
-count me in too!!!

kids these days
-count me in too!!!
Not his last one though.

EL84s mean I am "always" going to get power tube distortion. Even when I don't want it 99.9% of the time. That's why they are always a hard no in my book; even for low volume playing.
Depends on the amp.
I have a Roccaforte Custom TopBoost
with 4 EL84’s & tube rectified.
Even in the normal channel, there’s herds of headroom, Johnny Marr levels of jangle.
It’s one of the most incredible amps I’ve ever felt & heard.’
Takes pedals like a channel in the amp
The Carl Martin Plexi-Ranger is INSANE with it.
Even ‘verb & delay right in front works great.
With the ultra responsive EQ, you can push this or that to achieve a pleasant edge of break-up or early break-up, the adjuster’s are right in front of you!
Super good build quality and the vibe oozes mojo for miles & miles…

The image below displays the rear end of the
walking tall 4 EL84’s /tube rectifier , pre-amp tube line-up with the back grill removed.
This thing is rad dude’s!!!!

Attachments

• DE0133F9-75A2-4092-9EC2-D8099E7D40D9.jpeg
    DE0133F9-75A2-4092-9EC2-D8099E7D40D9.jpeg
    359.2 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
kids these days
-count me in too!!!
The problem I have with all the versions of the Mark V is that all the best modes are isolated on one channel. I much prefer amps like the Dual rec or JP2C where you have two high gain channels you can set for different sounds. I played tons of shows with a triple rectifier, and having Red Modern for rhythm and Orange Vintage for leads was glorious. You can’t have Extreme mode for rhythms and IIC+ mode for Leads on a Mark V. Not an issue for everyone, but it sure kept me away from that amp.

EL84s mean I am "always" going to get power tube distortion. Even when I don't want it 99.9% of the time. That's why they are always a hard no in my book; even for low volume playing.

Depends on the amp.

Correct.

My Grandmeister Deluxe 40 has (4) EL-84's, and while it's not quite like a "normal" amp, the clean channel is extremely clean, even very high up on the gain dial, and the master volume just makes it louder, not distorted.

My old Peavey Classics, (also a quad of EL-84's), while the "pre" control did distort on higher settings, it was the same. Set that control lower and the master higher, and it's spanky clean, etc.

Plenty of clean headroom on both.

The problem I have with all the versions of the Mark V is that all the best modes are isolated on one channel. I much prefer amps like the Dual rec or JP2C where you have two high gain channels you can set for different sounds. I played tons of shows with a triple rectifier, and having Red Modern for rhythm and Orange Vintage for leads was glorious. You can’t have Extreme mode for rhythms and IIC+ mode for Leads on a Mark V. Not an issue for everyone, but it sure kept me away from that amp.
That's interesting. I've always wanted to try a Mark V, hearing it was a very versatile Mesa amp (mainly from reading reviews on SW), but I suppose it's like everything gear-related: It has to work for you and how you use it. I have a DR and it amazes me how versatile it can be, but I've never actually tried to set it up for that versatility in a live situation.

I mean, it's not very practical if getting that versatility requires the use of one channel, and changing the settings. (Unless maybe you grouped your songs together, and then changed the amp settings during a break. Do people do that, I wonder?)

Orange vintage was my jam on a triple rec for years as well. Still miss that amp even though it’s crazy impractical for what I do these days…

D

Good points.

I would love to see Mesa update the JP-2C with the same internal reactive load setup in the Badlander.
Also, please remove the stupid reverb tank that you cut a hole out of the bottom of the amp to fit. Ridiculous!

I would love to see Mesa update the JP-2C with the same internal reactive load setup in the Badlander.
Also, please remove the stupid reverb tank that you cut a hole out of the bottom of the amp to fit. Ridiculous!
Truth. I have no idea why they include reverb on some of their amps. If the JP2C had the updated CabClone IR that's in the Badlander, it would be even more incredible than it already is.

As a side note, IDK why Mesa doesn't iterate their amps. Like as soon as the CabClone IR came out, the V25, V35, JP2C, and so on should have had that included in their new builds. Not only would they be able to charge a little more, they would better compete against their old amps in the used market.

I’d like to see a modern V-Twin tube preamp with CabClone IR built in, with three channels. That’d be killer. I’m surprised with all these pedalboard solutions, they’ve not done anything like that.

• Love
Reactions: JT
I’d like to see a modern V-Twin tube preamp with CabClone IR built in, with three channels. That’d be killer. I’m surprised with all these pedalboard solutions, they’ve not done anything like that.
Did you ever catch that Ola vid with his modded V-Twin? Oh. My. :satan

You can't get Vox tones, even higher gain ones, without EL84's. The OR15H sounds amazing. Class A EL84's. Mini Rec, Mini Mark, Pink Taco, Dirty Shirley Mini, etc. There's a ton of great EL84 amps.

Having owned them all at one point, I'll 100% attest to the Mini Rec, Mini Mark, and Pink Taco, as well as a Bogner ATMA, as absolutely KICK ASS!!!!!!!!!!! amps - OT type be damned.

Need more low end whomp or clean headroom? Buy a more powerful amp.
MV5BYjUwNTJjYmEtZTE0NC00NmZjLTk1ZTEtMjUzZmY1MTMzYjYyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTgwNjE2MzQ@._V1_.jpg

Back