What I'd like to see from Mesa Boogie Next

paisleywookiee

Rock Star
As many of you likely know, I'm the resident Mesa Boogie fanboy. Yes, I still like them even after the acquisition (so far). What I'd like to see from them next is something they've briefly kinda sorta touched upon with the Transatlantic series, but something more in the vein of the Fillmore/Badlander/Cali area. A Vox-ish variant.

Imagine, if you will, a two EL84, Class-A 20w amp, single channel like the Cali Tweed 2:20, with multiwatt 2/10/20 modes. Built-in reverb. However, like the Fillmore and Badlander, have three different modes: Normal, Top Boost, and Crunchy, the latter going into an area like a Bad Cat-style higher gain structure.

I would order this amp and wait two years so fast, they wouldn't know what hit them!

Fellow Mesa fans (if there are any here), what would you like to see?

If they just updated their entire line to feature MIDI switching I’d be happy.

I can’t think of anything that could top a Mark IIC+(+), IV or the JP2C+ as far as features/tones I‘d want to hear from a Mesa. The only reason I left the Dual Rec out is because the multiple variants that exist….they just need to go back to the one they made in ‘92. Wasn’t a big fan of the triple channal DR’s.

They have flat out said the JP2C is all we are getting for a 2C due to the originals design flaws and limitations. Face it, the channel switching on the Mark II sucked. You get all the tonez now in a modern useful amp.

From Mesa, what I’d like to see? Maintain. Don’t let gibson destroy customer service like they do with every other brand they’ve swallowed. Keep making great amps, that’s it. Maybe even scale down the Recto line. Too many damn options. Let the recto be what it was originally. Maybe offer midi on all the products. Other than that, they’ve always done it right.

Q: Does the JP2C have that feel of the IIC+? I haven’t played one.

I had a 100/60 reverb/GEQ IIC+ that had a very distinct feel on the gain side that I would consider a trademark of that amp. No other MKIV in triode, Triaxis, etc has been able to replicate that. Maybe a Quad Pre but I haven’t played one of those.

I had a 100/60 reverb/GEQ IIC+ that had a very distinct feel on the gain side that I would consider a trademark of that amp. No other MKIV in triode, Triaxis, etc has been able to replicate that. Maybe a Quad Pre but I haven’t played one of those.
Who the hell knows, I’ve only been 50 feet away from one at closest. I did have the opportunity to ask Matt Schieferstein if the MKV on IIC+ mode is legit. He told me its definitely in the ballpark and they came configured in so many ways and all sound so different so yes, it is legit. Thats when I bought a MKV.

I would guess the answer for the JP2C would be about the same.

As many of you likely know, I'm the resident Mesa Boogie fanboy. Yes, I still like them even after the acquisition (so far). What I'd like to see from them next is something they've briefly kinda sorta touched upon with the Transatlantic series, but something more in the vein of the Fillmore/Badlander/Cali area. A Vox-ish variant.

Imagine, if you will, a two EL84, Class-A 20w amp, single channel like the Cali Tweed 2:20, with multiwatt 2/10/20 modes. Built-in reverb. However, like the Fillmore and Badlander, have three different modes: Normal, Top Boost, and Crunchy, the latter going into an area like a Bad Cat-style higher gain structure.

I would order this amp and wait two years so fast, they wouldn't know what hit them!

Fellow Mesa fans (if there are any here), what would you like to see?

Man, isn't that like one feature removed from being a Trans-Atlantic? :idk

I think the TA line was Mesa's most gig-friendly amp. Such a cool series of amps.
I gigged my TA-30 more than any other amp in the past 10 years. It just sounds
f'ing great. How they crammed that much tone into such a tiny little thing is beyond
me. :)

I even have owned a few boutique takes on the Vox circuit and I kept the TA above those--
like 3rd Power and multiple Goodsells.

How many Mesas do you own? :beer

Reactions: bgh
I've come to learn that it doesn't matter what they release, I will still like my Electra Dyne better. :grin
That's a good place to be brotha! I can say, me too (different Mesa gear, but I feel the same way.)

If they just updated their entire line to feature MIDI switching I’d be happy.
I was just thinking the same thing.
I can’t think of anything that could top a Mark IIC+(+), IV or the JP2C+ as far as features/tones I‘d want to hear from a Mesa.
I couldn't agree more, especially after seeing Petrucci up close the other night! GAWD DAT TONE was ear-fuc-king-gasmic!!

I'm sure it does, or JP wouldn't have let Mesa stop tweaking it.

My IIC+‘s feel is magical. I read about the feel of these things from the dawn of the internet and didn’t really get it till I got mine. It’s by far the most fun amp I have to play.

They have a place.

Correct

shutterstock_597557036.jpg

Hey now, I think EL84s are AWESOME for low gain applications, and honestly the Mini Rec and Mark V35/25 amps are fantastic for direct recording.

Having said that I just want Mesa to embrace some more modern qualities. Example? Look at the Badlander, it has 2 channels with 3 modes. imagine if the mode selection was MIDI-enabled. You'd effectively have a 6 channel amp. Add an overdrive circuit like they did with the JP2C shred mode, and you'd have an insanely versatile amp for live performance.

That's what I want to see, innovation. Remove all the damn toggle switches and make the functions available via MIDI or USB so it integrates better with software and FX processors.

Hey now, I think EL84s are AWESOME for low gain applications, and honestly the Mini Rec and Mark V35/25 amps are fantastic for direct recording.

Having said that I just want Mesa to embrace some more modern qualities. Example? Look at the Badlander, it has 2 channels with 3 modes. imagine if the mode selection was MIDI-enabled. You'd effectively have a 6 channel amp. Add an overdrive circuit like they did with the JP2C shred mode, and you'd have an insanely versatile amp for live performance.

That's what I want to see, innovation. Remove all the damn toggle switches and make the functions available via MIDI or USB so it integrates better with software and FX processors.

Others have said this before me, but I think one of the challenges of that MIDI switching for Modes
approach is that there oare often HUGE Volume and EQ differences among the Modes. You'd have
to really have individual volume options for each Mode to pull that off.

Back